Newsies

Chat about other shows here
angelenroute
Billy

Re: Newsies

Post by angelenroute »

I saw Newsies again last night, my third time now. Gosh, seeing a show that many times? I must be crazy!!!!!!! ;)

MAJOR shout-outs to former Billys Hogan Fulton and Giuseppe Bausilio who are both INCREDIBLE in this show! I heard a man nearby remark at Intermission how he liked Billy Elliot more. I wanted to point out that the show he was watching boasted not one but two former Billys, but the opportunity passed before I had the chance. It's clear from their Hogan's and Giuseppe's performances though that 1) Billy served them very well but 2) They have graduated and then some!

You simply MUST see their performances. They both rock!!!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Newsies will launch a national tour for the 2014-15 season:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/NE ... r-20131113
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

I was in New York this weekend and had the pleasure of seeing "Newsies" on Saturday afternoon. I had seen it a year and a half ago and found it thoroughly enjoyable once again. I'd say I even enjoyed it more the second time, due to the presence of the two former Billys (as mentioned in Sean's review above). "Newsies" seems like a perfect show for them, as I would argue that if they fill each ensuing cast opening with a former Billy, then they certainly can't go wrong !

As Sean also mentioned, both Giuseppe and Hogan were excellent. Hogan had an opportunity to show off his superb ballet skills at one point, doing a series of pirouettes at center stage which drew a huge round of applause from the audience. It was fun spotting him playing a variety of roles, besides just his main newsie character. Giuseppe displayed the same intensity and enthusiasm that characterized his time as Billy, as he looked to clearly be having a ball up on stage. He also had a scene where he played a different character (wearing a mustache, no less !). His featured moment was at the beginning of the song "King of New York," as he had quite a bit of dialogue to kick off that number, as well as singing the song's opening lines.

Based on the enthusiastic audience and the big crowd waiting at the stage door afterwards, I would say that "Newsies" will be around for quite awhile. I'm glad to see the show's success after what was initially supposed to be a short run, as I remember. A very entertaining and feel-good show, and highly recommended for anyone who hasn't seen it.
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

One of the challenges for those who have never seen Hogan Fulton in Billy Elliot is picking him out of the Newsies ensemble since his character (Darcy) doesn't show up until late in the second act. After finally figuring it out this past Sunday, I jotted some notes that I hope will be helpful for those in such a situation. As other authors have pointed out and I wholeheartedly concur, it is a treat to pay special attention to Hogan through the performance. (Btw, these notes are from memory and although my recall is pretty good, it is far from infallible, so I invite anyone who can make a correction to please speak up)

In a very early scene, Kara Lindsay will walk across the stage and Jack Kelly (I think) will attempt to sell her a paper. She is not yet identified as Katherine, although is in one of Katherine's costumes, I believe. Hogan is the guy who accompanies Kara. Here too, I believe he is wearing the same costume, including glasses, that he will when he appears as Darcy, but he is not named at this point. Get a good look at that mug and then envision him without glasses and trading Darcy's (bowler?) hat for a Newsy cap. And then watch for the surefooted moves that belie an ex-Billy. ;)

Besides the pirouettes that Todd mentioned, one other signature move Hogan has is standing on one leg and raising his other foot above his head. I'm sure there's a name for this, but such is my illiteracy with the language of Terpsichore.
michaelJ
Tall Boy

Post by michaelJ »

"standing on one leg and raising his other foot above his head"

That's a called a tilt!

;)
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Actually, I think it's called an extension. 8-)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
michaelJ
Tall Boy

Post by michaelJ »

Extension is more of a generic term describing the ability of a dancer to extend the leg out and upwards. You can do an extension and not have your leg pointing straight up. Tilting is a contemporary term. Ask any young dancer if they can tilt and they will know exactly what you mean.

:)
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

atreyu wrote: I'm sure there's a name for this, but such is my illiteracy with the language of Terpsichore.
Don't feel bad. I've never even heard of the word "Terpsichore," much less know the language of it ! (or is Terpsichore the name of a country somewhere in the Middle East ? :lol: )
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Good one, Todd! :lol:

Okay, so I found this tutorial about leg grabs and tilts. They don't get to the tilt until the end. The other moves discussed beforehand are apparently just called leg grabs, at least in this video, anyway. Not having seen what Hogan does, I now would like to hear from those of you who have seen him, so I know whether he does a simple leg grab (not that it's simple, but you know what I mean) or a tilt, which is also called an oversplit in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wljX8W6r-vA
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Katwoman
Small Boy

Post by Katwoman »

Todd: in reply to your question about Terpsichore, she was one of the nine Greek Muses, representing the art form of dance.

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”