October 2010 Reviews - NYC

Billy Fanatic
Small Boy

Review of October 21, 2010, Act 1

Post by Billy Fanatic »

Dear Fellow Forum Members,

As promised, this review is of my first ever seeing of Billy Elliot the Musical; due to length it is of necessity in two parts, Act 1 tonight, Act 2 tomorrow. My reviews of the other performances I saw during my inaugural Broadway Billython October 20-25, 2010 will follow throughout this week. My apologies in advance for the length of this initial review, both parts; my subsequent ones for the other performances will be shorter as there's no need to repeat many of the observations I make in this initial review.

Please understand that what follows are solely my personal opinions, observations, interpretations and reactions based on my experiences and perceptions during the show. For the most part, but not always, they represent my spontaneous thoughts at the time I was viewing the particular scene or bit I'm commenting on.

Thursday Evening, October 21, 2010 (my first ever performance of BETM)
Imperial Theatre, NYC, Orchestra left, row N, seat 3
Jacob as Billy; Neil as Michael; Seth as Small Boy
Ben as Tall Boy/Posh Boy; Georgi as Debbie

Act 1

The house lights dim, Small Boy climbs up onto the stage and my first ever time of seeing Billy Elliot the Musical begins. Immediately, I hear comments from nearby audience members of "there he is" and "he's smaller than I thought." It's obvious to me that they're thinking that this little boy making his way onto the stage is tonight's Billy, not realizing that he is actually Seth playing the role of Small Boy. The introductory "history lesson" video plays (at least I think it's a video and not a film), "The Stars Look Down" begins, and we're off to an evening of magical entertainment as only Broadway can do it.

The segment during this number where only Billy and Small Boy are on stage, with Billy singing solo, gives us our first hint that even at his young age Jacob is indeed a talent worthy of the Broadway stage. The audience, including yours truly, is finding Small Boy's attempts at mimicking Billy's dance moves to be cute and adorable. Perhaps a subtle suggestion foreshadowing that the town of Easington might have another fledging dancer who will eventually follow in Billy's footsteps. (And as an interesting side note, as those who read Kate's blogs may know, in real life Small Boy Alex Dreier is now taking ballet lessons.)

Soon we're at the scene where Billy and Michael discuss why the miners are on strike and Billy says the f-word for the first time this evening. The audience response is interesting to me; some clearly shocked that the script calls for such a young boy to use such language; some letting out a nervous giggle or two; some lightly laughing. Personally, I'm not shocked for several reasons. I was already aware that some of the young characters used foul language. I also knew from personal experience that boys in the 11 to 14 years old age range tend to use such language when only around themselves (the movie "Stand by Me" depicts that brilliantly) and in informal situations when with adults they trust implicitly not to get them into trouble. To me, that's exactly how a boy of Billy's age and background would talk with his best friend with no adults around. I feel that his use of that word at that point in the performance is important in that it communicates that the production intends to present a realistic portrayal of Billy's community and the people around him, in all its grittiness and down to earthiness. (My personal opinion is that it was a major mistake to remove the foul language from the tour versions; language that the miners and townspeople, including children Billy's age, most certainly would use.)

The boxing hall scene leading into "Shine" provides priceless and very memorable moments of comic relief. First, Michael, Tall Boy, and Small Boy come in from their run to join Billy who's just getting his gloves on. Then after a bit of interaction between George and Billy, all four boys are on the floor doing pushups when the audience is startled by a very childish voice loudly proclaiming (no doubt aided by amplification) "Jesus" which after a brief pause is followed by another "Jesus" and then again after another pause a third one. Audience attention is naturally drawn to the source of these proclamations, Small Boy doing exaggerated pushups. The entire bit has the amused audience in stitches. The verbal exchanges and physical gestures during the farcical reluctant sparing match between Billy and Michael repeatedly provides moments of merriment and laughter. Small Boy's unexpected parting shot to George of "Fat B-----D", this night delivered with perfect timing and clarity by Seth, again brings down the house, the audience roaring with laughter. (I'm surmising that the preciousness of the moment overrides any residual shock and surprise at kids in the show cursing.) It is during this Boxing Hall scene that we get (or at least I did) the first indications that the wonderful Ben Cook's portrayal of Tall Boy/Posh Boy will be special and greater than the sum of its parts.

During "Shine" we get our introduction to Emily Skinner's perfectly rendered Mrs. Wilkinson and her ballet girls. The girls are spot on; my only regret is that Tessa Netting is still out with her back injury. (Incidentally, Tessa's real family and my sister live in the same area of Pennsylvania, the Pottstown region.) At his point, Thommie Retter's Mr. Braithwaite is still an enigma, a piano player who has yet to speak a line. But as the audience will discover, his own moment to shine will come shortly. Debbie's comment as to how Billy looked dancing (I won't directly quote here, I've already given too many spoilers) elicits much laughter.

My take on Emily's portrayal of Mrs. W, not only during "Shine" but throughout the show, is that she very much captured the essence of the character. A woman who as a result of a hard life projects a tough as nails outer shell to keep locked inside whatever maternal instinct, affection, caring and emotion she has left. A woman who desperately yearns for some purpose and meaning in her life; a yearning she can finally begin to satisfy by training Billy. Training that in turn kindles an ambition in her to accomplish something meaningful and important; an ambition that manifests itself in her efforts to get Billy into the Royal Ballet School.

Greg Jbara's portrayal of Dad is a masterpiece and the epitome of a gruff rough and tumble working class blue collar father who underneath the tough exterior does care deeply for his sons. A father who after much soul searching and reflection ultimately is willing to accept his boys for who they are, not what he wants them to become. A father who through his long journey of acceptance becomes determined to do whatever it takes to help Billy achieve his dreams and be his true self. A father who, even though it makes him uncomfortable, eventually offers his unconditional support of Billy in his efforts to be the best ballet dancer he can be. I can't imagine anyone doing this role any better than Greg does; throughout this performance and the subsequent ones I saw it was crystal clear to me why Greg's contract is constantly extended and the Company is willing to make whatever time off concessions necessary to keep him.

By far, my favorite adult character is Carole Shelley's Grandma. Her "We'd Go Dancing" is superb, and in my opinion, up there with the all time classic comic bits of the Broadway stage. Throughout the show, not only with Jacob tonight, but with the other Billys during the week, her relationship, interaction, caring, and affection for Billy (and the boy playing him) was wonderful, touching, and obviously genuine. (And during the "Company Celebration" finale when that performance's Billy leads Carole onto the stage, it's very clear the boys likewise affectionately care for her.)

"Solidarity" is a powerful number; after the show is over, it's hard to get the "solidarity forever" refrain out of your head; at least for me it is. This number is simply a fantastic piece of theatrical staging interspersing between scenes of the striking miners clashing with the police and Mrs. Wilkinson's dance classes where Billy learns to pirouette. The entire number is sprinkled with comic numbers; I, as did many in the audience, found Billy's and the ballet girls' 'discussion with the police and the officers' reply profoundly funny just at a moment some light comic relief was needed. Most importantly, by the end of the number, we realize that yes indeed Jacob can dance, and dance well even though up on stage Debbie and the other ballet girls don't yet quite realize Billy is very talented. (Of course, at this point, we've only seen a fraction of Jacob's true prowess and talent as a dancer, but that's coming, and soon.)

"Expressing Yourself" is a huge hit with the audience, generating much laughter and very long applause. To me, start to finish, not only was it downright fun but very much matched my own beliefs that above all it's important to be yourself and true to the real you. Neil is absolutely hilarious as Michael, vamping and hamming it up to the extreme. During the bit when he responds to Billy's saying "Michael" with "that's me" Neil isn't satisfied with a simple "that's me." He literally sings his reply with a loud cheerful lilting "Thhattt's meeeee." At the end, his milking the audience for ongoing applause is wildly exuberantly exaggerated, to good effect. In short, Neil absolutely excelled in this number, as did Jacob.

"Dear Billy" was to me by far one of the the most touching and tender moment of the evening, with an almost overwhelming emotional punch. Jacob's rendering of Billy's love for his dead mother to me came across as very real and heartfelt. As played by Laura Marie Duncan, Mum's love for Billy was equally evident. I'm certain that there were some tears shed in the audience; it wouldn't surprise if up on stage Jacob also leaked a few tears. All in all, a very powerful piece of theatre beautifully and perfectly acted (and sung) by both Jacob and Laura.

"Born to Boogie" was, simply put, pure joy beginning to end. Thommie was downright hilarious, an absolute delight to behold. As with her entire performance, Emily shined from the beginning to the end of the number. Jacob again astounded everyone with his abundant talent, which at this point was no longer a secret to anyone in the audience. If at show's beginning they didn't know that this young boy was a hugely talented dancing, singing and acting triple threat, by the end of Boogie they sure did. While not spectacular, Jacob's jump roping was nevertheless functional and without mishap. With the exception of competitive jumpers, most American boys simply don't jump rope well. Thommie's tap dancing had the audience enthralled and enthusiastically applauding, that man is definitely one of the great kings of tap. Jacob, especially, and Emily were also impressive in their tapping. It's astounding to me that they were able to hold their own in the face of such a formable force as Thommie tapping his heart and soul out; I attribute their ability to do so to their own immense talent.

Jacob's emotionally charged "Angry Dance" left the entire audience, including me, awed and stunned. The applause as he walked off the stage was long, loud and well deserved; if the curtain hadn't come down for intermission, he likely would had received a standing ovation. And, that last statement says all that needs to be said about Jacob's handling of "Angry Dance."

Intermission, end of Act 1; Act 2 to follow tomorrow.
Billy Fanatic
"Normal not to be normal"

BROADWAY - 19:
Billy: Alex K. x3, Giuseppe x1, Jacob x2, Joseph x5, Julian x2, Myles x1, Peter x4, Tade x1
Michael: Cameron x7, Jack x5, Jake S. x2, Neil x5
Debbie: Georgi x5, Lilla x14
Small Boy: Alex D. x10, Seth x3, Zachary x6
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Ben x12, Giuseppe x1, Joseph x2, Julian x2, Myles x1, Tade x1

TOUR - 3
RICHMOND, VA:

Billy: Ben x1, Drew x1, Noah x1
Michael: Jake K. x1, Sam x2
Debbie: Samantha x3
Small Boy: Cal x3
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Jake K. x2, Sam x1
gpcolo
George

Re: Review of October 21, 2010, Act 1

Post by gpcolo »

Very enjoyable read B.F. Your portrayal of every scene brought memories of my first time seeing the performance. Thank you so much for your efforts at putting your thoughts down and describing each scene clearly. I can't wait for part 2.
Billy Fanatic wrote:My personal opinion is that it was a major mistake to remove the foul language from the tour versions; language that the miners and townspeople, including children Billy's age, most certainly would use.
I believe the producers are trying to fill seats and having parents bring their 8-10 year old to see the show may be more important to them than keeping the scenes authentic. Very much in agreement with you as to the conversations that go on between young people-certainly different than when talking to the adults in their lives.
Billy Fanatic
Small Boy

Re: October 2010 Reviews - New York

Post by Billy Fanatic »

All,

For those wondering where October 21, 2010 Act 2 review is, it will be posted tomorrow (Wednesday) evening. It is about half written; unfortunately (or not, depending how you look upon it) I suspect it'll be about as long as the Act 1 review.

Thank you; patience is a virture, good things come to those who wait, and all that jazz.

Billy Fanatic
Billy Fanatic
"Normal not to be normal"

BROADWAY - 19:
Billy: Alex K. x3, Giuseppe x1, Jacob x2, Joseph x5, Julian x2, Myles x1, Peter x4, Tade x1
Michael: Cameron x7, Jack x5, Jake S. x2, Neil x5
Debbie: Georgi x5, Lilla x14
Small Boy: Alex D. x10, Seth x3, Zachary x6
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Ben x12, Giuseppe x1, Joseph x2, Julian x2, Myles x1, Tade x1

TOUR - 3
RICHMOND, VA:

Billy: Ben x1, Drew x1, Noah x1
Michael: Jake K. x1, Sam x2
Debbie: Samantha x3
Small Boy: Cal x3
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Jake K. x2, Sam x1
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Billy Fanatic wrote:All,

For those wondering where October 21, 2010 Act 2 review is, it will be posted tomorrow (Wednesday) evening. It is about half written; unfortunately (or not, depending how you look upon it) I suspect it'll be about as long as the Act 1 review.

Thank you; patience is a virture, good things come to those who wait, and all that jazz.

Billy Fanatic
Thank you for taking so much time to write! I have 2 more reviews to write if I ever do but have gotten so little response here and none from the other Forum that I felt too deflated to write more. I guess it's just a slow period right now for participation. Sad but is what it is. But again, thank you and looking forward to the rest!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

angelenroute wrote:
Billy Fanatic wrote:All,

Billy Fanatic
Thank you for taking so much time to write! I have 2 more reviews to write if I ever do but have gotten so little response here and none from the other Forum that I felt too deflated to write more. I guess it's just a slow period right now for participation. Sad but is what it is. But again, thank you and looking forward to the rest!

Sean
Sorry Sean for the lack of applause for all who write the reviews, It has been a long few months away from B-way for me including the passing of my dad a couple of weeks ago. What an awesome first review Billy Fanatic, Write them as long as you want.

Sam
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

Truly the fans out there and family of performers look forward to any review. It has been slow lately so any review is greatly appreciated.
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

angelenroute wrote:Thank you for taking so much time to write! I have 2 more reviews to write if I ever do but have gotten so little response here and none from the other Forum that I felt too deflated to write more. Sean
I can understand how you feel Sean as I have felt the same after hardly any response to my photo countdowns - but it isn't going to stop me. I must say though that I would hate it if you didn't do the other reviews as I'm sure lots of people do enjoy them but have just never thought to say so. I for one enjoy them tremendously :D :D :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Billy Whiz wrote:I can understand how you feel Sean as I have felt the same after hardly any response to my photo countdowns - but it isn't going to stop me. I must say though that I would hate it if you didn't do the other reviews as I'm sure lots of people do enjoy them but have just never thought to say so. I for one enjoy them tremendously :D :D :D
Thanks Billy Whiz, much appreciated and I know we all love your countdowns and SHOULD comment more! I hope that we can all make a collective attempt in 2011 to communicate with each other more in postings and not just Facebook and chat, especially since many Billy fans we don't know well only read the Forum and not our many on-the-side reviews and comments. And for any silent lurkers out there, we'd love more feedback from you, even if just a quick reply of a smile!

Will try to go back to my reviews this weekend/next week. And I'm still hoping to be able to see the Broadway show at least once more this year.

Warmest wishes to all posters and readers out there! =)
Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Sean,

I, too, would miss your reviews but am probably as guilty as anyone for not always indicating how much I enjoy all the reviews on the Forum. It's like comments on blog articles, lots more people enjoy things than take the time to acknowledge that enjoyment in writing. Please continue your great work.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Sean, we love your reviews. Don't think for a minute that they aren't appreciated. Of course they are!

I myself am guilty of not commenting about enjoyable reviews as often as I should, but I am thanking you now for past AND future ones. Okay? I really enjoy reading them. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”