July 2010 - Reviews - London

dwallen
Small Boy

Re: July 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by dwallen »

Tuesday July 6th

Just a quick review before the train leaves.

Ollie was fabulous tonight and the whole company followed him. The audience were alive and laughed and clapped in places unknown to me.

This was the first time I had seen Joe as Michael and I liked him. Fleur was her usual excellent self.
Well done to everyone for making tonight so enjoyable. Oh, and I think the new B to B is growing on me although Ollie still outclasses the adults who still need more skipping practice!
Another great show and I can't wait until August 13th, my birthday when I come again.
67 wonderful shows
21 marvellous Billys
Travis, Sam, Layton, Corey, Josh, Hogan, Fox, Brad, Tom, Tanner, Ollie, Dean, Rhys, Scott, Ryan, Josh Baker, Adam, Harris and Kaine, Harrison and Tade
2 First Nights - Ollie and Dean-Charles
8 Last Nights - Layton, Hogan, Brad, Fox, Tom, Ollie, Scott and Dean.
6 Anniversaries - 4th, 5th plus the second 5th Anniversary (May 12th 2010), 6th (March 2011) 7th (May 12th 2012) 8th (May 11th 2013)
1 Gala Night - May 30th 2012 - celebrating 7th Anniversary and 3,000 show.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 8th July

Dean Charles, Connor K, Emily

Mr. B: Phil

There were several instances of daylight robbery at the VPT today. I am guilty of the first offence. I paid only a paltry 19.50 Sterling for a seat at a 1,000 carat show that sparkled from beginning to end. An absolute steal.

It’s been quite a while since Dean performed at the Thursday matinee. Leaving aside for the moment his incredible dancing and golden voice he has “stolen” the combined acting talents of Olivier and Burton(R) and blended them in with his own considerable array. The result is quite something to see. The usual hundreds of youngsters in the audience could hardly believe their eyes. Even the hardy matinee regulars were gasping for breath by the interval. After a breathtaking first half ended with an extremely angry Angry Dance a breather was a must. Anyone seated in rows A-F was in serious danger and the riot police had to receive counselling during the interval. The hut probably needed surgery, too. I’ve checked my multi-trip insurance policy and there is a specific exclusion. This policy does not cover any injury loss or damage to the Policyholder caused by or during any Angry Dance performed in any theatre worldwide. That’s daylight robbery, too.

Barely 30 minutes later was this the same Billy who performed the Dream Ballet with Barnaby with such grace, poise and grandeur? It sure was.
So many other emotions. The Letter with Samantha was overpoweringly sad as was the final goodbye to Mrs. W. The restrained anger with Dad and embarrassment at the end of Solidarity as he was ridiculed in front of so many girls and the almost unwatchable pain on his face in the angry kitchen scene as Mrs. W. argued on his behalf. Believe me this was gutwrenching stuff.

But it was the all-powerful, all-graceful Electricity that put everything back on an even keel for Billy. Dean nailed this to perfection and even permitted a gentle smile of acknowledgement to show on his face as the theatre erupted. This was the crowning moment. That was the one moment you couldn’t steal.

Connor was his usual hilarious self in both Expressing and the Winter scene. I wonder how much he’d get on eBay for those eyes? Anything less than a billion dollars would definitely be a steal.

The new B2B provides Mr. B with an opportunity to steal the scene and Phil romped away with it this afternoon. We had a real good gentleman “laugher” in the crowd today. I was already on the floor at Phil's performance but the combination of that and the “laugher” nearly had me calling for a stretcher. This was the funniest B2B I have ever seen, bar none. What a tonic. (BTW, I forgot to mention last week that Phil stood in for piano man in the RBS audition scene which was not something I had seen before).

If you thought Emily’s Debbie was feisty three months ago you should see her now. Her stomping sulking feet and angry scowl and gestures would have tested the patience of Mother Teresa herself.

The Ensemble were as sharp as nails and kept the show buzzing along at such a rate that it was all over far too soon.

This review is getting too long but there is one more steal to reveal. On the way back to Heathrow on the Tube I ran into Miss Marple and she has agreed to take on the case. The case of the missing Co-Op pasty from Billy’s bag. Small Boy is one prime suspect but my money is on Tracey Atkinson.

Thanks to everyone involved in today's show on stage and front of house, the great crowd of Forum members and regulars for all the camaraderie and the “laugher”, too. Another fabulous day to remember.

Pat
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

And another "steal" for us fellow forum members is getting to read your fantastic reviews for free, Pat! Well done as always and thanks for doing your usual great job of composing it and sharing it with all of us.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Hi
A Big THANKS from me Pat, for another great review, you don't miss a trick. I think I can speak for everyone, it's really appreciated.

Barry
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Pat,

I think that is the best and most entertaining review I have read in months. Nice one.

Makes me want to go back. I have already seen my one and only Billy of the month and feel depressed knowing I won't be back for weeks.

Keep the reviews coming

Alex.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Love your reviews, patc. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
KeefyM
Michael

Post by KeefyM »

Brilliant Review Pat and loved last week's football related review - genius. Really enjoyed reading them.

Also great and entertaining reviews, Deanfan5 and Bungie from last week, made me wish I'd went last weekend.

Great reviews for July already and some great reviews in the June thread as well, and although I'm still going to the show a few times a week
I haven't got time at the moment to write my own reviews due to work commitments so it is great to read other reviews
no matter how long or short they are.

As I always say,

keep the reviews coming folks! :D

Cheers
Keith
:D
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

Friday July 9th
Rhys
Connor
Emily

A few thoughts on last night. Firstly it was hot, in fact very hot. Although the theatre was not absolutely full it was more than three quarters full I reckon. I was amazed how the cast could find the energy to perform in the heat. After all many of the costumes are thick (miners' jackets, duffle coats, police uniforms) and I would think the cast must be very warm indeed under the stage lighting. Billy wears several layers as does Michael and of course the dresses in Express are worn on top of other clothing. Billy's performance in particular requires a lot of high energy dancing and I was impressed with the way Rhys maintained his energy level throughout the evening.
There were no problems with the production that I was aware of. Even small details like Billy's flip up of Mrs W's keys worked first time. The set behaved itself and no one got ill. Rhys seemed to enjoy himself and I believe his Mum was in the audience. I can see the influence of the Centrepointe training in his dancing. When he pirouettes, he holds his position on one point of the stage which is so difficult to do at age 12. I can add little to what has already been said about Connor. He is funny and yet a little sad. Last night at the final curtain, Connor sitting motionless on his bike was a poignant ending to the story.
As always, the audience were hugely responsive and there was a deserved standing ovation at the conclusion of the Finale.
All in all, another successful episode in the long running story of Billy Elliot the Musical. I reckon that icecream sales must have broken some sort of record too. My lasting memory of the night was of Rhys and, I think, his mum sitting in the front seat of the Billy Bus waving to us.
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Hi
Thanks for that review, Jacob, for friday nights show, much appreciated.It must have been unbearable heat for you in London yesterday, it was bad enough here in Yorkshire on the coast, its another scorcher again today.

Barry
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

One person's "unbearable heat" is another person's "warm and comfy." 8-) I would have gladly traded the cool, cloudy, windy weather with daytime temperatures in the upper 50's that I had there in London a month ago for the warmth and sunshine that's there now.

Return to “Reviews Archive”