June 2010 - Reviews - London

burtond
Michael

Re: June 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by burtond »

suesmith wrote:she wasn't there the whole show and mrs wilkinson had to direct her lines to susan parks !!
Susan Parks and others too
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
suesmith
Audience Member

Post by suesmith »

yes like on the line 'try not to kill yourself tracey atkinson' i noticed it changed to tina harmer!
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Impressive that all the Ballet Girls seem to have names and Mrs W can remember them all!
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

Saturday evening June 26th

Rhys
Joe
Fleur

This was my first opportunity to see Rhys. It has become much more difficult these days to see a new Billy. Whereas they used to start on the Monday following a Billy leaving, this is no longer the case. Nor do they play three Shows in their first week. Of course there are reasons for this but it means that fans are playing a game of chance trying to catch the new Billy.

Firstly, the production went smoothly with no stoppages for illness or injury. Everything with the Set worked and there were no major costume malfunctions. Well done to all concerned. The theatre was very nearly full and a large party of schoolkids sitting in the Stalls added to the atmosphere.

Rhys was good. He has a powerful stage presence and projected the personality of Billy Elliot superbly. The sadness of his mother's death is so sharply delineated in the letter scenes and yet the pain of this is a real challenge for young actors to project. I thought Rhys was very moving in both of these scenes. In fact, he acted really well throughout the story. There is happiness and sadness in his Billy Elliot. The scene with Debbie outside the toilet cubicle was downright funny. He was so shocked at what was on offer. ;) Perhaps the most impressive part of his performance for me though, was his dancing. I admired his poise and the graceful style of his movements. He has real potential as a dancer. The two feature numbers Angry Dance and Electricity had such passion and the audience responded accordingly. The dance classes and rehearals for this role are so demanding that it is wonderful when a talented artiste emerges at the end of it. Things have not been easy for Rhys and I am so pleased that he has become a West End star.
Joe is a genuinely convincing Michael. He, too portrays emotional feelings well. His sadness at the final curtain when he watched Billy walk away from him into the distance was moving. Fleur and the small/tall boys performed with distinction too.
Thank you to the two forum members who helped me get my ticket for the evening Show.

This is rather brief as reviews go these days but as someone once said 'brevity is the soul of wit.'
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

jacob wrote:This is rather brief as reviews go these days but as someone once said 'brevity is the soul of wit.'
A very nice, capsulized review, jacob. Though I love reading the long, detailed reviews, I also love it when reviewers are able to convey the highlights of a show in very concise, but descriptive terms -- which you have done here. In short, all reviews are very appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to write and post.
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

I would like to add to Jacobs sentiment, Rhys was on top form last night. I have finally seen him complete a whole show. I was beginning to think I was a jinx. Well done.

I warmed to Joe alot more last night. His delivery was spot on and meant he got the laughs and applause he rightly deserves and I felt rather lacked in some of his recent shows. He has an unbeatable smile and checky face that brings an extra warmth and innocence to the role.

I have finally seen David Bardsley in the role of dad. I highly regard Joe Caffrey but it was a totally different portral and I felt alot of warmth and humanity, some wonderful mannerisms, a breath of fresh air. David obviously can't cook as well as Joe though, as the miners almost ran out of breath going AWWWWW as the bread, it's an egg actually, resolutely stuck to the pan.

I felt Gen was far better too. I have been critical of her delivery but Saturday the pauses felt far more natural and thus to me so much more realistic and emotionally accurate.

Thankfully James Foster didn't corpse (laugh/smile) when someone wolf whistled him as he entered in his white tights. Well done James, I thought you'd lose it.

I brought two more Billy virgins, both fanatical theatre fans and often very critical of half decent shows. They were simply blown away. Well done to the whole cast for another fantastic performance and thus enhancing my reputation with my veteran friends.

Alex

And yes Mr Braithwaite that was me making the nutcracker face Connor taught me!!! - almost dived accidently head first into my lap
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

Gutted I couldnt get a ticket for last night - a desp to see Rhys and Joe - could have got them both last night. On a more positive note, It did force me to see another musical - jersey boys - I loved it xxx
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1
suesmith
Audience Member

Post by suesmith »

might be going to see it friday . hope the best ballet girl team is on!
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

AJ HOLDEN wrote:I have finally seen David Bardsley in the role of dad. I highly regard Joe Caffrey but it was a totally different portral and I felt alot of warmth and humanity, some wonderful mannerisms, a breath of fresh air. David obviously can't cook as well as Joe though, as the miners almost ran out of breath going AWWWWW as the bread, it's an egg actually, resolutely stuck to the pan.
That's funny, as you seem to have seen the show many more times than me (11) - I have seen David Bardsley 6 times and Joe Caffrey twice (One being 5th Anniversary) I did not see Joe Caffrey until my 8th show!

1st: Phil Whitchurch
2nd: David Bardsley
3rd: David Bardsley
4th: Phil Snowden
5th: Phil Snowden
6th David Bardsley
7th: David Bardsley
8th: Joe Caffrey
9th: David Bardsley
10th: David Bardsley
11th: Joe Caffrey

I'm glad i had the seemingly rare oppurtunity to catch Phil Snowden in the role twice, he was really fantastic :)
x
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

You are lucky, I've not seen Phil Snowden in the role as Dad!

Return to “Reviews Archive”