Film: "The Prize Guys" (Name Change to "The Contest")

For off-topic content
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Film: "The Prize Guys" (Name Change to "The Contest")

Post by CJ-Rochester »

For those who may have missed last night's showing of "Contest" on the Cartoon network, the network has announced an encore performance for October 20th.

https://www.facebook.com/ContestMovie/p ... 8853191306
:/
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Guess I'll be the first to offer my thoughts (and questions) regarding the film "Contest" which was broadcast last night on the Cartoon Network. . . . .

I'd been looking forward to seeing this movie for some time, knowing that several of the BETM cast were in it and that Thommie Retter was an associate producer. Indeed, some of the highlights for me were trying to spot the Billy cast. It was fun seeing Joseph Harrington in a number of scenes. I was sorry he didn't get any lines, however (he played a mute). I only spotted Landon Harris once, and that was towards the end during the cooking contest when he made eye contact with one of the characters on stage who had just spilled something on the front of his shirt. I wonder if anyone spotted Landon's twin brother - Ashton - who had a "walk-through" in a school hallway as a student on his way to class. Of all the cast members, I thought Jake Schwenke had the best opportunity to show off his fine acting talents. His reactions to the bullying seemed very real and authentic.

As a teacher, I applaud shows like this that attempt to deal with the issue of bullying. I did feel like the film wasn't sure if it wanted to be a serious look at the consequences of bullying, or a light-hearted drama with plot twists that tried to keep its audience guessing (or confused, in my case) as to what was going to happen next. On the one hand, there was the grave seriousness of the lead character apparently contemplating suicide from a catwalk above the stage, and Jake's scene in the restroom where he suffered a brutal beating. But then the film threw in some slapstick (several scenes of people slipping and falling) and a cartoonish feel to the actual cooking contest scene.

I had the feeling that maybe the film had been fairly heavily edited to fit into the allotted time slot in the network TV schedule. For example, in Landon Harris's scene at the cooking contest, he exchanges a prolonged smile from the audience with one of the on-stage contestants after he had just spilled something on the front of his shirt. I was confused as to what that was all about. Was Landon supposed to be his brother ? Was it in reference to something that had happened earlier in the film that had been edited out ? And why was Jake Schwenke's character suffering random beatings and shovings in the hall ? Had he done something to anger the bullies ? Just before his most severe beating, he made some comment to the effect that he knew he was about to get beaten up, but there didn't seem to be anything that had happened which should have made him feel that way.

And finally, I thought the actor (Dan Flaherty) who played the lead character who kept getting bullied seemed a bit mis-cast. There didn't seem to be anything about his personality that would make him a target for the bullies on the swim team. He almost seemed too "cool" to be someone who would be a target. Perhaps an actor who appeared a bit weaker or younger or nerdier might have been a better choice.

Hopefully the movie will come out in a DVD version with a "director's cut," re-inserting any scenes that might have been edited out. It's definitely worth checking out for BETM fans, and worth supporting for the worthwhile cause that the film was made for.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I loved the movie, and was lucky enough to have seen a pre-screening of it in Tribeca this summer. As far as edits, no I don't believe there was a scene cut that told more of a story about that glance from the audience. I think it was perfect exactly as is, and was very clear in its meaning. And I couldn't recall what else might have been edited except curses.

Jake Schwencke's scene really affected me both times I saw it. He's a bullied kid who hangs with the bullies to fit in. It's an all too true, too-familiar scene actually, but not often talked about in movies as it thankfully is in this one.

As far as the comedy-to-drama ratio, I think they succeeded really well. An all-drama movie wouldn't get the kids to watch and take it seriously. Likewise, an all-comedy movie wouldn't be taken seriously enough. Instead, the writer and filmmakers accomplished an extremely important, very effective film with really great balance and strength.

I have to disagree with you about Danny Flaherty. People of all "looks" are bullied, and his character was clearly a loner who made for an "easy target" to his bullies. I think it's important to look past looks. That said, I do believe Jake Schwencke would have made for an amazing Tommy Dolen too!

My memories of school include too many of the popular kids being best buddies with the teachers, so when I was called names, bullied, bruised, and abused, I didn't feel I could tell my teachers anything. They all seemed enthralled and delighted with the A-type personalities around me as I stayed shy, quiet, and reserved. Those who know me know I've moved past this and then some, but in school, it was really rough. Teachers need to stop thinking they know who the bully is and who the bullied ones are. It's a much bigger picture than any freeze-frame look will describe, and Contest goes into this issue with incredible depth, honesty, and perception of the epidemic.

I give the move a solid A!

I'm really looking forward to the DVD, and I think the curses (there weren't that many) did help the movie, and is one of the unfortunate cuts when Cartoon Network picked it up for national TV. So the DVD should have that, as well as some fun extras and deleted scenes. Fingers crossed! :D

Sean

Return to “General Chat”