What movies did you see recently?

For off-topic content
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: What movies did you see recently?

Post by kport »

I saw 1917 today. One word: unmissable. Here are Dean-Charles Chapman's observations, having seen the rough cut:
Sam [Mendes] showed me and George a rough cut, which still needed the score and a few tweaks but was basically edited into that one shot. Even though I knew the ins and outs of it completely, it still got me emotional. There are a lot of upsetting moments in the film and it's a lot to take in. I didn't quite understand the effect it would have watching it. You’re there. There's no rest. Two hours, real time, in a warzone.
cheltonian
Small Boy

Re: What movies did you see recently?

Post by cheltonian »

In the last few days I've watched 2 films, 1 in the cinema and 1 at home on amazon prime, featuring one of my favourite young actors George MacKay, and both films also featuring former West End Billies in prominent roles.

Firstly, in the Cinema, 1917 with George MacKay and Dean Charles Chapman in the leading roles. I don't know quite what I feel overall about this film. In many ways there's not a lot of plot and, for me, insufficient suspense. But, having said that, the film did move me and it was noticeable that, as the credits rolled, the cinema lights were not immediately brought up and there was a deep silence and stillness in the room - nobody wanted to move.

The cinematography is incredible and its a wonderful performance as usual from George MacKay.

Then at home, How I live now, featuring a 16 year-old Tom Holland (playing 14) in a major supporting role.

A 16-year old American girl arrives in England where she is to stay with her previously unmet cousins in the countryside. At first she hates her new surroundings and makes no effort to make friends and join in activities with her cousins but gradually the older cousin, Eddie (George MacKay), draws her into the group and they fall in love. However, at this war breaks out, a nuclear bomb explodes over London and the cousins are separated into 2 pairs, boys and girls, in their struggle for survival.

This is very much a film of two halves, the first idyllic country screens, fun and laughter, and the second unrelentingly grim.

All of the young actors are good, the boys feature less than the girls in the second half of the film but Tom lights up every scene that he's in with real charisma.

Return to “General Chat”