aimeewill_2002
Tall Boy

Re: April 2009

Post by aimeewill_2002 »

Monday 13th April
Brad
George
David- dad

What an excellent show, again such a different portrayal from brad, as a much more confident Billy. I am not going to give a full review of the show just my favourite parts.

Grandma's song- Brad was excellent in this laughing and different parts and really entering into his grandma's world.

The letter- Since the last time of seing him he has got a lot more emotional during this scene and really makes the audience believe that he really misses his mam.

The Winter scene- Well what can I say, George was excellent he portrayed a very vulnerable side to his character really looking scared that Billy would not accept him. I have rarely seen such a connection between the Billy and michal during this scene before.

Electricity- As always a joy to watch well done Brad the audience would not stop cheering.

Now the most interesting scene this evening was the goodbye scene between Mrs Wilkinson and Billy. Only on last nights have a seen such an emtional fair well with Brad looking generally upset that he was leaving Mrs Wilkinson behind. This shows what an excellent actor this young man is.

Finally there was a new small boy tonight, who was absolutly tiny and fantastic, word has it that it was his first night but if anyone could confirm this, and let us know his name that would be brilliant :D Well done to David his portrayal as Jackie Elliot is brilliant, by far my favouite Jackie as he is always a joy to watch :)
aimeewill_2002
Tall Boy

Post by aimeewill_2002 »

I am sure the fact that it is half term helps matters but it still proves what a hugely popular show this is :lol:
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

News coming in that the second half of this afternoon's show (Thursday, 16th April) has been abandoned. No reason given but fire engine at front of theatre.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Westletonion wrote:News coming in that the second half of this afternoon's show (Thursday, 16th April) has been abandoned. No reason given but fire engine at front of theatre.
Something must be happening because they're not answering the phone and the BBC jam cam is switched off for Victoria street so I can't see anything!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Tanner was on this afternoon but the show was cancelled during the interval. A lady came on the stage (sorry but I don't know her name) and announced that due to circumstances beyond their control everybody would have to leave the theatre. Everybody was told to hang on to their tickets and contact the box office. No reason was given.

I have been told that the show is going ahead as scheduled this evening.

Thanks to JohnH who relayed this information to me.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
CeeCee
Audience Member

Post by CeeCee »

My daughters and I were there this afternoon. We knew something was wrong when the safety curtain did not come up at the end of the interval. Once the announcement was made that the performance had to be terminated due to circumstances out of the theatres control everyone left calmly and there were 3 fire engines outside. Apparently the firemen could see smoke somewhere inside but could not work out where it was coming from at that time. The lady from the VP later came out and explained that people could exchange tickets or get refunds etc etc.

We were glad it did not seem to be serious but oh so disapointed not to be able to see Tanner do Swan Lake and Electricity. We have not been able to go to Billy since November (victims of the economic downturn!) and having been given some Christmas/Birthday money thought we would see if we could get tickets today. Clearly we did not mind which Billy we saw, but when we found out it was Tanner we were so excited. It has been so, so long since I have seen a Ballet Billy and from what I saw in the first half I was looking forward to Act 2. We will be looking to exchange our tickets and I guess will have to wait and see what Billy we get next time - but I would so love to be able to see Tanner finish what he started, so it is fingers crossed.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

That is such a shame CeeCee.

I hope you get your wish to see Tanner next time.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 16th April

Tanner, Dean-Charles, Annabelle
David B as Dad

Phil Snowden was back (both of them, that is). I'll get to this later.

I promised you a new description for Tanner's next Thursday matinee appearance so here it is. Today's show was:

T a n n e r i f i c

It was so tannerific that it finally set the theatre on fire or, at least, gave that impression.
Today's audience was another huge one with even the boxes taken. (I didn't see it myself but I heard afterwards that some of them snuck into the Billy Box at one point). The buzz before the show was palpable with hundreds of youngsters present still enjoying their break from school.

Once the show began the buzz got even better. Small Boy's (Lewis) three "Jesuses" and pressups brought the house down and the w...nker line was delivered with exceedingly good timing. Fascinating how such a small person can be that cool in front of 1500 people.

Ann Emery is loved by all but, when the theatre is full of children, you can feel the extra vibes when they see a Grandma they'd all love to have.

There isn't an awful lot more you can add that hasn't been already said about Tanner and his build up sequence from the early "what am I supposed to do, Miss?" through the first spin to Mrs W, his truly amazing across-the-stage spin in Solidarity to the magnificent pirouettes and final pose just before angry Dad comes in was expertly done and pure magic to watch and enjoy.
That angry scene with Dad is an awful humiliation of Billy in front of the ballet girls and the desolate look in Tanner's eyes and the manner in which he dropped his head at that moment sent a dagger into my heart. It was only a moment in time in an already powerful scene but it was an acting moment of the highest class.

Dean-Charles arrived for Expressing with gusto and in no mood for compromise and definitely not taking no for an answer. To roars of laughter and approval from the audience in no time at all he had Tanner all dressed up and ready to go and the two of them just let rip on that stage with as fine an exhibition of tap dancing you would wish to see. When the the dresses came on I did try to see if I could recognise the legs of the fall-down Dress because, whoever it is, is brilliant but no luck there.

Annabelle, as usual, gave a 5-star performance. The "kickdance" with Tracey Atkinson at the front of stage was a riot. Interestingly, in the Toilet scene she changed the script by reverting back to earlier days in the show by describing her Dad as being p....sed which we haven't heard in a long while. She also very cleverly "delayed" her lines when she climbed up as she could see that Tanner didn't quite have his Angry Dance kit fully on and ready to come out.

A powerful dust-kicking Angry Dance brought us to the interval and, with ice creams in hand in the foyer, we were all looking forward to Part 2 and, inevitably, the Barnaby/Tanner Swan Lake and Electricity.

CeeCee has perfectly described the events that followed and the feelings of disappointment at the cancellation. It was nobody's fault but my heart went out to the audience members who would have been looking forward to this day for such a long time and will now have to wait another while to see the show. I have no doubt, though, that from what they had seen, they will be back. CeeCee, I do hope you and your daughters get to see Tanner sometime very soon.

It was evident that the cast had made a hasty exit from the theatre and they gathered together at the bottom of the street some still in costume. The funniest sight of the day was Trevor walking up Allington Street in his Santa/Mrs. Thatcher costume and Craig in his Lincoln Green outfit (Jabka and NIKKIE-NIKKIE would have been very impressed). I think I saw Tall Boy still in his PJ's!!!
It was most fortunate that the torrential rain that had fallen all morning had stopped by then. I would add that the child cast were extremely well looked after and kept safe during all that went on.

The VPT staff also did a great job of the evacuation. The gentleman beside me had arrived in a wheelchair with his family. When the evacuation order was given I asked him if he needed assistance. Then, before you could say "Susan Parks", the wheelchair arrived at the row with staff ready to take him out. Excellent.

OK, now, the two Phil Snowdens. When the scare was over the cast went back in and some came out again dressed in their ordinary clothes. A few Forum members were chatting about the events of the day when Phil came out the stage door. A few minutes later he came out again. Smoke and mirrors? Maybe.

There's an old saying that "a half a loaf is better than no bread". This afternoon we got a half pan that was very tasty with a lovely crust and will have to do until next time.

I'll miss the matinee next week as I will be going on a long-awaited visit to NYC Billy. I hope another Forum member or two will manage to get to Billy next Thursday and let me know what I missed.

Pat
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

Pat,

Thank you for another wonderful review. Have a wonderful and safe trip to NYC - see ya at the Imperial on Wednesday!!! YEAH!!!

maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!

Return to “Reviews Archive”