May 2010 - Reviews - London

burtond
Michael

Re: May 2010 - Reviews UK - London

Post by burtond »

Hands up in the air time.

It seems that I was wrong to indicate the the opening of Born to Boogie was pre-recorded. This has finally been clarified by the professionals who have stated that the opening sequence is played by keyboard 2 in the pit - they also comment that it is one of the hardest bits of the show - which I can believe.
You will appreciate why a comment like this was made - the facts are:
a) it is an incredibly hard but short sequence to perform - )I concur being a pianist myself and to get the notes and rhythm 100% accurate each time is some feat of expertise) &
b) the MD does appear to press a click track button at the beginning of the piece

So in this case, I put 2 and 2 together and got 5 - apologies - gennuine error

But why all the fuss - this is supposed to be a forum where topics like this can be discussed amicably, comprehensivly and openly from an interest point of view. Sorry
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Thurs 6th May evening.

Just a quick review, I still am in awe of the members that can write such lenghty reviews.

Ollie, Connor and Fleur.

A fabulous show of course, flawless and a very appreciative audience.

Kitchen scene - awful bread throwing with most of it ending up on the floor. I have finally seen the pan catch fire - the first time in my 8 shows it actually worked.

Boxing scene - small boy may have missed his cue but he said "bye George" from the back of the stage and give him full credit he calmly walked past the trio to deliver his immortal line from the door - eventually! Was this meant to happen because the trio all watched him walk past in unison and it did look quite funny.

Curiously one of the most relevant scenes of the evening bearing in mind the election was very weak. David Nellist I felt didn't get a good audience reaction and as such stopped long before the end - just after the ham and tripe and get the car reference and thus no cue for Ollie to come through the curtains and Craig went fishing for him between the curtains (Eric Morecambe style) to bring him stage front. David Cameron had the rejected first raffle ticket.

Connor was on top form. His comedy timing is outstanding (he makes it look so effortless and natural) and he easily won over the audience who laughed out loud at everything. He just doesn't have enough scenes, you always want more Michael.

Once again I was sitting among many tourists and Billy virgins and they were all hugely appreciative at the end, a decent and well deseved standing ovation at the end.

Alex
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Tuesday 11th May 2010 – UK – London

Billy – Tom
Michael – Joe
Debbie – Francesca

Dad – Joe Caffrey; Tony – Craig Gallivan; Mrs W – Jo Riding ; Mr B – Sean Kingsley; Grandma – Ann Emery; George – David Nellist; Dead Mum – Samantha Seager; Older Billy – Sergio Guacomelli; Ballet Dancer in cream tights – James Foster; Big Davy - Phil Snowden; Musical Director –;
Billy reserve – Rhys

Extremely short review – tonight simply brilliant – Tom, Joe and Francesca at their very best with a tremendous support cast. Really, really enjoyed the show as did the fantastic audience.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

May 12, the REAL 5th birthday performance.

Just an observation - tonight, the worn out Tony Blair joke was finally laid to rest and Gordon Brown became the bad guy - fighting the illegal war, etc, etc. And for only the second time, (I think the joke first appeared last night)the first raffle ticket drawn, and then tossed out, belonged to someone - David Cameron. :lol:

And a minor mishap. Dean dropped grandma's plate as he took it to the sink, and it broke. Gee, I hope the poor kid doesn't have to pay for a replacement! :shock:
pincher
Audience Member

Post by pincher »

Top show tonight Dean was Amazing Angry dance, Electrifing Electricity dance, Dazzeling Dream ballet, fantastic Finale Standing Ovations well deserved you knocked them dead kidda.

Thanks for a wonderful evening Peter.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

pincher wrote: Amazing Angry dance, Electrifing Electricity dance, Dazzeling Dream ballet,

Thanks for a wonderful evening Peter.
Well put. Peter Darling doesn't get credit often enough for his choreography.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Totally agree.
A really wonderful show this evening. Dean gets better and better. He is much more down to earth now and a little less cocky which enables him to demonstrate his sensitive side which can be quite humbling.
Connor contines to wow the audience with his approach to Michael and his 'pavarotti' rendition during 'Express' is fantastic.
Great cast perfomrnace with all the mains in their usual roles for a change.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Wednesday 12th May 2010 – UK – London (5th Anniversary)

Billy – Dean
Michael – Connor
Debbie – Fleur

Dad – Joe Caffrey; Tony – Craig Gallivan; Mrs W – Jo Riding ; Mr B – Sean Kingsley; Grandma – Ann Emery; George – David Nellist; Dead Mum – Samantha Seager; Older Billy – Sergio Guacomelli; Ballet Dancer in cream tights – James Foster; Big Davy - Phil Snowden; Musical Director –;

Billy reserve – Ollie

This was the birthday that wasn’t show or, as some would describe it the non-birthday show but you wouldn’t have known it – what a cracking show and what a great sense of anticipation and delight from the appreciative Forum fed audience who embraced the show with their laughter, applause and excitable shouts of delight.

I’ve seen Dean perform plenty of times right from his Billy debut and have seen his development of the character Billy. More importantly, I’ve seen Dean mature (as much as a youngster can) on the stage and for the first time tonight saw a totally different side to the guy which I really enjoyed watching – less arrogant/confident, less cocky and much more sensitive , engaging with all those performing with and around him. He was absolutely delightful. He looked good, he sounded good and has really perfected the dialect, his Ballet and dance was perfection. He was Billy. Something else I noticed about Dean tonight – he’s growing!

Laugh a minute Connor – what more do you need to say. What a find by the casting crew. This guy lifts every performance he’s in. He can make an average show great, he makes a great show absolutely fantastic. Tonight by the way was the latter. This guy has got talent – I wish that I had a fraction of his confidence and ability at his young age who knows where it might have led. On that basis, who knows what the future holds for Connor – but I’ll eat my hat if he doesn’t turn out to be some sort of superstar.

Well tonight was all about the non-birthday and I would like to go on to talk about the non-Billy (OK then the Billy reserve) which tonight was Ollie Gardner. Tonight was a very special night for Ollie – it is exactly ONE YEAR to the day since the guy first performed in the role of Billy and as usual, he turns up and does his professional duty. No big deal – no expectations – no hype – no glitz and glammer – and no audience to help him celebrate. This was exactly the same on his recent birthday when he was also Billy reserve. I really admire the guy – to me he is a great role model for all future young stars – he’s as down to earth as you can be and just gets on with it. Furthermore, his year in the role has given him great experience and confidence and his Billy performances are generally electric and wonderfully absorbing. Ollie is just great – Mum and Dad – you must be very, very proud of him – I know we all are. Enjoy what ever celebration of this milestone day you can Ollie – it gave me and others around me at the end of the show great joy in wishing you the very best and a happy first anniversary as you were herded into the Billy Bus. Get home, grab that celebratory bedtime drink and get upstairs with your Billy and Michael mates for a good ol’ chin-wag.

Finally, great to meet up with some of the many Forum members that took the trouble to be here tonight. Unfortunately, time doesn’t permit you to get around everyone – so for those that I missed, apologies – will catch up again soon. Was good to meet up with one or two new Forum faces and talk shop and exchange experiences of how we deal with our love of BETM in the real world!

Well, that’s it for me for another week – As one forum member defined me, this is the ‘Mon-Wed BETM correspondent ‘signing off until next week.

David
dwallen
Small Boy

Post by dwallen »

Last night's show was just fantastic and for me was just as much the 5th Anniversary as the one in March. Previous reviews have said it all. I must just add that I was amazed by Dean who I last saw in his opening show. He was brilliant then but now he is even better. I like the smile he used to great effect at certain times particularly during Grandma's Song. He really show that Billy not only loved his Gran but also enjoyed hearing her story. Electricity was sensational - I love the ballet version although he is obviously capable of other styles of dance but ballet is what is at the heart of the story of Billy.

It was the first time I had seen Connor and wow what a little performer - great things in comedy for him in the future I feel.

Overall the cast were outstanding yet again and I think it is a pity that some mention was not made before the show of the 'actual anniversary' even if if was not made too much of.

Never mind though. Everyone in the audience was transfixed by the show and I for one was so glad to be there as well as on March 31st.

Well done everyone.
67 wonderful shows
21 marvellous Billys
Travis, Sam, Layton, Corey, Josh, Hogan, Fox, Brad, Tom, Tanner, Ollie, Dean, Rhys, Scott, Ryan, Josh Baker, Adam, Harris and Kaine, Harrison and Tade
2 First Nights - Ollie and Dean-Charles
8 Last Nights - Layton, Hogan, Brad, Fox, Tom, Ollie, Scott and Dean.
6 Anniversaries - 4th, 5th plus the second 5th Anniversary (May 12th 2010), 6th (March 2011) 7th (May 12th 2012) 8th (May 11th 2013)
1 Gala Night - May 30th 2012 - celebrating 7th Anniversary and 3,000 show.
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

My 9th show and 6th different Billy and Dean was just as brilliant as the others, yet another reason to keep coming back again and again.

My 6th show in a row with Connor Kelly - it's just as well I like him so much!! What's the odds on that. I love the way Connor keeps looking into the audience with such a sanguine casual air - such as when he does the splits - I don't think Billy gets such an opportunity to communicate with the audience in the same way, but I don't recall Connor Doyle, Jake or George quite perfecting that rapport.

I loved Dean's facial expressions and smiles. I felt he got the emphasis just right and had a great rapport with the whole cast. His dancing was superb (I am a ballet Electricity fan) and I am heartened to hear more emphasis is being placed on ballet in the future.

I do think too much time is spent on dance rehersal and not enough on placing plates in surfaces - more practice required there me thinks!!

I was also concerned that Dean almost went flying through the shield wall in Angry Dance. There was a gapping hole when the shields didn't stay attached to each other and naturally that was the place Dean decided to land his first flying kick. The officer behind the shield made a herculean effort to keep everything and everybody standing.

Lastly it was wonderful to say hello to various Forum members. I love all your anecdotes and these are one of the reasons I still love the show so much. Keep it up.

Alex
Next show May 22nd matinee seats R11 to 16.

Return to “Reviews Archive”