Ben Cook

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ben Cook

Post by ERinVA »

I agree that it is time to get back to Ben now. If someone wants to start another thread to discuss the character of Michael in general, that would be fine. Maybe it should go in Billy Around the World, as it would be relevant to all productions.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

Ben Cook is a brilliant talent for the show, a real shot in the arm for BETM. I think that the best is yet to come for Ben in this production, he is a very humble, polite nice young man as well. Ben is one for sure that all fans of BETM should make sure to see soon.
tyty
Audience Member

Post by tyty »

I agree 100% that Ben should be the focus of the Ben thread and I'll not make any more non-Ben comments in this thread. It's gotten pretty off track; sorry for my role in hijacking it! But, looking on the bright side, maybe (hopefully!) the constant bumping of this thread brought some readers' attention to Ben, who tends to be overlooked.

If anyone ever needs evidence of his talent (or why he deserves more stage time...), just watch him during Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher. His ad libbing (I think? He seems to be doing something different every time) during that number is pretty great. He's also wicked funny off-stage, very clever and quick on his feet.
cincinnati wrote:I think that the best is yet to come for Ben in this production
I hope that's a prophecy!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I agree. Let's hope so! :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

The word "wasted" has been used a couple of times (innocently, don't worry, not criticizing! :) ) to describe a talent confined in a smaller role. After watching some of Michael Dameski's recent videos on YouTube, you can see how much the choreography of Billy Elliot was basically holding him back from all the moves and dance abilities he has to offer! And Ben is absolutely in this category too. I don't know whether he has the dance levels now built up through practice for the role of Billy, but I believe all of the praise heaped on him for his sometimes role as Michael. I'm sad that I haven't caught him in that role, but still hoping he gets the part permanently (well, you know, on contract).

Like Jacob Clemente, Keean Johnson and Kylend Hetherington before him, Ben is one of those uber talented people you just KNOW would do great in bigger parts in the show--and really in any show. Just the way he handles his "Please sir, may I have a word" or "Gosh" lines, you can see he's got amazing stage presence and confidence. And as Cincinnati has referenced, his time in Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher is always fun to watch if you happen to glance over. Right from the start of his time on stage in the "second half", he's smiley and looking at the audience and his cast mates with great happiness. Kylend Hetherington always did and does the same.

While I have yet to see Kylend as Billy, I did see him as Michael in Charlotte and he was fantastic!!! And of course I love Jacob as Billy and loved Keean's portrayal of Michael.

Main Message: Ben Cook is one of Broadway's greatest stars, and even if most don't know him yet, he is going to go on to kick some serious theatrical butt in the years ahead. And we are nothing short of privileged to see him perform in any capacity now! He's got that mysterious X Factor, and we will be able to say we knew him when! =)

Sean

Sean Patrick Brennan/angelenroute

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Today is Ben's one year anniversary in the show. His proud father posted this on his public Facebook page:
congratulates Ben on his one-year anniversary in Billy Elliot! He has performed in 416 consecutive shows without missing a beat — a remarkable feat for anyone, let alone a 13-year-old who also went to school full-time. We are very proud of you, son!!!

Congratulations indeed Ben! You have been a great asset to the show. :D
:/
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Congratulations, Ben!!

Quite a milestone for this talented (and often overlooked) young man.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Hi all,

I have been given permission to let you know, for those who are able, that Ben will be playing the role of Michael again at these shows:

7:30 PM this Thursday, August 18
2:00 PM this Sunday, August 21

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Break a leg tonight Ben!

http://twitpic.com/685geg
:/
mikey2573
Tall Boy

Post by mikey2573 »

I have seen Ben play Michael and he is VERY good! I was surprised when I saw him that he was just filling in and was actually supposed to be Tall Boy/Posh Boy. He really should be a permanent Michael. I wonder if he would ever play Billy? I bet he'd be terrific.

Return to “Cast - N. American/International Tour”