July 2011 Reviews - NYC

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: July 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Todd wrote: This makes me wonder if it's up to the family whether an announcement is made or not . . .since some Billys receive a pre-show announcement, and others don't.
Jacob's mom told some of us after the matinee that she doubted there would be an announcement about his leaving. She kind of shook her head, indicating that such things are not up to the family. She didn't seem to know who makes these decisions.
:/
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

ERinVA wrote:It's true that I haven't seen the NY show since early March, so my comment above may be irrelevant by now, but what I did see at that time was shameless "mugging" by both Posh Dad and Clipboard Lady to the point of being caricaturish. .
Your comment is still spot on, ERinVA. This is the one point in the play where I want to close my eyes and ears and pretend I'm elsewhere. :cry:
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

tyty wrote:It seems like a slap in the face that the resident director came on stage to fawn over Guiseppe.....
Much of what you are saying in your post is spot on, but I sincerely hope that neither Giuseppe nor his mother read the part I quoted above. They could easily misinterpret what you were saying.
Moving on to the second act--------- Also, maybe I'm crazy, but I seemed to notice a lot of small changes to some scenes/dialoge compared to how I remember them 1-2 months. Not major changes, but subtle things, like cutting out a few words or lines or trimming scenes slightly. Does anyone know anything about this? Oh, and was any of the Finale choreography different?
The company is always making small changes like you describe. The point being to tighten up, or improve scenes. As for the Finale, I might have missed something, but it seemed the same as always on Sunday night.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

johnnyc wrote:
tyty wrote:
Oh, and was any of the Finale choreography different?
The company is always making small changes like you describe. The point being to tighten up, or improve scenes. As for the Finale, I might have missed something, but it seemed the same as always on Sunday night.
I thought something was different about the finale on Sunday night also. At the two previous performances the finale seemed to be what it always is. Sunday night it seemed like near the end, there was more energy. This was just before they sing the final verse. Either they were jumping higher or moving their arms differently. It happened so fast I couldn't really pin it down. Did anyone else notice this, or are tyty and I crazy? :?
:/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Is it the version that originated with the tour? I can't remember either... But I think it's time we got back to reviews. 8-)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

CJ-Rochester wrote:
Todd wrote: This makes me wonder if it's up to the family whether an announcement is made or not . . .since some Billys receive a pre-show announcement, and others don't.
Jacob's mom told some of us after the matinee that she doubted there would be an announcement about his leaving. She kind of shook her head, indicating that such things are not up to the family. She didn't seem to know who makes these decisions.
Having read this, I would then have to agree that it's a real shame some announcement wasn't made before the show about it being Jacob's last performance as Billy. If you're going to do it for one, then I think you should do it for all of them . . .unless the family specifically says they don't want any special attention called to it.

It did kind of seem like Greg Jbara's speech at the end of the show was a way of saying, "Well, if nobody else is going to recognize these two performers, then I will." That's one of the many things I admire about Greg . .. that he tries to make sure everyone is given credit where credit is due. I'll always remember him going out of his way to mention Tommy Batchelor, Tanner Pflueger, and Frank Dolce in his Tony Award acceptance speech.

Anyway, back to reviews, I'm glad I got to see Jacob in his 2nd-to-last performance on June 26, since it turned out to be the only time I got to see his Angry Dance. One of the things he did that I wish all the Billys would do is when he slides to the front of the stage and picks up the wooden blocks, he then really rears back and fires the blocks at the police shields. I've noticed some of the other Billys just toss or fling the blocks at the shields. Since Billy is supposed to be angry, it would make sense that he should throw the blocks angrily - or hard - like Jacob did. Kind of a picky detail, I admit, but just one of the things about Jacob's performance of this number that made it special.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

My review of Giuseppe's first Broadway show was more impressionistic than I usually write, and not a recounting of different bits in the show. That's fine of course, but I need to also add my thoughts on the amazingly perfect and beautiful performance by Laura Marie Duncan in the role of Mrs. Wilkinson. Like Ben Cook, Laura Marie Duncan is one of these tried and true actors in the show who make up the backbone of every performance, and like Ben, even though she has a larger role as Dead Mum, she can easily take over a more prominent role with flying colors. And that's exactly what I saw her do in the matinee performance this past Sunday. Her pronunciation of lines was perfect, and the audience understood everything she said and laughed hard at a great many lines that often get missed. She was just awesome!!!

At stage door, she came out and people immediately (despite no red-haired wig) recognized her and asked her for her autograph, which she was very touched by and happy to give. At one point a few minutes later, someone behind me was saying they had no pen or marker for the autographs they wanted to get. I said, "Oh no problem, when Giuseppe comes out you can borrow my Sharpie." "Can I just use it quick now to sign her program?" I turned and saw Laura there with a big smile and happily offered her the Sharpie. "You were so great!" I told her, and she was again very flattered and grateful.

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I had the good fortune to see her as Mrs. Wilkinson a couple of times in March. I thought she was wonderful.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

Todd wrote:Having read this, I would then have to agree that it's a real shame some announcement wasn't made before the show about it being Jacob's last performance as Billy. If you're going to do it for one, then I think you should do it for all of them . . .unless the family specifically says they don't want any special attention called to it.

It did kind of seem like Greg Jbara's speech at the end of the show was a way of saying, "Well, if nobody else is going to recognize these two performers, then I will." That's one of the many things I admire about Greg . .. that he tries to make sure everyone is given credit where credit is due. I'll always remember him going out of his way to mention Tommy Batchelor, Tanner Pflueger, and Frank Dolce in his Tony Award acceptance speech.
Well said on both points. Could not agree more. Regarding Greg giving credit where it is due, we can add the recap here how Greg interrupted the standing ovation for the cast, had Jacob and Holly step forward, then acknowledged their families by having the rest of the audience sit while they remained standing. Not sure how many people actually got to see the families, but that was a nice gesture too.
Todd wrote:Anyway, back to reviews, I'm glad I got to see Jacob in his 2nd-to-last performance on June 26, since it turned out to be the only time I got to see his Angry Dance. One of the things he did that I wish all the Billys would do is when he slides to the front of the stage and picks up the wooden blocks, he then really rears back and fires the blocks at the police shields. I've noticed some of the other Billys just toss or fling the blocks at the shields. Since Billy is supposed to be angry, it would make sense that he should throw the blocks angrily - or hard - like Jacob did. Kind of a picky detail, I admit, but just one of the things about Jacob's performance of this number that made it special.
Seemed to me that Alex, too, threw the blocks as hard as anyone, but yeah, it's not a common thing.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Here's an interesting review from the tripadvisor site:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... _York.html
Ellen

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”