Angry Dance - Foxy Lady

angelenroute
Billy

Angry Dance - Foxy Lady

Post by angelenroute »

My partner Andy, who has seen the show once with me in London and once with me in New York, picked up this similarity and just had to have me listen. So to appease him--and also see what you all think lol--I ask you to do the following.

Cue this to about the 9 second mark (or just wait til it starts):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnkYatAT7NE

And simultaneously and/or consecutively listen to this starting at 30 seconds in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKZUzVLqBTY

Hear a similarity? Thoughts? =)
Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
gpcolo
George

Re: Angry Dance - Foxy Lady

Post by gpcolo »

Interesting... I found a few of the chords similar but to me the sound was definitely two different songs.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

gpcolo wrote:Interesting... I found a few of the chords similar but to me the sound was definitely two different songs.
oh clearly... just that chord/riff tho
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Yes, the chord riff is very similar.

The fact of the matter is that if you listen to the OCR, you can hear all kinds of musical "homages." There's the Hallelujah Chorus at the end of Solidarity, the circus calliope theme in Shine, and also the Chorus Line reference in that number as well. On the old forum, we actually had a discussion going about this. I can't remember any more references at the moment, but I'm sure people can find some more.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

ERinVA wrote: the circus calliope theme in Shine
Interesting. What part of the song did you hear it ? I'll have to go back and listen to it again to try and pick that up.

Another similarity to another song is at the beginning of the chorus to "Express Yourself" . . . ."what the hell's wrong with expressing yourself, being who you want to be. . . . " When I first heard that, I thought, "That's 'Sweet Painted Lady' from the Elton John album 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.' " . . . .the part that goes, "Sweet painted lady, seems it's always been the same. . . ." At least the chord progression is the same, not the melody so much.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

ERinVA wrote: The fact of the matter is that if you listen to the OCR, you can hear all kinds of musical "homages." There's the Hallelujah Chorus at the end of Solidarity, the circus calliope theme in Shine, and also the Chorus Line reference in that number as well. On the old forum, we actually had a discussion going about this. I can't remember any more references at the moment, but I'm sure people can find some more.
As a writer, I'm often conscious of the fact that so much of what I've read in the past may show up in my writing unintentionally, so I'm sure the same happens in music. It isn't stealing, it's just...reinventing. =) My favorite example of this lately is The Book Of Mormon soundtrack. I hear little bits from Wicked, The Lion King, RENT and The Producers, and I'm sure there are several more. Although in that case it feels like a direct pickup of a few notes just for fun, to both entice audiences with great notes and also have us guessing where they were pulled from. I love it!

Sean
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I am reasonably sure that the various "references" in the score of BETM are intentional.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Non-BETM Archive”