Los Angeles, CA

skkmercury
Small Boy

Re: Los Angeles, CA

Post by skkmercury »

Unfortunately, the LA run will not be extended.... at least not at the Pantages. "Chicago" is opening there on May 15th I believe.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

cglaid wrote:Do you think they'll extend the LA run if the tour does well here? They have a pretty big gap between LA and Des Moines, 5-13 to 6-12. I hope they'll continue with their original sit down plan.
Aren't they having some cast changes in May? Everybody will deserve a break from pounding the road for half a year. I thought the whole point if a SETA contract is to allow such flexibility so that the Tour can best maximize the dates it is on tour, and not have to pay for extended breaks that will inevitably be required in such an intensive undertaking.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

kport wrote:Aren't they having some cast changes in May? Everybody will deserve a break from pounding the road for half a year. I thought the whole point if a SETA contract is to allow such flexibility so that the Tour can best maximize the dates it is on tour, and not have to pay for extended breaks that will inevitably be required in such an intensive undertaking.
I believe, from everything I've read, that is correct, kport -- the time will be a built-in hiatus for R & R and rehearsals for new cast members.
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

kport wrote:Aren't they having some cast changes in May? Everybody will deserve a break from pounding the road for half a year. I thought the whole point if a SETA contract is to allow such flexibility so that the Tour can best maximize the dates it is on tour, and not have to pay for extended breaks that will inevitably be required in such an intensive undertaking.
Cast changes would certainly seem possible as it's likely that many of the performers are on six-month contracts.
gpcolo
George

Post by gpcolo »

"Cast changes" was the reported reason for cutting the San Antonio run down to one week. Seems more likely to happen after the L.A. stop.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

gpcolo wrote:"Cast changes" was the reported reason for cutting the San Antonio run down to one week. Seems more likely to happen after the L.A. stop.
I think the Easter/Passover weekend we are now observing has something to do with the cut in dates in SA. Theater attendance would be down over this weekend and I am sure some the of cast have religious commitments to keep. If that is the case, it would have made little sense to have shows last Tuesday through Thursday as well before heading to LA. Better to have a short run, pack em in, then take time transitioning the set to LA and give the cast a brief break - and perhaps transition in a few new ones with extra rehearsal time that is available.

(I have no evidence to support this, but I have an inkling the set will be replaced or have parts repaired while in LA. Going even further out on a limb, I think there always was a second set, to be used for spares and replacements for the tour. It would be daft not to have created a second spare set when the tour was pared down, and LA seems a likely place to store it. But....what do I know? ;) )
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

For those planning on attending BETM in LA, the Pantages Theatre website contains this warning:

"Due to production requirements, "BILLY ELLIOT" will start at its scheduled time, on the dot! If you arrive after the start time, you will be held for 6 minutes, until after the first number - "Stars Look Down."

"BILLY ELLIOT features a run time of 2 hours and 57 minutes, with an 18 minute intermission. Plan ahead and leave early to give yourself plenty of time to get to your seat. If you need help planning your visit, the Pantages Theatre Neighborhood Guide on our website has details about parking, dining, and other information that may assist you."

http://www.broadwayla.org/production/sh ... .asp?ID=55
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

This is a warning to LA residents who are INFAMOUS for arriving late, also for leaving early(usually because of traffic). I swear they'd leave before the last inning of a perfect game...in the world series(look at coverage of 1988 world series when Gibson hit his winning home run and see cars leaving.)
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Traffic can be a real pain in L.A. and Hollywood, for sure. For those planning on attending a show at the Pantages Theater, a good idea to avoid traffic snarls might be to take the L.A. Subway Metro. There's a stop directly across the street from the Pantages Theater (it's the Hollywood & Vine stop). Couldn't be much more convenient for the theater, and it would be a good way to avoid having to pay for parking and getting stuck in traffic.

I attended a performance of Jerry Seinfeld at this theater a month ago. It's a beautiful old theater built around 1930. I stayed within walking distance of it in Hollywood, although I should mention that the part of Hollywood near the theater isn't the safest-feeling after dark, unfortunately. If I were to go to the Pantages again, I'd probably take the Metro train, especially after seeing how convenient it is to the theater.

Here's the hotel I stayed at - The Hollywood Celebrity Hotel - which I would recommend: http://www.hotelcelebrity.com/ Prices start at $119 per room which is much less expensive than most of the hotels in this area (unless you stay at a seedy motel, which I wouldn't recommend - especially in this part of town). It's right behind the Hollywood & Highland/Kodak Theater/Grauman's Chinese Theater complex and is in a more safe-feeling neighborhood. There's a metro stop right there at Hollywood & Highland, making it easy to get to the theater. Or it's about a 10 minute walk if you decide to opt for that.

For anyone booking a room at the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel, a suggestion would be to ask for a room facing south (towards the Kodak Theater). The rooms facing north can sometimes be a bit noisy due to the traffic on nearby Franklin Avenue just north of the hotel.
mxmx
Small Boy

Post by mxmx »

It would really be nice to have the breakfast scene play without the distraction of latecomers. Sad that the Pantages had to issue something that practically reads like a fascist edict.

Return to “Billy Elliot the Musical - N. Amer./Int'l Tour”