August 2010 - Reviews - London

jacob
Ballet Girl

Re: August 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by jacob »

The problem with the lift control system that carries Billy's bedroom is becoming serious. It is unacceptable for a twelve year old boy to be elevated to such a height above the stage with no safety harness and no protecting rails. I hope that the incident has been reported to the Health and Safety Executive as a reportable incident. Breaches of the Health and Safety Act are criminal offences and it is the Company's responsibility to ensure the safety of their employees. Bectu members might have something to say about the set as well.
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Hi Forum

I think it was quite ironic that the Forum posted messages to new Michael Reece to break a leg and then Rhys gets propelled up to the ceiling on the bed and could have broken his leg!

On holiday recently I saw some Chinese acrobats performing with Billy style wooden chairs. Among their amazing feats was to stack about 10 of them into a 20 foot tower and perform astonishing gymnastic moves from the top. I was wondering if the ensemble could practice said stack firstly in case we have another dead audience like last Saturday's which may liven up proceedings and secondly this can double as an emergency backup rescue technique to retrieve any stranded Billy's from the elevated beds.

Lastly my final rant re the dead audiences. I think the ensemble should also practice a group angry dance for the last part of the finale so that if the audience fail to give anyone a standing ovation, they can all brush down their trousers, stomp off the stage giving the audience a V sign and tell them in no uncertain terms it is time to go home. (Well if it was good enough for Brightman in Phantom)!

regards

Alex
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Wednesday 25th August 2010 – UK – London - Evening

Billy – Ollie

Michael – Reece Barrett

Debbie – Fleur

Dad – Joe Caffrey; Tony – Craig Gallivan; Mrs W – Genevieve Lemmon ; Mr B – Daniel Page; Grandma – Romy Baskerville; George – Dave Nellist; Dead Mum – Samantha Seager; Older Billy – Barnaby Meredith; Ballet Dancer in cream tights – James Foster ; Big Davy - Craig Armstrong: Musical Director .– Chris Hatt

Arrived at the VP at 5.45pm to meet up with friends to grab a quick bite before the show and as usual, the first thing we do is look at the board. Rhys, Reece and Fleur. Moments later as we stood chatting with other stalwart fans, staff changed the Billy performer from Rhys to Ollie. At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter who plays Billy because all are totally brilliant but needless to say, as big Ollie fans, we were delighted to be able to see Ollie again soon after the announcement of his departure from the show (25th September 2010). No indication as to whether or not there is a problem with Rhys and, as we were informed, just because a Billy has been substituted, doesn’t necessarily mean that there is a problem with the other Billy at all. Arriving back at the theatre an hour or so later we bumped into Ollie’s Mum and Sister Stanya who afforded us the time for a little chat. Mum said during the conversation that the decision to leave was Ollie’s. He wants to return to School to focus on his forthcoming exams and he misses all his great mates. Mum was also quick to point out that regardless of that, Ollie has had a wonderful and fabulous time in Billy which he would always remember. When asked about his future Mum said that he planned to continue his Dance and ‘The Gym’ plus continue with Junior Theatre too. We all acknowledged that at 13, he is still quite a young guy with a tremendous future ahead of him. I’m sure that whatever he does, he will be a huge success and hopefully we will see him in action again before too long.

So to another stupendous show delivered by a strong and dynamic cast. I know I have seen the show many times but I can honestly say, I’ve never seen the same show twice. Every time I go, there is something slightly different. Of Course, the permutations possible for the four Billys, four Michaels and Three Debbies are themselves considerable but add in the permutations that could be derived from substitutions to the main cast and ensemble and you would be hard pressed to find a show with precisely the same cast.

In our reviews, although we talk a lot about the Child cast, we often forget to wax lyrical about the Adult Cast. I suppose for me anyway this is because we have expectations from the adult professionals whereas we are blown away by the children’s performances at such early ages. I don’t think there are any weak links in the adult cast chain in this show – I am forever impressed by the flexibility and versatility of the ensemble and swings as they are called upon to substitute key roles or step in to minor roles often at a moments notice. There is nothing simple about this show, the big musical numbers are highly complex yet the cast step in and perform as though they had performed the part hundreds of times before. One such cast member that I would mention in this review is Neil Reynolds. Neil usually acts as chairman of the audition panel but this week, with Romy playing Grandma and a few gaps elsewhere, the usual panel of four is three. Neil still acts as chairman but also takes on the additional mini role of ‘pencil man’. I saw him first do this 30 second role on Monday and it was a scream. In those 30 seconds he got a very clear message across to the audience that his character was a ‘theatrical luvvie’, a bit of a prima donna and an’artiste!’ His bodily movements from the chair to Billy and back were so precise and appropriate you got the message straightaway from the way in which he used his head to the walk over to the way in which he crossed his legs as he sat down. I suppose the show is made up of lots of little cameo roles like this and each one is is thoughtfully delivered with style and perfection. Well done cast.

To Ollie and Reece then. This was Reece’s second performance (debut on Monday) and yet again he was a very confident and impressive Michael with a deep, deep clear voice, perfect delivery of the North East dialect and a very macho portrayal of our sexually confused friend. Ollie and Reece as a duo worked very well together- one fantastic little moment from Michael was in the Panto Scene when Michael and Billy are alone on the stage. Michael asks Billy to show his some Ballet, and what looked like an out of the blue bit of improvisation, Reece grabbed hold of Ollie’s denim jacket and pulled him to his feet to grab his full attention. Ollie seemed well and truly startled and for a moment and seemed unsure as whether to remain standing or sit back down. I’m looking forward to seeing a few more of these Reece embellishments – they really do keep people on their toes. Reece is currently quite a small guy and when stood by the side of Ollie, it makes Ollie look like a giant. There are many inches difference in height and it was interesting at the ‘kiss’ to notice that Ollie had to turn his head towards to audience whilst Reece was on the very tips of his toes reaching up to Ollie’s cheek for this to work. I had the opportunity to speak with Reece’s Dad before the show and he was telling me that Reece had no ‘Tap’ ability prior to Billy that he and had to pick this up quickly as well as learning the part in double quick time – I think he said a matter of weeks rather than months/years. Very impressive Reece and such a confident and experienced performance mate – well done.

I can’t recall any Ollie moments in the show last night that were anything other than perfection. Although I did notice that the w**king gesture has gone in B2B which in my view is a blessing because it always seemed out of place almost as much as the skipping. Having said that, I have really warmed to this change and it is helped by the skill of the three characters, Billy, Mrs W and Mr B. And, for the first time this week, Billy managed the Piano jump at the end of the number. I suppose we shouldn’t expect any less from our Senior Billy!

If Mary Whitehouse had still been alive she would have had a fit at Ollie’s Angry dance – it’s probably a good thing that the YTS audio team were on the sound desk last night as many of his abundant expletives went unamplified and wouldn’t be heard by the majority of the audience –however, we hear everything on the front row and man, he was angry. Together with the aggressive tap, dramatic twist and turns and his ability to fling himself across the stage, it made for a very powerful and intense end to the first Act – well done Ollie.

Ollie’s dream Ballet with Barnaby is just charming and in complete contrast to everything else. This is like an out of body experience for Billy and Ollie plays this with charm and simplicity. I’m not suggesting for a moment that the choreography is simple but I am saying that Ollie is so ‘in-tune’ with this dance and is so comfortable with it that it is almost therapeutic to watch – pure relaxation and enjoyment. Conversely, with electricity, there are moments of anger coming through particular as he prepares to dance in the second verse of the song. Ollie’s street version of Electricity is exhilarating and edge of the seat stuff. It is filled to the brim with action and movement including beautiful ballet moves, gripping acro, awesome street and the wonderful wall-flip at the end which will disappear from the show for a short time come the 28th September. He rightly received a standing ovation for this last night together with rapturous applause and shouts of ‘Bravo’ from the German gentleman sat adjacent to me.

Great Finale and a well deserved standing ovation afforded both to Ollie and the whole cast. Another wonderful, colourful, inspirational and highly entertaining show – well done to everyone.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
KeefyM
Michael

Post by KeefyM »

What a rubbish review Dave!. ;)

Only joking, great review as usual Mate!.

As for that German gentleman sitting next to you, I can't think who you are talking about!!!
(Especially since he "abandoned" certain people at the Interval).

Anyway,

Keep the reviews coming folks!. :D

Cheers
Keith
:D
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

It is amazing how you both find so much to say about Ollie shows. Must have photgraphic memories better than this occasional reviewer :D ! I think the September 25th show review will bound to be published as a book. :lol:
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

So how tall is Ollie these days? (Compared to like Fox, for example, when he finished)
x
athadj
Miner

Post by athadj »

Deanfan5 wrote: I think the September 25th show review will bound to be published as a book. :lol:
Haha so right Deanfan5...Either that or we will need to start a new thread just for that one show :lol: :lol:
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

chocchipcookie26 wrote:So how tall is Ollie these days? (Compared to like Fox, for example, when he finished)
x
i would say he is about the same size as Fox when Fox left - but Ollie isn't leaving as a result of him growing tall!
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

No, course not! Fox wasn't too tall for the part when he left, still looked pretty small to me!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thursday, August 26th, 2010 - matinee

Billy - Ollie
Michael - Joe
Debbie - Fleur

Grandma - Romy, Mr B - Daniel Page.

This is just a few observations before Keefy posts his dissertation :D ;) . I sat in J12 and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was nice to see the show from a different perspective rather than from “B” row.

Ollie is really at the top of his game and will be sadly missed when he leaves next month. He is obviously a sensible lad as well and realises the importance of his education. I cannot fault his performance as everything - singing, dancing and acting - are all out of the very top drawer. I will say that Angry Dance (wow was that angry) was terrific and I didn’t realise you could say the “F” word so many times in a few minutes. Electricity was also great. His dancing and acro are terrific all finished off with the wall flip. Well done.

Joe is quite a bit smaller than Ollie and I think it adds poignancy when he has to stand on his tip-toes to give him the kiss on the cheek. I like some of Joe’s little individual touches and because he is so much smaller than the Billys I hope that we have him for quite a while.

Fleur is terrific. She may be only a small package but boy what a loud voice she has. My ear drums nearly burst when she does the final “MAM” in the scene between Mrs W and Jackie. I also love the way that she does the toilet scene even though, sadly, it has been shortened somewhat.

It was so nice to see Daniel Page back in the cast. I know it’s only a little thing but it was great to see him come to the front of the stage in The Stars Look Down and zip his jacket up. It was like old times. He is a great Mr B and a walking advert to prove that dancers don’t have to weigh about 9st wet through.

I have never seen Small Boy Charlie Salsen before but he was terrific. Little actions going on in the background all the time. I noticed in the scene when Big Davy asks Billy if he has got in yet and then hits him about the head. Small Boy threw his arms up in shock at this. I’ve never seen that done before. I like it that they are allowed to do things a little differently. Also nice to see Ashley Cousins as Tall Boy as I have not seen him perform for a while.

One thing I did notice was that the gents’ ensemble seemed a bit thin on the ground. There were 2 ladies in the police uniforms and in the finale it looked as if there were are least 2 gents short. Of course it was only us “nutters” that would be aware of this.

I think the cast must feed off the audience as it was a wonderful show helped by a wonderful audience. They laughed, clapped and cheered throughout the whole show culminating in terrific performances from the whole cast.

Last but not least - The Ballet Girls. Fantastic as usual. Anybody seeing the show for the first time would think they are a bunch of duffers - but we know better. They are just fantastic actors, every one of them. They never, ever, slip out of character and are the unsung heroes of the show. Thankfully they get the opportunity in the finale to show the audience that they really can dance. Well done girls.

Thursday, August 26th, 2010 - evening

Billy - Rhys
Michael - Jake
Debbie - Francesca

Rhys is a really nice Billy. Soft round the edges but a hard interior which he shows in Angry Dance. When he first came on the stage I thought that he had grown but when he came out to get into the Billy Bus he still looks like he always has. The stage has a way of making people look taller.

Rhys has some nice touches. I like the way that he pauses when he says to grandma “Mam left them” …….. “for me”. It just has that little more impact with the pause. He is a great actor and his accent is spot on. His singing and dancing are also top notch. I hope that we have Rhys for a long time to come.

I was so glad to see Jake before his final show this coming Saturday. Like Ollie he is leaving at the top of his game. His timing when he dons the tutu is terrific. He never hurries and the audience were in stitches. When he proceeded to adjust his red shorts and declare that the red may not go with his tutu I thought the lady next to me was in need of oxygen. It reminded me of the days of Shaun Malone when he used to wear underpants with big red kisses on them instead of shorts. The audience used to howl at those as well. The way he builds up to the nutcracker line and the final delivery of it are priceless. He uses his glasses as a wonderful prop. I also like it when he gets up and walks as if he is still in agony. Well done Jake. Saturday night is going to be a sad affair - but make sure you have FUN!!!!!

I love Francesca as Debbie. The delivery of her lines are first rate even though Debbie’s lines have now been cut a little in the toilet scene. I said in a previous review that I love the way she pops the “P” at the end of Wayne Sleep and now I find myself waiting for it. Great stuff Francesca.

Small Boy Paddy was his usual "subdued" self :D :D :D He is a riot and his air guitar in MCMT is terrific.

Again the ballet girls were terrific but I noticed that they ended up one short. It meant that Craig had no ballet girls to hold during part of Solidarity. I found out later one of them was feeling unwell. I hope she is now back to full fitness.

The rest of the show was pretty much as the matinee including another fantastic audience.

Thanks to Daniel Page, Deborah Bundy and Barnaby (where were you pinknick? :D ) for spending time with Patc and myself at the stage door afterwards. When we said to Daniel it was nice to see him back he actually commented on the zipping up of his jacket in The Stars Look Down :D They are all such nice people and always willing to spend a few minutes chatting even though after two shows they must be exhausted.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews Archive”