May 2010 - Reviews - London

johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Re: May 2010 - Reviews UK - London

Post by johnnyc »

May 13 matinee. Ollie and Connor

Another first, I think. The audience started applauding when Billy first left the stage, even before Michael called out "Dancin' boy." And when Billy kissed Michael and left the stage for the second time, the applause broke out again and continued as the curtain started to fall. Needless to say, this was a great performance from Ollie. Now, someone else can do a proper review.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

burtond wrote:Wednesday 12th May 2010 – UK – London (5th Anniversary)

Billy – Dean
Do any of the Billy historians here know if Dean performed as the small boy on the original opening night - May 12, 2005 ? If so, then I guess that makes him the first cast member to appear on stage in the first-ever official performance of BETM ! (since the small boy begins the show by climbing up on stage) And here he is still going strong on the 5th anniversary as the headliner !
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Todd wrote:
burtond wrote:Wednesday 12th May 2010 – UK – London (5th Anniversary)

Billy – Dean
Do any of the Billy historians here know if Dean performed as the small boy on the original opening night - May 12, 2005 ? If so, then I guess that makes him the first cast member to appear on stage in the first-ever official performance of BETM ! (since the small boy begins the show by climbing up on stage) And here he is still going strong on the 5th anniversary as the headliner !
Absolutely. On Dean's debut night, he was introduced as the new Billy but also the first member of the cast to officially take position on stage at the very beginning of BETM. So yes, Dean was the first smalll boy on the very first opening night.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I don't know if Dean performed on May 12th, 2005 or not. I was always under the impression that he performed at the very first preview though.

Of course I could be wrong ................. it wouldn't be the first time.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Billy Whiz wrote:I don't know if Dean performed on May 12th, 2005 or not. I was always under the impression that he performed at the very first preview though.

Of course I could be wrong ................. it wouldn't be the first time.
you know David, I could be wrong too - afterall, I wasn't there -I was just going on what Nick (the resident Director) stated in his introduction to Dean on his debut night. We both could be wrong - flippin' 'eck! now that would be catastrophic!
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I checked Wikipedia, but this is one place where the information is lacking. :(
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Thomas
Ballet Girl

Post by Thomas »

johnnyc wrote:May 13 matinee. Ollie and Connor

Another first, I think. The audience started applauding when Billy first left the stage, even before Michael called out "Dancin' boy." And when Billy kissed Michael and left the stage for the second time, the applause broke out again and continued as the curtain started to fall. Needless to say, this was a great performance from Ollie. Now, someone else can do a proper review.
I will not do a proper review, just a few remarks.

The last time I had seen the show was the 5th birthday show end of March; I had 11 shows in March. I have to say, that was really enough, if I had seen it another time, I could not have appreciated it rightly. Now six weeks later I was really keen to see Billy again and it was wonderful!

With a lot of forum members around you feel like part of a big community. The show was perfect, no technical difficulties (I had never experienced any) besides the missing lipstick (Ollie probably was not too unhappy about that). Ollie and Connor seemed to have a good time on stage together, Ollie was laughing throughout Connor's "I guess that's why they call it the nutcracker" performance. Fleur was great, too! When it came to searching a spot on the wall, she was watching Ollie so intensely, I really thought she had a crush on him. The adult cast was brilliant.

I really missed it and it is good to be back and see the show 5 times in a row :)

Cheers - Thomas

PS: David where have you been at the end? You suddenly disappeared. Of course we figured someone like you cannot disappear but you may have become invisible ;)
Leon 1, Fox 5, Ollie 8.5, Tom 3.5, Dean 11, Rhys 8, Aaron 5, Scott 5, Josh 4, Adam 4, Ryan 4
Wispa
Audience Member

Post by Wispa »

Wednesday 12th May - Dean, Connor and Fleur

Tonight was my first time seeing Dean and so I was really excited to see his interpretation of Billy, and I was not disappointed. He is really a brilliant actor and his accent seems to be spot on (not that I'm an expert on geordie accents!), I loved the way he delivered all his lines and how he reacted to his cast members around him - always acting even when the spotlight wasn't on him; for example when Joe Caffrey was singing 'Deep into the Ground', Dean was watching and listening so intently and I liked how he reacted angrily to big brother Tony nudging him during it.

I was slightly disappointed with the theatre not being at full capacity tonight (never experienced the show when its not full) but the cast still gave it their all for their unbirthday! Connor was hilarious, and he really is a born performer, so funny to watch and he always gets so many laughs - he is excellent, his singing is also very clear and his acting is brilliant and portrays the role both sensitively and comically which is great.

Anyway, back to Dean. His dancing was of course fantastic- angry dance was powerful and every tap was clear and resonated throughout the theatre. Electricity was stunning and showed off his may talents in lots of different styles of dance; however what really grabbed me during this number was the way he sang electricity- it was exactly how I imagine that song to be sung with the pauses and emphasis on different lines etc. This is really what struck me about Dean the most throughout the show - he was just so fantastic at acting and delivering his lines in the right way etc.

So, an exciting performance to go to and a shame that it was not even mentioned that it was opening night 5 years ago on that day - never mind, we all knew it was and we loved it!!!

Didn't pluck up the courage to come and meet you all this time unfortunately - maybe next time!

Wispa x

Liam x1; Tom x2; Tanner x1; Brad x1; Ollie x1; Dean C-C x1
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Thomas wrote: Cheers - Thomas

PS: David where have you been at the end? You suddenly disappeared. Of course we figured someone like you cannot disappear but you may have become invisible ;)
Thomas,

Sorry to have missed you at the end but had to rush for a blasted train from Victoria. Wasn't staying at my usuaal Hotel last night and hjad to be up very early this morning. Enjoy the rest of your week with BETM. I'm back Monday but no doubt, you will have gone by then. Hope to see you properly next time.

Love to all.

DB
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Wispa wrote:Wednesday 12th May - Dean, Connor and Fleur

Tonight was my first time seeing Dean and so I was really excited to see his interpretation of Billy, and I was not disappointed. He is really a brilliant actor and his accent seems to be spot on (not that I'm an expert on geordie accents!), I loved the way he delivered all his lines and how he reacted to his cast members around him - always acting even when the spotlight wasn't on him; for example when Joe Caffrey was singing 'Deep into the Ground', Dean was watching and listening so intently and I liked how he reacted angrily to big brother Tony nudging him during it.

Anyway, back to Dean. His dancing was of course fantastic- angry dance was powerful and every tap was clear and resonated throughout the theatre. Electricity was stunning and showed off his may talents in lots of different styles of dance; however what really grabbed me during this number was the way he sang electricity- it was exactly how I imagine that song to be sung with the pauses and emphasis on different lines etc. This is really what struck me about Dean the most throughout the show - he was just so fantastic at acting and delivering his lines in the right way etc.
I totally agree Wispa - Dean-Charles is an exceptionally good, no actually, I'd go as far as to say 'OUTSTANDING' Billy! :)

Return to “Reviews Archive”