Matilda the Musical (Stratford/West End)

Chat about other shows here
Born to Boogie
Tall Boy

Re: Matilda the Musical (Stratford/West End)

Post by Born to Boogie »

Don't forget to listen to @TimMinchin, composer of @MatildaMusical, on Desert Island Discs this morning at 11.15am on @bbcradio4 in the UK.

http://t.co/y9GS8doy
jon01
Miner

Post by jon01 »

New West End Miss Trunchbull and Mrs Wormwood announced:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/16 ... he-Musical

Jon
jon01
Miner

Post by jon01 »

New cast details:

http://www.whatsonstage.com/news/theatr ... tilda.html

The new Miss Trunchbull, David Leonard, has still not started due to leg injuries, but should be on soon!

*Update: David Leonard started performing on August 21st 2012*

I saw him at the end of his first week, overall he is not as good as Bertie, but he is still quite funny. His is very panto!

Jon
Elin
Small Boy

Post by Elin »

Wonderful video of Hayley Canham performing Quiet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3TRIVWqWzo
deebeeeff
Ballet Girl

Post by deebeeeff »

Well, someone asked me to write my impressions of Matilda. I don't have a lot to say, except that it is a magnificent production, and you can see Peter Darling's stamp all over the choreography.
The acting, singing and dancing, especially among the kds, was spot on!
To be frank, it made BETM look stale by comparison. None of the BETM's I havevseen this week looked as sharp as Matilda. Yeah, I suspect from the perspective of a first time audience member, BETM looks pretty good.
Any, Matilda is a great show. BTW, the theatre is very nice and even Stalls H24 was a great view. Nice seats, too.
The Mini-Billython - Sacramento, Apr 11 - 13, 2013
"The Impossible" Hollywood Premier - Hollywood, Dec 10, 2012
Uncle Dave's 60th Birthday London Adventure - London, Oct 3 - 11, 2012
The Last Pirouette - NYC, Jan 5 - 9, 2012
Uncle Dave's Stealth Vacation - NYC, Oct 17 - 24, 2011
Uncle Dave's Liberation Celebration - New York City, Apr 11 - 18, 2011
Uncle Dave's Third Annual Birthday Billython - NYC, Oct 5 - 11, 2010
Fans in Denial - The REAL 5th Anniversary Show - London, May 6 - 14, 2010
Uncle Dave's Second Annual Birthday Billython - NYC, Oct 3 - 8, 2009
Uncle Dave's Memorial Weekend Big Apple Adventure & Billython - NYC, May 20 - 25, 2009
Uncle Dave's Birthday Billython - London, Oct 7 - 11, 2008
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I loved Matilda when I saw it. Glad you liked it too!

As for it making BETM look "stale," well, it's a very different show, so it may be a bit like comparing apples and oranges. But also, once you have seen BETM as many times as lots of us have, I think that affects the perception of the show because something that has been seen mega-multiple times obviously isn't going to seem as fresh as something you've never seen before. As you say, from the perspective of a first-time audience member, BETM no doubt looks pretty darned good, and in fact it is pretty darned good, even if it isn't as "fresh" as it used to be for some of us any more.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

To be frank, it made BETM look stale by comparison. None of the BETM's I have seen this week looked as sharp as Matilda
We are all entitled to our opinions, of course, but I couldn't allow this comment to pass unchallenged. I have enjoyed seeing Matilda a few times since it started in Stratford and there is no doubt it is a brilliantly conceived show with outstanding performances from the cast young and old. However, whilst it is great light entertainment it doesn't have the intensity and raw emotional power of BETM. Its music and dance is of a high standard but nothing as memorable as BETM. There is nothing that comes even close to Solidarity, Angry Dance, Dream Ballet or Electricity just to name four. There are some boring passages. BETM has none. The last time I saw Matilda was in January this year and after that I was Matilda'd-out.
I cannot understand the comment that BETM is not sharp. No matter how many times I have seen it for me it is sharp as nails and even more so since the cast/scene changes last year. I can guarantee that if you were to do a "Matilda-thon" instead of a "Billy-thon" you would be on the Tube back down to Victoria Street with all possible speed :D.

Pat
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I used the phrase "apples and oranges" about comparing "Matilda" with "Billy." Perhaps a better comparison would be between "Matilda" and "Oliver!" , or "Matilda" and "Annie."

I wonder if there really is anyone who does "Matilda-thons." It would be interesting to know. 8-)
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
PartiallyGeorge
Ballet Girl

Post by PartiallyGeorge »

ERinVA wrote:I used the phrase "apples and oranges" about comparing "Matilda" with "Billy." Perhaps a better comparison would be between "Matilda" and "Oliver!" , or "Matilda" and "Annie."

I wonder if there really is anyone who does "Matilda-thons." It would be interesting to know. 8-)
It ain't easy to do 'Matilda-thons', since they don't do such a thing as day seats (they do, but only for under-25s, ruling out any chance for me to participate - I am far far beyond 25, alas.)
So, I've only watched Matilda three times so far. After my second viewing I honestly thought I would be addicted to Matilda as I'm addicted to BE, however, my third viewing somehow cured me from it - maybe because the Matilda I watched this time wasn't exactly my favourite... I'll give it a go again in a month or so, and we'll see.
P.S. It's FAR FAR better than Oliver! though, it's still full of kind of transgressive energy, which Oliver! never had, even with R Atkinson as Fagin. Of course, this is just my very humble opinion.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Welcome to posting on the forum, PartiallyGeorge.
Ellen

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”