BILLYFAN
Debbie

Re: December 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by BILLYFAN »

SAT 4.12.10 MAT
BILLY=SCOTT
MICHAEL=JOE
DEBBIE= EMILY SMITH

Another very good show,the MD was not quite ready when the small boy (I don't know his name,but he's the one who wears glasses) and he had to wait a few moments by the md
The new cast members seem to settle in well
In the kitchen scene, the egg is getting very small, but still plenty of salt, one of the change's is Big Davy stuffing all of the sandwich into his mouth before leaving the stage, plenty of gasps from the audience!
In the boxing scene I don't know if it is a change or if it's the way that George puts it over, but the 2nd time that Michael tries to leave, he trips up at the back of the stage and George drags him back by his leg
Romy played Grandma very well, some small changes to the dance reuteen
In Expressing yourself sitting in seat B15 I saw that the picture was already printed as it came out of the camera, this was not always so, mostly new dresses and the dancing dresses were new but took up too much of the stage, the old way was better, there was also a pair of dancing trousers!
In born to boogie Mr Braithwaite got a lot of applause when he did the splits, the angry dance was good, although I,ve seen better
Electricity, Scott was fabulous,when he finished the applause went on and on and Scott tried to keep a straight face but several times broke out with a big grin on his face
A very good show indeed
One of the lines I would like to see brought back was in the boxing scene when Billy used to say "I get beaten up every day at school,I don't see why I should be beaten up on a Saturday", I think that line was very apt;boys like Billy and Michael are prone to be bullied at school, it's a shame they took it out earlier on this year.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks jacob and BILLYFAN for the reviews.

George dragged Michael across the stage in the boxing scene when I was there last Monday so I assume it is a change.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

Billy Whiz wrote: George dragged Michael across the stage in the boxing scene when I was there last Monday so I assume it is a change.
I saw this on the 2nd National Tour version - another import from the US I guess... And for that matter, so is big Davey stuffing the whole sandwich in his mouth -This bit has been in all US productions, beginning with NYC.

And thank you all for the reviews of the original production!!!

maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
athadj
Miner

Post by athadj »

Monday Dec 6th Scott - Connor - Emily S.
Oh what a show last night's was. Probably one of the best I have ever seen.
First of all, sitting at B15 (my first time there) just before the show started I kept looking back at the aisle to see smal boy. My first thoughts was that he looked a bit tall but then again I have not seen all of them and I was pretty far. So, show starts, smal boy gets on stage with his back turned on me and he is ubnormally tall. Even the musical director turns and tells him "You're so tall", so I'm thinking, what the heck? for a second and then he turns and it's Joe Massey :o :o ! I realy hope no one heard me almost shouting "it's Joe" but I was so surprised I couldn't help it. So opening scene goes great, only I keep watching Joe. He did great with everyone trying to guide him onstage. At the end of the scene it was so funny 'cos with Scott on we had a small boy almost taller than Billy :lol: ! And then when the whole cast gets back onstage the poor cast member who has to carry small boy had a bit of trouble so Joe climbed on his right shoulder instead of both shoulders.
Rest of show went smoothly. Grandma is still played beautifully by Romy, which makes me wonder since I was there last Tuesday and didn't notice anything wrong with new grandma. Breakfast scene is fine I'm just not sure now that they've made the omelette so tiny if the "two burned slices of toast" (or whatever the exact line is-lol) line makes any sense.
Boxing scene, really funny, with Joe strugling to fit in small boy's coat. Maybe not as cute for most audience members but hilarious for me...
Conor, once again, fantastic in express with the audience loving him and laughing all the way.
Yesterday before I went to the show I wrote some comments about Scott who I had seen twice in the past week. Well, if I liked him those two times I absolutelly loved him last night. His letter once again, so emotional, with him mouthing the words while Mrs W sings and changing his facial expressions. His voice almost angelic. There was not a dry eye in the house when that was finished I swear. B2B was almost faultless and I was impressed at how easy it was for him to deliver his lines right after b2b during the toilet scene with Debbie. It was as if all that skipping tapping and dancing hadn't affected him at all! Lots of laghter from the audience at his reaction to Debbies "I'll show you my f***" line.
Angry dance, wow! Exhausting! It brought tears to my eyes which hasn't happened in a while, but this young man can really show emotion and anger!
MCMT went fine with Joe really enjoying himself as small boy, or so it seemed. He probably hated it :lol: . Fantastic Dream Ballet with Barnaby. I could tell that the audience was amazed!
Electricity was abslolute perfection. I trully cannot find any other word to describe it. Scott's singing was faultless even in the middle of the number and his dancing...breathtaking. And all from such a small boy! The applause went on forever with Scott trying to keep a serious face but breaking into joyous laughter more than once. I'm sure the applause would go on for much longer but he decided to stop it by moving out of his pose.
Right afrer electricity, in the scene where everyone asks Billy how it went, and George leaves the room with Big Davey, the latter normally picks up small boy when leaving. That was obviously impossible yesterday so Joe had left much earlier.
I noticed a small change in the dialogue right after they find out the strike is over. Tony normally says something like "When you're my age Billy everyone we know will be unemployed". Last night he said "When you come back Billy everyone we know will be unemployed" which I'm not sure makes much sense so maybe it was a small mistake?
Fantastic finale from the cast and Scott who really seems to be enjoying it. The audience was OK , not over enthusiastic but seemed really into it. In the scene where they try to rsise the money for the audition when Bily asks "can we use it dad?" the Italian lady behind me kept saying "Yes, say yes!"
Well, sorry ifsthis review is huge, not sure anyone would read all of it :) , but I just loved last night's show and Scott and had to write about it. BTW seats B16 17 and 18 weresempty last night which was a surprise. I guess some people missed an amazing show!
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Great review, athadj, and no way is it overly long -- perfect. It hit all the highlights as seen through your practiced eyes. Thanks for sharing your observations.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Thanks jacob for your very thought provoking review of Scott and the Saturday matinee. I am just surfacing after the mother and father of a winter virus which caused me to miss the cast chage shows and am going tonight to see the changes (B14 at 12.20pm can't be bad :P ). Will hopefully do a review tomorrow with my impressions.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Hi
For me and I think I can speak for many others, don't worry about the length of your reviews they are great to read, nice to see other people's opinions, I always look forward to them very much.

Thanks Barry
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

athadj wrote: it was so funny 'cos with Scott on we had a small boy almost taller than Billy
I had the same reaction when I saw the young-looking Billys and Michaels being whisked to the Billy Bus after my shows there in June . . . thinking, "Hard to tell the Billys, Michaels and small boys apart !"
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Tuesday December 7th 2010

Having surfaced from 2 weeks of a virus that caused me to miss the cast change this was my first sight of the new show so forgive me for the detail. Firstly the cast had to contend with a smaller but nevertheless very attentive audience. No patrons in Grand Circle or Day seats and empty at back of stalls.

Billy was Rhys with Reece and Emily and full cast except Romy as Gran.
I warmed to the new cast and really liked Martin Marquez as Dad and Tom Lorcan as Tony. I found their interpretations very authentic, believable, and full of fresh perspectives that helped focus the mind of an old stager like me. Big Davey (Derek Richards) has a very powerful voice and personna and new Dead Mum (Kay Milbourne) is excellent. Although we started off with Aaron Lynch as small boy, a new small boy (Thomas or Max) was bloodied for act 2. The new small girl playing Alison Summers in the team last night also radiates the stage with her smiles and dancing.

Rhys is an old hand now and last night (apart from the skipping and that malfunctioning tape that would not respond to the pencil) he was on top form with plenty of Rhysie grins and added line elements which I did not know if they were new dialogue or his take. Lovely empathic acting especially with Romy and a very funny little camp routine with Dad and the scarf and suitcase. Really gave a feel of developing warmth between the two. A nice sensitive touch also when mouthing to his brother 'piss off this is Mam's song' when nudged in Dad's song. Lovely clean balletic dancing by Rhys throughout. Rhys is the natural successor to Tom Holland in 'The Letter'. Last night's sobbing and tears had a very visible fluttering of hankies in the stalls!!
I am now going to list my likes and uncertainanties at the new routine.

-The use of a bronchodilator by George in the boxing scene. (Nice clapped out feel plus it looked as if he had a truss in the trouser area.) :oops:
- 'It's not flipping macrami' (back)
-The use of a 'Sun' newspaper by the police when taunting the miners. ( This paper was staunch pro Maggie in the strike)
- The music in Expressing. Prominent clarinet and a swing/ jazz feel with a very American touch almost in the tradition of Aaron Copeland. (spoke to Mike Collins the MD last night who confirmed these changes).
- The inaudible joke in Expressing has gone!
-Billy attempting to take control over Mrs W's household intervention by telling her twice to 'go away'.
- Mr B plays the Accordian again.
- The toilet routine with Debbie. (played very well by Emily). Far less coarse and with suggestive drumming of fingers.
- 'I die' sung not said.
-Billy's call of 'Tony' to retreating brother and Dad's new postitioning in the scab- money scene.
- RBS curtain scenes with Dad and posh Dad and then ballet dancer ( an excellent Ashley Andrews).
- The judging panel in the audition scene especially the chairman.
- The promotion of Shaun Henson to a very believable Inspector of Police.

UNCERTAINTIES:
-Michael: 'I need the gents'. A bit twee. Prefer 'toilet'.
-Tall boy (The excellent Ashley) surplus to requirements in Act 1. Replaced by mining lady for 'the police are bussing the scabs in early'.
-Dancing dresses and trousers. So large as to almost eliminate Billy and Michael from view at times in Expressing. Certainly presented a moving obstacle course for the boys.
- Mr B thumbing his nose at Billy at the end of the ballet rousse speach. ( Coarse and blunts the 'intellectual' element that confuses Billy).
-RBS receptionist ( Caroline D) with suggestive and flirty moves as if to seduce Dad. Cannot see a posh receptionist doing that.
-Mr B overall. ( a shadow of Phil S at present. Sorry)
-'Billy when you return' instead of 'when your my age everyone you know will be unemployed'. Would Billy return especially after Mrs W tells him 'to piss off out of here'?

Overall though the plusses well outweighed the minuses for me. This new show is balanced and very refreshing in interpretation and the new cast certainly have livened it up considerably. I left with plenty to think about but not before I had managed to get the audience at the end on their feet at the end to give Rhys and the new cast the ovations they thoroughly deserved.
As a footnote also admired the way Rhys looked after the new somewhat shell shocked small boy at the final curtain encouraging him to wave back to the audience. :D

-
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Plenty of food for thought there, deanfan5 :D .

Looking forward to getting there tomorrow and seeing for myself.
Hope the regulars make it tomorrow, too :D .

Pat

Return to “Reviews Archive”