July 2010 - Reviews - London

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: July 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by ERinVA »

That's assuming your hotel room is air conditioned. 8-)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
jogo30
Audience Member

Post by jogo30 »

In Germany it has highest temperatures up to 39 °C resp. 102 °F since a week. It's hardly bearable.
BETM-Counter: 25x London, 1x York (BYT)
Next planned visit: ???
londonDad
Audience Member

Post by londonDad »

we went to see the show on Saturday night and loved it. We have seen it before a couple of times, and have seen the comments about changes to script/cast etc etc.

we thought it was all really super: Genvieve Lemon was great as Mrs Wilkinson, different to other actresses, but I thought really believable.

The skipping (and from the previous posts about this, it wasn't clear at all that they were tap dancing when they were skipping!) in born to boogie was well done - I imagine it is very difficult to do.

Billy/Michael/Debbie were all superb, all in all, one of the best we have seen (although this only runs to a couple of times).

sorry not to write a more eloquent review, just maybe adding some lines from an audience member who has not seen as many shows as most on here, and who may be a little more representative of the 'average' audience member.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Thanks for the great review from a typical audience member londondad. Much apreciated
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for the great reviews everybody.

I can't get to the show for a while so these keep the interest going.

Keep 'em coming :D

EDIT: Just noticed I've become a Billy after my 2,500th post. Yippee !!!!!!!
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

A highly entertaining show Monday evening 12th July with Rhys, Connor and Emily in the hot seats. All three gave a fine performance and were supported by a marvellous adult cast of key characters and Ensemble.

Rhys was superb and continues to develop the character of Billy. In particular, he seems to be focussed on the dialogue at the moment and this was delivered perfectly clearly with definite emphasis on key words or phrases. Rhys provides us with a brightness which perpetually shines through Billy Elliot. His elastic facial expressions continue to marvel as he moulds a look to compliment what he is either saying or doing. He continues to develop his version of Electricity and although his existing ballet moves are (to me) faultless, we are seeing elements of acro and street introduced which I really like – Great work Rhys.

Connor was his usual animated, cheeky and hilarious self as he boldly and confidently took command of his signature scenes. This guy is so, so talented and never fails to please. Each time, he seems to perfect another little gesture or move which he introduces to ensure that his performance is never dull or predictable. He seems to have taken on board the many comments regarding his Pavarotti style signing as he slips in more and more each time he performs. In the scene with Billy alone in the Hall, just before Dream Ballet, he really plays up to the audience and deservedly receives fantastic appreciation from the audience in response. Love the way he fools around with the walk over from Billy to the portable radio – it is so deliberately ‘pixie’ like when taken alongside the ridiculous clothing he wears at that point. Well done pocket rocket.

Emily was delightful this evening and I love the way in which she is grabbing hold of this character and dealing with it. She has introduced a stomping effect exclusive to Emily which is simply great and totally appropriate for the character of Debbie. She has clearly worked on the delivery of her lines as there is considerable improvement here as her pace of delivery has slowed a bit. Each line was as clear as a bell and this ensured that the humour built into this important character was not missed. Debbie is a bit of a tease to Billy and Emily has really mastered this. Love the way in which she uses the lollipop in the second toilet scene – it is a great prop and she knows how to work it in conjunction with the use of pauses between the lines to generate effect. Super job Emily – Well done lass.

Have to again single out Phil Snowden who played Mr Braithwaite. He plays each of these comical characters for the laugh and boy does he achieve it. His dancing in B2B was as ridiculous as it was hilarious and the expressions on his face just magical.

Well done everyone. Really enjoyed the show and looking forward to the next one already.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Tuesday 13th July

Dean/Jake/Francesca

I had tickets for another top show but such is the appeal of this show, and my depression at knowing I wasn't able to attend Billy for another month meant I ditched those tickets and got lucky with the front row again. Thank god for day tickets.
Besides Paul the Octopus said the winners would be the Billy team. Boo sucks Donovan!

Ten shows since I have seen Dean. Loved the mood, the passion. Such a different Billy but that is positive in that you need different Billy's and the serious and at times surly was very watchable last night and I warmed to him more than I thought I ever would. More fool me for missing this in the past. He now commands The Letter - not in Tom's mould yet but I get those vibes that only Tom generated and I don't get from the other current Billy's. Dean managed a smile when his jeans almost ended up round his knees in the finale. Careful Dean you'll laugh next. But Dean was simply outstanding in every department last night, well done.

Needless to say the whole cast were great. Naturally excellent performances from all the kids.

Have "they" cut George's santa speech short? Two shows in a row without the politics. We get the Tony Benn bit then straight to the meat prize draw. It's bad enough changing the dances but let's keep the satire. It's great to confuse the American's. Ellen is there anyone left over there, London is absolutely stuffed full of American's at the moment?

Sorry to see no forum there last night. Probably explains the lack of posts.
Alex. (Billy no mates)
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

I was very lucky last night. By chance, my eve plans finished exceptionally early - headed to vpt - no row b seats, so I left. Got to lights, turned around, tried again, and got G34 (£37). Wasnt sure how good the view would be, but it was brill - would def get again.
So glad I was there last night. Lovely to see David and Heychieus, and of course, Spencer.
The show was fab - its always fab for me, but last night it seemed even more fab.
The audience was on fire - seemed like quite a lot of school parties. So much clapping, virtually all the way through. Only problem with this is that some of the lines couldnt be heard, but hey, this kind of atmosphere must be awesome for the cast.
Few bullet points re the show :
Ollie - just amazing last night - think the best Ive ever seen him. He seems to be getting tall, yet still has such an innocent face. His acting and dancing is simply superb. Well done Ollie
Fleur - fantastic performance Fleur - again, your acting is superb. Your delivery of the 'you look like a right dickhead to me' line is absolutely perfect. Your facial expressions crack me up too !! Especially in act 2 when Mrs W tells you to p*** off when she is talking to Jacky Elliot.
Lovely to see you briefly after xxx
Joe - first time seeing Joe,thought he was marvellous. He is so tiny compared to Ollie !!! His comic timing seemed very good, and he certainly got the audience going with his exit routine after express.
I also thought that he was exceptional in the winter scene. Seems like a cheeky lad offstage too - he was making faces at the driver of the billy bus after he told him to put his belt on !!
Part 2 to come
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

part 2 ---

Caroline D as Mrs W - really really like her portrayal of this role. Her ability to interchange from angry to soft is very believable - main example of this is in the goodbye scene wher she starts off bit angry, telling Billy to p*** off, then in such a sweet and soft voice, she tells him how he is very special. This really stood out for me last night.
Lovely to see some old ballet girls, plus ashley who is a fab tall boy. Noy sure who was small boy last night, but he seems like a really sweet but cheeky character.
B2B - Correct me if Im wrong David, but I think it went perfectly last night. No falls/misses - Really really enjoyed it, ok not as much as the old one, but still liked it.
Angry dance - boy was this a powerful number last night. Reminded me of Tom's angry dance - was jaw dropping to watch. The screaming/shouting/swearing was more powerful than ever. Hard to belive it was being acted (if that makes sense)
Dream ballet - Sergio was on last night, and again, I thought it was one of his strongest performances (havnt seen him for quite a while). Ollies ballet is so graceful and delicate to watch.

All in all it was a marvellous night - am so pleased I decided to turn back and try a second time for a ticket.
Thanks to everyone involved for an awesome show from start to finish xx
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1
KeefyM
Michael

Post by KeefyM »

Great Reviews, londonDad, Dave, Alex and Nic really enjoyed reading them.

I did wonder when Paul the Octopus was going to make it onto the forum, well done Alex, and yes George's santa speech has changed,
as every night last week it was different - a few times it was shorter(as Tuesday night), and a couple of times when he said Gordon Brown he actually interrupted himself at that point and then went straight into "are you enjoying yourself pet/face like a etc..." and then Billy came out with the bucket.
And other nights we had the usual full routine.
So do not know what is going on with the short version as there were no technical problems/stoppages last week
that would result in the usual "george/tony/billy get on with it" front of curtain routine to make up time.

Anyway, as I usually say and as Billy Whiz has said above,

keep em' coming folks!

Cheers
Keefy (live from a rather grey and overcast St Andrews)
:D

Return to “Reviews Archive”