March 2010 Reviews - NYC

BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Re: March 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by BillyAddict »

Todd wrote:Sunday, March 7 - 2 p.m.

Billy - Michael Dameski
I consider myself fortunate to have gotten to see him while he's in New York, as it made me see what a treat it must have been for the audiences in Australia while he was there. Thanks for sharing him with us here in the States for however long he's able to be here !

My sentiments were shared by an older gentleman sitting behind me who - just after the show ended - told the people he was with, "That was the best thing I've seen in years !"
One of the two reasons why I am traveling so far later this week to see a show. You summed up Michael's performance so very well. so looking forward to seeing Michael & Dayton on stage as Billy again.

Thanks for the review.
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I'm not great with the written word so here are a few photos from Trent's last night.

Trent taking his final bow

Phil acknowledging Trent

Trent is joined by his parents. Tessa is very upset by this stage

Phil rushing off the stage after rescuing Mike Kowalik from getting buried by the curtain

Trent and Tessa at the stage door after the show

Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

Wow - what fantastic reviews and pics. My eyes welling up just reading the reviews. Must have been an amazing night . Well done Trent -what an awesome achievement on your part xxx
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Thank for the photos Billy Whiz, and to Todd and Musical Fanatic for staying up late to write the reviews. It sounds like an incredible evening!
:/
Moby-Dick
Tall Boy

Post by Moby-Dick »

Todd, Musical Fanatic, and Billy Whiz,

Many thanks are in order!! It was lovely meeting each of you last night, and - to echo the sentiments of those who have already posted - thanks for posting up reviews and pictures so quickly!!
Todd wrote:I was totally sold on [Michael's] interpretation of the part - a tough, angry little ball of fire with amazing acrobatic dance skills and a powerful, melodic singing voice. But perhaps even more than that was an acting performance that lent itself to amazing detail in the way he reacted to every situation and every character he performed with. I noticed things I'd never seen any other Billy do, in terms of reacting to whatever was going on around him. Many of them were subtle, such as a sigh or a bored look of resignation or an edge to his voice when something irritated him. His diction was excellent, as I understood every line as clearly as I ever have before.
What a perfect description of Michael's depiction of Billy. Broadway is lucky to have him!
Todd wrote:[Trent] racked up about every honor you can imagine in his time as Billy, and is as responsible as anyone for the show's success on Broadway so far. Not a bad start in life ! All that's left is to say thank you for all the hard work, sacrifices, and entertainment that he's given to thousands of people, including myself, over these past 2 and half years. One can only imagine the bright future that lies ahead for him.
Hear hear!! Trent is so deserving of all of the accolades he has received for his performances as Billy. Can't wait to see what he gets involved with next!
Musical Fanatic wrote:One of the few times tonight that I saw Trent show emotion was the first kitchen/bed scene. Dad is yelling for him to come down to breakfast and not be late to boxing. I could see him wiping away tears while in the bed. You could also hear the sad emotion in his voice while talking to grandma.
Oh, wow. I hadn't noticed that at all!! Can't imagine what it must have felt like for Trent, starting those beginning scenes in what he knew was going to be his very last performance as Billy. Phew... :shock:

And finally...

What a marvelous photo, Billy Whiz!! Gracious and humble to the very end. Trent will be sorely missed.

x
M-D
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

That photo says a lot of things....if you really stop and think...the photo as Moby Dick says sums a lot of things up...Trent Kowalik is Billy Elliot...has been and always will be......as the letter scene says...."Always remember".....We will Trent we will...
momoregan
Audience Member

Post by momoregan »

Wow!! Thank you all so much for your posts and pictures. I enjoy them so much and cannot wait until I can go see the show again. I promise to return the favor with pictures and a review when that happens...(cross your fingers I can go in April, please!)
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

March 7, 2010. Trent's final, triumphant bow in the role of Billy Elliot.

When we read or write reviews of this amazing show, we heap most praise on the star who plays Billy, because the star of this particular theatrical piece truly carries the show on his back for the entirety of the performance. But when we speak of Trent Kowalik, it is clear he hasn't just carried each show proudly and triumphantly, he's also carried the company, the cast, and the show's many fans as well. Just as Mr. Braithwaite, Older Billy and Dad lift Billy into the air throughout the show, we as fans were lifted every time we saw Trent perform this role. It's a phrase that many of us have used often in the past few months especially and it's as true now as it was months and years ago: Trent Kowalik is Billy Elliot! And in case we needed further proof, he did the unexpected and the amazing on Sunday night at The Imperial: He never broke character.

As we arrived at The Imperial, I saw his family in the lobby and was going to say hello before I realized who they were talking to: the tall man himself, Mr. Stephen Daldry. We asked each other beforehand at dinner if he'd be there and the responses ranged from "I'm sure he will" to "He better be!". And as you've all heard by now, or heard in person that night, Stephen praised Trent almost endlessly at the beginning of the show. This was no courtesy speech. Stephen spoke for minutes about Trent and his importance to the production, the cast and the larger Billy Elliot family. We all felt the momentousness of the night even before it began, but then Stephen's words threw us all into an even higher gear of expectation and deepest gratitude for the gift that Trent has been.

Which is why, if you were Trent backstage at that moment listening, you cannot have helped but find your heart beating out of your chest. And when he came on in that first scene and walked to his chair and got the applause for his entrance, I couldn't take my eyes off him once he sat down. I knew that he knew what a moment this was. Though he didn't break character, his composure at that moment was certainly the equivalent of an engine revving up before an expected race. Nothing too much apparent in his body except for the breathing and the slightest of fidgets. But when it was his turn to speak, he was Billy Elliot. There was no actor to be found within his body or through his eyes. This was Billy Elliot we were watching. And it was game on.

I made sure to keep reminding myself that this was the last time I'd be able to see Trent say this line or sing and dance this number live. I had to. I had to keep reminding myself, because nothing in his performance suggested this was a night he could giggle his way through and enjoy himself--something we all would have enjoyed too, but something this amazing actor would not allow himself to do! It was amazing! His control and dedication were amazing! He was like a machine--a machine you are fascinated to watch perform something unbelievable, and a machine as trustworthy and dependable as no other!

By the time Expressing Yourself was over, my tissues were balled up so tightly in my hands they looked like the kind of lint balls you pull out of pants pockets that have been through the dryer.

At dinner, I told those around me that tonight of all nights, Trent should get a Standing Ovation after Angry Dance. It was his signature number and he wowed us time and time again with it. And even though I knew I'd be standing and hoped others would too, Trent performed it as beautifully as ever and really earned it. What an unexpected triumph it must have been for him to finish that number and see so many people standing and cheering for him, not just for those few minutes we were wowed but in culmination of the many times he's wowed us in that song. And still he stayed in character.

Electricity. Now I don't talk when I'm seeing a show and I'm upset when I hear others talking through a performance. But you better believe I let out an audible "WOW!" when Trent did that aerial!!! What a thing to add on your very last night!!! What courage, what talent and what flare!!! As dancingfool has said, his dance competition background has taught him to always be watching and learning from others, and so I thank Dayton and Michael for teaching him that and I thank Trent for having the awesome guts to pull it off in his final performance in the role!!! WOW, WOW, WOW!!!

There were some beautiful tributes to Trent throughout the night by his cast family, an unusual hug, a more smiley than usual "See ya Sunshine" and a much more emotional Mrs. Wilkinson thanks to Kate Hennig's personal sadness at saying goodbye to Trent. But by far my favorite has to be Tony's reference to Billy being 15 at the start of Angry Dance. And as I laughed at that loudly, I was immediately dumbstruck at how no one on stage seemed to break character when he said that, not even (of course!) Trent! He just so immersed himself in that role every time he was on, that he would just do no other than the same thing on his last night. And silly us for thinking he wouldn't! How could he not stay in character?! How could he not?! He is Billy Elliot!!!

I have been very honored to see Trent perform the role 5 or 6 times out of the 12 times I've seen the show total. I've also been very lucky to see him in his hometown of Wantagh, New York, 14 minutes from where I live on the Island, when he was the Grand Marshal in his local July 4th Parade last year. And it's this closeness geographically as well as his Irish background that make me feel very close to him and his family, even if from a distance. =) I'm going to really miss seeing him perform in the show, but I have nothing but complete confidence that he will be acting and performing elsewhere soon. It's in his blood. And it is my great hope that I will once again have the privilege of seeing him perform in the meantime here on Long Island. I hope you don't mind me saying so, but many of us here are very, very proud of Trent and so happy that this local boy has done so well!

I'm sure we will see him again soon enough, and I know we'll all be there for him in everything he does. And I'll close this little essay the way I closed my note to him for one of the Forums' books. I quoted Bert at the end of Mary Poppins and reminded him: "Don't stay away too long!"

With deep gratitude to Trent Kowalik,
Sean
[angelenroute]
Moby-Dick
Tall Boy

Post by Moby-Dick »

Thanks for the marvelous and heartfelt review, Sean!
angelenroute wrote:I made sure to keep reminding myself that this was the last time I'd be able to see Trent say this line or sing and dance this number live. I had to. I had to keep reminding myself, because nothing in his performance suggested this was a night he could giggle his way through and enjoy himself--something we all would have enjoyed too, but something this amazing actor would not allow himself to do! It was amazing! His control and dedication were amazing! He was like a machine--a machine you are fascinated to watch perform something unbelievable, and a machine as trustworthy and dependable as no other!
So true! The level of professionalism Trent showed in his last show as astounding. Absolutely amazing.
angelenroute wrote:I'm sure we will see him again soon enough, and I know we'll all be there for him in everything he does. And I'll close this little essay the way I closed my note to him for one of the Forums' books. I quoted Bert at the end of Mary Poppins and reminded him: "Don't stay away too long!"
Hear hear! :mrgreen: Can't wait to see what's next in store for him!

x
M-D
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Another wonderful review, Sean.

I guess you're not getting him back on the island until summer though. Per Kate's blog he'll be finishing out the school year living with his sister in Manhattan and completing his tutoring with the other Billys and the Michaels.

Return to “Reviews Archive”