Billy Elliot The Musical: The Movie

Is the Music live? Where are auditons held?
rob_hanson1979
George

Re: Billy Elliot The Musical: The Movie

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

While I can't say for sure that I believe a movie version would match the beauty and intensity that the stage offers, I am fairly confident that it would still be a great movie.
Certain aspects always work better on stage than on film, and vice versa. I have heard the puppetry of War Horse brings the play to life, and I am not sure that the actually horse can bring that same magic to life when the film is released.
Certain things would have to change. Its just the way it works. I was upset that there was no dancing penguins in the Mary Poppins musical. But.... thats life. It was a great show. I think much like when you hear about people debating Harry Potter or Twilight in the whole book vs film argument, the same will hold true for film vs stage. For me, I just try and sit back and enjoy!

Would be a dream come true to have a cameo in the film though!!!
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

I have no qualms about this idea, as long as they took their time about perfecting it. So far we have a great movie and great musical. No need to rush something else to market unless they can do the story justice once again.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

There is more than one way to do this. They could re-make the film in a musical way, filming on location, but with singing and dancing added, much like the film version of Momma Mia!. Or they could film the stage show, much like Memphis: Direct from Broadway. Either way, I'm sure they will take their time to ensure that they get excellent results.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

They could do it similar to how they did Chicago, where they almost filmed the stage version on a soundstage. It would seperate it from the original movie in appearance.
Regardless though, Stephen Daldry created an amazing film and then an amazing stage show, so I have faith that he could adapt the musical for film.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Every time this thread is revisited after a while and I get an email alert about it, I secretly hope there will be new information about a movie to be. =)

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

haha sorry, not yet!

Return to “Information/Questions about BETM”