Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cameron Clifford

Post by ERinVA »

That was very special, I'm sure.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Fanatic
Small Boy

Post by Billy Fanatic »

Cameron was the Michael for 3 of the 5 shows I saw last week. Each time I was amazed at his performance and found it hard to believe he'd only been doing the role for 2 weeks. Very, very impressive for this 10 year old who's small enough that both Joseph Harrington and Alex Ko - both of whom themselves are far from being tall - have to very noticeably lean forward in order for Cameron as Michael to give his kiss to Billy when it's just the two of them in the hall after the Christmas party. (I believe Cameron's 10 since the web site for the Star Maker School for Performing Arts where he's a student states that Cameron was 8 when he landed a role in the 2009 off-Broadway production of Waiting for Godot at the Roundabout Theatre.)

From the notes I jotted down after my first time seeing Cameron perform on March 24: "Plays role less broadly than some other Michaels but very, very funny and engaging. Will continue to grow in the role and claim as own." On my second viewing of Cameron at the matinee on Saturday, March 26 I made a note "Still very impressive. At curtain call actually received longer louder applause than either Greg Jbara or Will Chase." Actually, the louder and longer applause than Dad and Tony (which role on the 24th was played by Jason Babinsky) was the case for all three of Cameron's performances I saw; the third being the Sunday matinee on March 27.

I'm not the only one taken by Cameron's performance. At the stage door after Saturday's matinee, Joseph Harrington, our Billy for that performance, was signing autographs. When a fan handed Joseph a souvenir program book that had already been signed by Cameron, upon seeing the signature Joseph commented, "Cameron, I love Cameron."
Billy Fanatic
"Normal not to be normal"

BROADWAY - 19:
Billy: Alex K. x3, Giuseppe x1, Jacob x2, Joseph x5, Julian x2, Myles x1, Peter x4, Tade x1
Michael: Cameron x7, Jack x5, Jake S. x2, Neil x5
Debbie: Georgi x5, Lilla x14
Small Boy: Alex D. x10, Seth x3, Zachary x6
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Ben x12, Giuseppe x1, Joseph x2, Julian x2, Myles x1, Tade x1

TOUR - 3
RICHMOND, VA:

Billy: Ben x1, Drew x1, Noah x1
Michael: Jake K. x1, Sam x2
Debbie: Samantha x3
Small Boy: Cal x3
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Jake K. x2, Sam x1
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Billy Fanatic wrote:this 10 year old who's small enough that both Joseph Harrington and Alex Ko - both of whom themselves are far from being tall - have to very noticeably lean forward in order for Cameron as Michael to give his kiss to Billy
Interesting that the production team continues to cast the Michaels to be younger and smaller than the Billys. I'd be interested in hearing why this is done more frequently now, as opposed to casting them roughly the same age and size as the Billys, as was done in the early years of the musical.

Maybe they decided that the cross-dressing comes across more as "just playing around" with Billy when Michael appears to be of grade-school age, rather than it being more of a sexual awakening if Michael looked like a young teenager. Could be another case of "softening" the more controversial elements of the show, like they've done with the profanity in the U.S. tour.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Todd wrote:
Billy Fanatic wrote:this 10 year old who's small enough that both Joseph Harrington and Alex Ko - both of whom themselves are far from being tall - have to very noticeably lean forward in order for Cameron as Michael to give his kiss to Billy
Interesting that the production team continues to cast the Michaels to be younger and smaller than the Billys. I'd be interested in hearing why this is done more frequently now, as opposed to casting them roughly the same age and size as the Billys, as was done in the early years of the musical.

Maybe they decided that the cross-dressing comes across more as "just playing around" with Billy when Michael appears to be of grade-school age, rather than it being more of a sexual awakening if Michael looked like a young teenager. Could be another case of "softening" the more controversial elements of the show, like they've done with the profanity in the U.S. tour.
You could be right, but I think it might also be due to casting boys so that they may progress from Michael/Tall Boy to Billy as they grow. I understand from a recent interview that Daniel Russell had to wait quite a while until he was tall enough to become Billy (so that he would be at least as tall as the Michael). In the movie, both boys appear to be the same age and size.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Developing Billys through the ranks makes a lot of sense. Kylend Hetherington is one that comes to mind.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

As I recall the Michael in the movie was quite a bit smaller than Billy as well.
:/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

CJ-Rochester wrote:As I recall the Michael in the movie was quite a bit smaller than Billy as well.
I think you need to watch the movie again. 8-) :D They really were about the same size and appeared to be the same age, although Jamie Bell was 13 at the time, and Stuart Wells was (incredibly) 17.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

"Stuart Wells was (incredibly) 17."

:shock: :o
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

dongringo wrote:"Stuart Wells was (incredibly) 17."

:shock: :o
I remember being shocked when I found that out, as well, since he could have easily passed for about 13 in the movie. Still quite a change in philosophy from how they cast the current Michaels, who are - or appear to be - about 10 or 11.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

But we digress, so let's get back to the wonderful Cameron. :D
Ellen

Return to “Cast - N. American/International Tour”