Greg Jbara

jbarafan
Audience Member

Re: Greg Jbara

Post by jbarafan »

ERinVA wrote:
porschesrule wrote:Greg has put up a reminder on his website that his final performance in the Broadway production of BETM will be on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 7:30pm.

http://gregoryjbara.com/billyelliotbroa ... endar.html

I didn't realize this was a reminder. I saw the post above that his contract had been extended to Labor Day, but I didn't equate that with a notice that he would not perform beyond that date.

Greg has done a great service to the company by remaining in the role of Dad this long, and I know he will be greatly missed. I wish him well with all his future endeavors, especially the opportunity to return to his home in LA and his wife and boys.
Long time off/on lurker, first time poster here.

I'm sure this goes without saying, but Greg truly appreciates very much all the support from the fans.

Now, with apologies for any nitpicking on my part, but to appease my "OCD" nature, some slight clarifications, as the word "reminder" a few posts back has me a trifle confused. (Sorry if I'm misreading the meaning there.) June 3rd on Greg's web site (and subsequently his/his web site's twitter account) was the first time and place ever that it was announced that September 4th would be his final date with BE....and (ipso facto) this extension past June 26 had been finalized. Prior to the contract terms being actually ironed out over the past few days, this final extension was still in the "talks" stage, and June 26th could have been his final date, had talks gone differently.

Thanks for indulging me in that previous paragraph. It's just how I am. The little things are what drive me nuts, sorry. :)

Now more back to the subject at hand, as sad as any of us may be that Greg is leaving the show, the upside is indeed that he will be home with his family.

By the way, in case some haven't caught the additional info on the BE schedule page at Greg's web site, we've added his July vacation days, which are July 11 through 19.

Barb
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Hello Barb,

I know that quite a few of our members know you from Broadway World and realize that you are Greg's webmaster, but many on this forum may not know that, so I just thought I would let them know so they wouldn't be wondering how you know what you know. Thanks for joining us. We're glad to have you as a member. :D

Ellen
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Barb,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you'll post often.

Let me apologize, as I'm the one who used the word "reminder" in my post. My understanding was that Greg had indeed negotiated an extension to Labor Day and, as that extension would be less than the usual six month contract that he's negotiated in the past, that this would be his last extension as he wanted to be with his family in LA. If I misinterpreted that, I'm sorry for any grief my use of that word may have caused.
jbarafan
Audience Member

Post by jbarafan »

porschesrule wrote:Barb,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you'll post often.

Let me apologize, as I'm the one who used the word "reminder" in my post. My understanding was that Greg had indeed negotiated an extension to Labor Day and, as that extension would be less than the usual six month contract that he's negotiated in the past, that this would be his last extension as he wanted to be with his family in LA. If I misinterpreted that, I'm sorry for any grief my use of that word may have caused.
porschesrule, that's okay, but I do believe that you must have misunderstood something because I know that Greg had told me that he wanted his site to be the first place where the announcement of the extension happening / final date would be posted, and that prior to that, if someone asked about it, he was telling them to watch for the news on his web site. So I can't believe he would have told you or anyone (outside of the obvious family, etc.) that the contract had actually completed negotiations before telling me and giving me a chance to post it to his web site since this was pretty much a promise he gave me, and I like to take him at his word. And yes, I hope it doesn't seem petty or childish or whatnot of me, but as his webmaster, these things are important to me, as I know Greg knows they are and respects that. If I found out for certain to the contrary, I would be quite disappointed. On the other hand, I guess it's neither here nor there at this point. Like I said, I'm sort of OCDish about this sort of thing.

Erin, thanks for filling everyone in on who I am in relation to Greg.

Not sure how often I'll be posting, but hopefully I won't be a pain in the tush about stuff all the time when I do. lol Hope I haven't come off so far as too much of a looney tune. ;) I'm nowhere near as nice as Greg, but I'm really not a bad sort either. lol
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

jbarafan wrote:I'm nowhere near as nice as Greg, but I'm really not a bad sort either. lol
Well let's be honest Barb I know very few people who are as nice as Greg. He is one of the nicest, approachable people you could ever hope to meet and I am proud to be in his "Thank You" list (along with, I'm sure, other Forum members). He will be sadly missed by the fans and, I'm sure, more so by the cast and crew.

It will be great for him though to be back home again with his family and friends.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Billy Whiz wrote: Well let's be honest Barb. I know very few people who are as nice as Greg. He is one of the nicest, approachable people you could ever hope to meet.
I agree 100%! Greg is so down-to-earth and appreciative of his being able to earn a living doing something he loves (and is exceptionally good at). He has been extraordinarily generous with his time for fans of the show. I will never forget the evening I somehow became part of an impromptu tour he lead onto the stage after a show.

I don't know how he makes it seem like he's just saying his lines in impromptu conversation even though you know that he's done that exact scene hundreds of repetitions. He brings depth, warmth, and authenticity to the role of Jackie Elliot that can be felt throughout the theatre every time he performs. And I love his singing.

I certainly wish him well in his career (which I intend to follow astutely) and his family life. He deserves only the best.
Phoebe
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I'm sure you will. 8-)
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

shimmyshimmy wrote:I was speaking to Armand for a while a couple of nights ago and considered asking him whether he'd be replacing Greg or a transfer to the Tour or............. But I decided not to ask, as I never like putting anyone in position where they have say that they can't say. Figured I'd read about a replacement when it's announced.
In light of the announcement today that Armand is leaving the Toronto cast, it would have been interesting as to what he would have said :p
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Greg is going to be hosting the Jimmy Awards on June 27.
The Jimmy Award, named in honor of James M. Nederlander, the Broadway theatre owner and producer, will be presented live onstage to select students following five days of interviews and private coaching supervised by faculty at New York University Tisch School of the Arts’ New Studio on Broadway. Students also participate in master classes and rehearsals at NYU.
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/15 ... Presenters
Ellen

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

ERinVA wrote:Greg is going to be hosting the Jimmy Awards on June 27.
The Jimmy Award, named in honor of James M. Nederlander, the Broadway theatre owner and producer, will be presented live onstage to select students following five days of interviews and private coaching supervised by faculty at New York University Tisch School of the Arts’ New Studio on Broadway. Students also participate in master classes and rehearsals at NYU.
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/15 ... Presenters
Congratulations to Shauni Ruetz of Ontario, NY (near Rochester) and Ryan McCartan of Minneapolis for winning the best actress/actor awards. :D
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... ext|Home|s
:/

Return to “Cast - Broadway”