Miner

Re: George Maguire

Post by Westletonion »

George stars in:
TWENTIETH CENTURY BOY - THE MUSICAL
8th September - 1st October 2011 at the New Wolsey Theatre, Ipswich

Cast Announcement
We're very excited to reveal our cast for 20th Century Boy - The Musical
Starring as Marc Bolan, we welcome George Maguire one of the three original cast members who carried the title role in Billy Elliot the Musical. He has won, jointly (with the two other original Billy's) the Theatre Goers' Choice Award 2005 for The Most Promising Newcomer, as well as - unique in British theatre history - again jointly with his two castmates, the prestigious Sir Laurence Olivier Award 2006 for Best Actor in a Musical.
Starring as June, we welcome West-End star Jenna Lee James. Jenna recently played the Narrator in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat at the Adelphi Theatre, with Lee Mead and Gareth Gates. She also appeared in the original cast of We Will Rock You playing both Meatloaf and Scaramouche at the Dominion Theatre.
Also joining the company are Donna Hines (Gloria), Craig Storrod (Rolan Bolan), Greg Barnett (Tony Visconti), Katie Bernstein (Helen Shapiro), Matthew Ashcroft (Steve Took) and Peter Manchester (Simon Napier-Bell). The rocking band are made up of Tim Bonser (Mickey Finn), Hugo Degenhardt (Bill Legend) and Steve Simmonds (Steve Currie).
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

That sounds great! :D It's good to know that George is still performing.

Do you have a link for this announcement, please?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Here's one link I found: http://www.wolseytheatre.co.uk/2385/pre ... sical.html

On the other hand, the Marc Bolan fanclub seems to have picked the wrong George Maguire. :?

http://www.marc-bolan.com/public/publicnews.php
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
PaulWilly
Ballet Girl

Post by PaulWilly »

Sadly not our George
Dear Ellen, sadly the Marc Bolan Fan club has obviously picked the proper pic of the
actor chosen for the lead role in that new musical "20th Century Boy" - as confirmed
by the Facebook page of that musical and the cast pics in there, it is obvioulsy that
a bit older British actor with the same name "George Maguire" - who btw had saved
his name in the British actors' union Equity already sometime befor our Billy-George had
even started with BETM. And one must admit that this "George Maguire" even looks a bit
similar to Marc Bolan.
So sadly obviously something must have gone wrong with the announcement posted by
Westletonion... :( :(

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 4511175933
“It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Now this is confusing. That's why we ask for links. 8-) From an admittedly not very exhaustive search, I couldn't find one with the text that was copied into the original post. :?
Ellen

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Wesletonian passed on to me this information. He had received a newsletter from Orange, the sponsors of the production of 20th Century Boy. Here is the text of that newsletter. I must say that with George's background with Billy Elliot (and therefore the association with the music of T Rex) and his talents as a musician, I think it makes perfect sense that he would be cast in this role instead of the other George Maguire.

I have inserted the live link to the interview with Brian Dunham at the appropriate place in the text.
July 2011 - e-Newsletter

We're at the end of another incredibly successful Open Season with performers of all ages taking to the New Wolsey stage, some of them for the first time. Thank you to all of the audience and the participants for your support.

And now, we're almost ready to have a little summer rest which enables us to carry out essential maintenance work at the theatre (and also give some of us a holiday!). We'll let you know in our August Newsletter exactly what our maintenance team get up to over the summer period. We hope you have a great summer and we'll see you for our Autumn season in September.

Over the coming months we are redesigning our website and e-mail newsletters to make them clearer. We're very much aware that, for some of you, these e-mails don't always display correctly! If you've any ideas about how we can communicate with you better please reply to this e-mail. We'd love the feedback.

What's On

20th Century Boy - The Musical
8 September 2011 - 1 October 2011

The world première of this new musical explodes onto the New Wolsey stage this autumn. 20th Century Boy is a celebration of the life of Marc Bolan and his band T.Rex. Limited run - tickets selling fast!

More Info Book Now

Cast Announcement

We're very excited to reveal our cast for 20th Century Boy - The Musical

Starring as Marc Bolan, we welcome George Maguire one of the three original cast members who carried the title role in Billy Elliot the Musical. He has won, jointly (with the two other original Billy's) the Theatre Goers' Choice Award 2005 for The Most Promising Newcomer, as well as - unique in British theatre history - again jointly with his two castmates, the prestigious Sir Laurence Olivier Award 2006 for Best Actor in a Musical.

Starring as June, we welcome West-End star Jenna Lee James. Jenna recently played the Narrator in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat at the Adelphi Theatre, with Lee Mead and Gareth Gates. She also appeared in the original cast of We Will Rock You playing both Meatloaf and Scaramouche at the Dominion Theatre.

Also joining the company are Donna Hines (Gloria), Craig Storrod (Rolan Bolan), Greg Barnett (Tony Visconti), Katie Bernstein (Helen Shapiro), Matthew Ashcroft (Steve Took) and Peter Manchester (Simon Napier-Bell). The rocking band are made up of Tim Bonser (Mickey Finn), Hugo Degenhardt (Bill Legend) and Steve Simmonds (Steve Currie).

View the Trailer

Listen to an interview with Brian Dunham from Bolanic Productions http://soundcloud.com/ace-megarex/brian ... iew-pt-1-2

Box Office Closed

For the summer period, the Box Office will be closed to telephone and in person customers from Friday 29th July at 8.00pm. We will re-open on Monday 22nd August at 10.00am.

You'll still be able to book online 24 hours a day on our website and we will be dispatching all tickets for postage over each weekend. A voicemail system will operate during this closure.

Working at the New Wolsey

Each summer we begin the recruitment process for our Front of House team. If you've got bags of enthusiasm, an infectious personality and maybe even a passion for Theatre then we'd love to hear from you. Keep an eye out here from Friday 22nd July to find out how to apply. If you are successful, you'll be joining us for our World Premiere production of 20th Century Boy which promises to be an exciting time for us all. While you're waiting for applications to open, start writing out why you'd like to work with us - there's a lot of competition!

Facebook & Twitter

Our Facebook and Twitter pages now have almost 3000 fans! Join in the fun and don't forget to 'check-in' on your smartphone next time you're here!

http://www.facebook.com/NewWolsey
http://www.twitter.com/NewWolsey

We send the monthly e-list to all customers that have acknowledged they are happy to receive e-mails from us. If you'd like to unsubscribe, click the link at the top to send us an e-mail.

Calling Local Creative Industries!

IP1 Magazine has been commissioned by Suffolk County Council in order to establish a unique selling point for Suffolk. There is a need to identify our strengths and our weaknesses and establish what we offer that the surrounding counties don't. This survey will help ensure that public funds are directed to the right places for the future. IP1 is working in partnership with The Suffolk Chamber of Commerce in order to deliver this research.

Here is the link to the survey.

IP1 Magazine are interested to hear from anyone who has a stake in the local creative industries. Those working in the industry and those who want to work in it.

© 2011 The New Wolsey Theatre

Civic Drive
Ipswich, Suffolk
IP1 2AS
United Kingdom

Get In Touch

t: Box Office +44 (0) 1473 295 900
e: tickets@wolseytheatre.co.uk

Contact Us

Quick Links

Whats On
Visiting
Creative Learning
About Us
Ellen

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I suggest that someone might call the New Wolsey Theatre and ask which George will be performing the role of Marc Bolan. 8-) Then we will have a definitive answer. :D
Ellen

Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

I have contacted the Wolsey Theatre and they confirm that details of the wrong George Maguire were given! :evil: :oops:
So it is not 'our George' after all. :cry: Sorry about the confusion which was passed on in good faith. I agree with Ellen though that he would have been the ideal candidate for the role.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for having called them, Wesletonian. That's too bad! :( But at least now people won't be buying tickets just to see our George and find themselves disappointed.
Ellen

StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Someone did a google search based only on the name and made a hasty conclusion in PR me thinks...that someone is getting yelled at lol. In their defense it IS an honest mistake considering the overlap with BE music and name, but still confirm first!!! I at least remember another actor had same name and "reserved" it.

Return to “Cast - London”