Pitmen Painters

Chat about other shows here
PaulT
Small Boy

Pitmen Painters

Post by PaulT »

This Lee Hall play about the Ashington Group of miners who took up painting is currently on at the National Theatre. I saw it yesterday and it is a very good play with quite a number of laugh out loud moments and quite a lot of similar lines to Billy.
Friar on old forum
jen
Miner

Re: Pitman Painters

Post by jen »

Going to see it Tuesday.
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

This is a great play. It does loose it a bit in act 2 however it is well worth going to see if you are able to get a ticket the theatre was packed. And parts of it do sound very much like Billy Elliot but 50 years earlier.
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

I have seen and enjoyed it twice now.
Born to Boogie
Tall Boy

Post by Born to Boogie »

I think this has now just finished its current run at The National and I think it is going on tour next so if you didn't get the opporunity to see it in London I would certainly look for it coming more locally. This really is an excellent production. The storyline is strong and made all the more important as it is based of course on a true story and on real people. The range of characters is varied, the pace of the production tight and the comedy played excellently against the backdrop of a much more serious-minded storyline. Fans of Billy Elliot will recognise a fair number of lines from the play and there's even a character called 'Susan Parks' if any one needed any more evidence that this another great play from the pen of Lee Hall.
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

It will be on in Sheffield in November.

http://www.seatchoice.com/tickets/pg:25 ... 1911809444
James.R
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by James.R »

I went to see the play this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. The pace is tight throughout except for 2-3 scenes in the second act as people have commented but for most of it it has the great fast twists and emotional turns between themes in each scene..

Anyone having seen BETM will recognise the very distinctive touch of Lee Hall with the mix of comedy, hard cutting political satire and comment and the clever use of cutural and liguistic tricks.

The scenery has a very similar feel (and the same designer) with yes......a lot of chairs....but mixed with a cunning use of projection screens and easels for the painting.

The principle characters, whilst essentially sterotypes for the different societal elements of the time, do have depth and growth through the acts.

The play is on in London for only a few more days but it is definitely worth trying to catch on tour or when it's back at the end of the year.

It would have been the icing but alas Trevor Fox, although listed in the cast list was not performing. Trevor is currently understudy for all the other roles (with the exception of those that are too young for him...or are women). Being a 2 hour 10 minute play..that is a LOT of dialogue to learn!!!!
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

shadowchaser wrote:Unfortunately it's not heading North of the Border although it is crossing to Ireland. :?
Yes, it is on at the Dublin Theatre Festival from 6-10th Oct. After the performance on the 7th Oct. there will be an onstage chat between Lee Hall and Roddy Doyle.
http://www.dublintheatrefestival.com/pr ... tid=332&m=

I was just about to book for this when I realised I'm over in London that evening for An Inspector Calls!!!!

I have already seen the play in London and highly recommend it.

Pat
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

After watching the clips on the South Bank Show last weekend I've booked to go see it at The Lowry theatre, Salford next week. Can't wait! :)
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

This play is absolutely superb and one of the best plays I've ever seen! Loved it! Very funny throughout but with quite a thought provoking and sad ending. Go see it if you can! ;)

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”