March 2010 Reviews - NYC

gpcolo
George

March 24th Liam/Trevor

Post by gpcolo »

I hope my first long review will be a payback for all of the other forum members who have painted their own visual picture for the rest of us to truly enjoy. A belated thank-you to all of those previous to me who have taken the time to share!

Background: My passion for this show began in October of 2008. I usually get to NYC on business about twice a year and extend my stay 1-2 nights so I can catch a Broadway show. It was October 8, 2008 and upon looking at the line-up, I noticed that a new musical called Billy Elliot was in previews at the Imperial. I quickly Googled it and realized it was based on the movie of the same name (which I had not seen) and the musical had won many awards in London since opening there in 2005. I decided to take a chance and purchased my ticket for seat C5. After struggling to get my 6’4” height into a row with legroom designed by someone far shorter than myself, up on the stage bounded Director Stephen Daldry. He explained this was to be a special night as it was the Broadway premier of a new Billy who had performed over in London- Trent Kowalick. I was a bit concerned at that point thinking I may have made the wrong choice for the evening what with this debut of a mere 13 year old in the lead role. Three hours later all of my concerns were laid to rest as I was blown away by the story, the choreography, and yes the performance by all of the actors especially young Trent. I was officially a B.E. addict, although on a somewhat limited scale.

Up until my visit this week I had seen the show a total of four times, each with a different Billy: 1) Trent/David 2) David/Frank 3) Tommy/Frank and 4)Kiril/Trevor. I decided with this recent trip I would stay a few extra days and do a Broadway marathon of 5 shows in four days (three B.E. along with Memphis and Addam’s Family). I know I am far behind in the number of B.E. shows by many members of this forum but I was hopeful that my 5th, 6th, and 7th viewing of the show would introduce me to another fine set of Billy’s and I got off to a great start.

March 24th Liam/Trevor (Seat N103 for my 5th B.E. show)
I was in my seat a full 15 minutes before the start time. A nice retired couple sitting next to me was bemoaning the appearance of all the “understudies” in this performance, evidenced by the many slips of paper in the Playbill. I politely intervened and explained the rotation system for the Billy’s, Michael’s, and small boys. We ended up having a great conversation about B.E. and other shows they had seen on Broadway (Jersey Boys was their all-time favorite). I wondered if a new #1 might be getting ready to take its place in their theater going experiences.

Liam has a fine singing voice and the orchestra sounded strong, crisp and clear- Much better than I remember from before but it could also have been my location in the theater. The first thing I can say about Liam is that the smile he generates throughout the show lights up the entire theater. He gave a flawless performance and with Angry Dance the audience responded with gasps of disbelief, almost stunned at what was witnessed as the intermission lights came on. The retired couple sitting next to me could only say “Wow” at the intermission. Liam’s “Electricity” in Act 2 ended with thunderous applause and he finally broke character with his trademark smile after what seemed like 30+ seconds of appreciative and thunderous clapping. No one standing at this point but I think part of it is the proper decorum and people feeling out of place to do a mid-show standing O. I may have to start my own at the next show when I am a bit closer. Liam plays a very compassionate Billy and one who goes through every emotion-from the happiness and sheer joy coming from BTB and Expressing Yourself all the way to the sadness emoted during the two Letter scenes. His acting skills are shown off too in his scenes of anger (being pulled from ballet class and getting stopped from going to the tryouts with Mrs. W). I could see the tears on his face as he headed up the aisle at the end of the show. He did have to dodge one early leaving couple from the first row on his return for the finale. The finale is much more polished than I recalled from before and Liam took every opportunity to show off all of the company’s skills. Liam in front of the Billy sign finally brought the whole crowd to their feet with a much delayed standing ovation.

This was my first time seeing Kate as Mrs. W and I was impressed. She plays the role in a way that you really believe she is a dance teacher in a small mining town- I am sure exactly what an actor is striving for- believability. She played off Liam very well (including flawless jump roping). My favorite part is her reaction just after Billy strikes the perfect dance position (“…chin”). Her body position and facial expression explain all of her feelings at this point. The audience is with her the whole way as the theater is eerily silent too for this great moment. She finally breaks the silence with a “hmmmmmmm” that was perfectly stated for the end of this scene.

Philip as Dad approaches the role with his own unique stamp, different from Greg J. but with all of the range of emotions that come with the role. His RB scene is quite a different take as he tries climbing off the stage when the male dance comes his way. No zipper fixing in the mirror but he still added a lot of humor to the situation with his gestures and facial expressions. I loved his performance.

This was my second time seeing Trevor and his voice has really deepened and matured. He sings all of his parts well though and matches almost perfect in height to Liam. His “Genie” imitation got no response at first with the young spring break audience, but once he started humming the theme song from that old comedy, the audience laughed with recognition. Trevor has gotten very comfortable with the part of Michael and I really now feel he is one with the role.

What more can one say about the performance of Carole Shelley as Grandma. She is the only one in one of the main roles that has performed in each of my five shows. Her timing is spot on and she worked well with the dancers (We’d Go Dancing) and with Liam, not only in this scene but in the earlier kitchen pasty scene and the later Postal scene. Carole looks like she is still having a ball playing the part. Carole is Grandma Elliot.

Will Chase was also excellent as Tony and brings anger and substance to a difficult part to play. He also did a great job of asking for donations to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids at the end of the show…”You can donate a dollar or a million dollars!”

Overall a fantastic show from start to finish- no flaws or stoppages just pure pleasure watching genius and giftedness unfold on the stage. I have been trying to put my finger as to why this show continues to grow on me. I have seen and enjoyed many other Broadway plays and musicals, with many of them getting repeat viewings, but none of them hold the passion I have developed for B.E. I think it may have something to do with how you feel coming out of the theater. No matter how your day may have gone or what mood you may be in at the start of the show, you will leave several hours later reinvigorated and in awe of what you just witnessed. I gladly get to experience this two more times this week. And if you were still wondering about the reaction of the retired couple sitting next to me: Jersey Boys has now slipped to #2 on their list!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: March 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for the great review, gpcolo. Keep them coming. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks everybody for the wonderful reviews.

Special thanks to gpcolo on your first review - I hope it's not the last. I liked the way you kept us all hanging on wondering what the couple next to you thought of the show :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
gpcolo
George

Post by gpcolo »

I am in row C tonight and will post my second review shortly thereafter. Thanks!
angelenroute
Billy

Re: March 24th Liam/Trevor

Post by angelenroute »

gpcolo wrote:I hope my first long review will be a payback for all of the other forum members who have painted their own visual picture for the rest of us to truly enjoy. A belated thank-you to all of those previous to me who have taken the time to share!
After reading that GREAT review, I have no doubt that forum members who have not yet joined or who have not yet written a review will look at you as one of the models for a fantastic review and pay you back with reviews of their own too! thanks for taking the time and definitely looking forward to more from you!
gpcolo wrote:And if you were still wondering about the reaction of the retired couple sitting next to me: Jersey Boys has now slipped to #2 on their list!
Brilliant ending to your piece, loved it! :D

Sean (angelenroute)

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks for taking the time to pen such a great review, gpcolo. You've been officially added to my list of great reviewers in this forum that I look forward to reading. Can't wait for your review of tonight's show.
Todd
Dad

Re: March 24th Liam/Trevor

Post by Todd »

gpcolo wrote:I have been trying to put my finger as to why this show continues to grow on me. I have seen and enjoyed many other Broadway plays and musicals, with many of them getting repeat viewings, but none of them hold the passion I have developed for B.E.
This comment really hits the nail on the head for me, and I suspect many other Forum members, too. Whenever I meet other fans of the show who have seen it a number of times, it's funny how many of them say, "I've never had this sort of reaction to any other show before, and I've certainly never seen a show as many times as I've seen this one." Looks like you might be another member of the club !
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

March 25
Billy-Michael D
Michael-Jake
SB-Luke

The Family Reunion Ends
Tonight was the last night in the America for Michael Dameski's dad. He will be going home to Oz after being here two weeks. When I got to the theater I saw Michael's dad taking a seat on far left orchestra. I had the feeling that this was going to be an emotional night. Boy was I right. I did not think Michael's Angry Dance could get any better than I had seen already in previous shows. I was dead wrong :!: . Michal turned it up yet another level tonight. Screams of anger and hurt that made me want to hurt :lol: someone for him. My god was he cursing up a blue streak. F-bombs firing away at full shout.Oh my god was he just great tonight :D. Electricity has always been an incredibly happy moment to me. This is always been the moment for the boys playing Billy to shine. They maybe get away with a smile at the audience when holding their pose at the end. Electricity always get long applause but not usually a standing ovation. Michael has been breaking the rules oh for about two weeks :D :!: . I was lucky enough to be there on the night Michael's dad first saw him on a Broadway stage. Tonight he had the audience in the palm of his hand from just before the(I'm free} till the pose. Michael started to tear up and lost it a little at the pose and actually started crying. I could see his head turned to where his dad was sitting. Michael had me and the people around me crying and cheering. It took a little while but everyone ended up on their feet giving him an ovation. In a way it left me who knew what was going on feeling a little like a voyeur peaking in a window. Ah but was it incredible seeing Michael put on the show of his young live for his dad last show in the states. The odds are not good that he will be back again before Michael's time is up :cry:. I could see Phil Whitchurch seemed to be feeling it to. Michael carried that emotion from scene to scene in the rest of the show The Letter and the final good buy to(Michael)Jake had an emotional poignancy to it . Like Michael was using it to say good buy to his dad. At the Company Finale I saw Kate Hennig kind of check Michael to see if he was OK. Once the music started Michael was back on top of his game. Vocally calling out encouragement as well as tapping to lead the way for the whole number. When the curtain came up on Michael in front of the Billy sign for this audience it brought another standing O :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

After the show I found out from Michael that he had gotten an additional :!: Two minutes of applause :!: for the second half of the show. Someone is tasked to record the actual running time of the show. Fascinating fact for the night the Ballet Girl who played Tracy Atkinson in Australia is in with her family to see Michael on B-Way
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
gpcolo
George

Post by gpcolo »

Thursday, March 25 Michael/Jake (Seat C109 for my 6th B.E. Show)
This show turned out to be my sixth straight different Billy over the past 17 months. The wait was more than worth it for the amazing show I once again witnessed led by the Oz dynamo Michael D. This would also be my first time sitting in the center front orchestra so close to the action.

Michael Damenski! What a future this kid has both in B.E. and I am sure elsewhere in future performing opportunities. There were three main aspects of his performance this night that showed off his talents. The first was Michael truly becoming Billy through his acting. I was so engrossed in watching him “act” when he didn’t have any lines as he used facial expressions throughout to react to all that was going on whether it was confusion, anger, or pure joy. You could read it perfectly each time and really felt for what Billy was going through. This is truly the mark of a master actor. The second was his singing voice- he is blessed with a nice range and can handle all of the voice parts with ease. Such a clear innocent sound coming from this “Billy” that you just want to hear more. The third of course was his dancing and his all out attack with every opportunity. He looked so angry from the top of his bedroom in “Angry Dance” that you knew there was an explosion about to erupt. And boy did it ever with shouts of rage I can still hear along with his furious dancing showing off his skills. His “Electricity” was a true classic event as he poured it all into the acrobatics and ballet. It was nothing short of perfection. I mentioned in my previous review with Liam that the audience really wanted to give a “Standing O” at the end of Electricity but held back. This time there were about 15-20 of us who stood. Michael at this point broke character and started to get emotional and appeared to be in tears. This brought the rest of the house up giving Michael thunderous applause for what seemed like several minutes. What a moment and very deserving.

This was my first time to see Jake playing the role of Michael and what a great take he does in the interpretation of this character. He has a great singing voice and brought the audience into a loud frenzy with his “Expressing Yourself.” He really poured it on with his mini-encore at the end of the number doing a kind of a modified Macarena with an ending flip back of his head. Jake brings believability to his character and I am so impressed with the energy both he and Trevor (the other Michael) give to this part. Michael is in very good hands with these two.

A couple of prop miscues didn’t cause any problems though it was amusing to watch. The first occurred as the ballet girls were dropping the 50 P into the container and the first girl missed and the coin did the drop and roll to stage right. The last ballet girl went over and picked it up and sure enough it dropped right out of her hand too. She picked it up again and this time made a quick exit with the coin in hand without giving it to Mrs. W. The second occurred when Billy threw Michael the ballet outfit. The top was rather tangled up so Jake had an amusing time trying to untangle it so he could climb into the costume. The time for the scene was extended but Jake handled it with professionalism. After several tries he was able to get it the right way and could finally begin squeezing into the ballet outfit. A third may have also occurred as I had never noticed it before: In the ballet class Mrs. W. asks Billy to reach down and pick up the biscuit while she grabs his leg to balance him. There seemed to be three pieces of biscuit on the stage as one piece broke off into two others. Michael D. hesitated momentarily before scooping up all three biscuits and popping them into his mouth. It couldn’t have been the most tasteful treat mid-show that one would hope for!

Other random observations from up close:
*I love Philip (as Dad) as he gives a sarcastic look and thumbs up in response to the voice at the Royal Ballet saying “Good luck with the strike.”
*The ballet girls are really a finely tuned unit. The “Rockettes” in NYC may be more famous but these girls match them up in their timing and perfection in every scene. They deserve all of the extra recognition I can give them.
*Luke as “Small Boy” gives out the most hilarious “Geeeezussss” during the early boxing scene.
*Kate (as Mrs. W.) changes her expression beautifully in response to Billy being a little reluctant to go to the tryouts. It goes from hard nosed teacher to compassionate mother.
*I still marvel at the genius choreography going on in “Solidarity.” The interaction of the miners, police, and ballet girls can’t be explained if you have not seen it as it must be witnessed in person. Brilliant!

I won’t repeat any of my previous accolades for the rest of the cast members but again they all gave a flawless and professional performance. It is great feeling the energy of the audience as they bound back onto the streets of New York full of happiness and awe as what was witnessed. I have one more show this week and if Alex takes the stage then it will continue my string of a different Billy for each of my seven shows so far.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Thanks for the awesome reviews Musical Fanatic and Gpcolo. Both are very well written and made me feel like I was there. It sounds like Michael had an incredible show last night.
:/

Return to “Reviews Archive”