Clearwater, FL

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Clearwater, FL

Post by porschesrule »

According to the Tampa Bay Times, the BETM Tour will make an unusual 3-day stop at the Ruth Eckerd Hall there in January of 2013:

http://www.tampabay.com/features/perfor ... up/1214380
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Clearwater, FL

Post by ERinVA »

Wow! Wonder if any place is going to book the show for "one night only"? We actually had "Fiddler on the Roof" in Newport News for only three nights. I was amazed at that, and I find this even more amazing. But given that they already did a substantial run in Tampa, with Clearwater being very close, maybe more than three nights would not make sense.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:Wow! Wonder if any place is going to book the show for "one night only"? We actually had "Fiddler on the Roof" in Newport News for only three nights. I was amazed at that, and I find this even more amazing. But given that they already did a substantial run in Tampa, with Clearwater being very close, maybe more than three nights would not make sense.
Interesting choice of venue. Examining the technical specs of the REH, the stage area seems limited when compared with the previous requirements of BETM when it came to the Straz. I wonder: has one of the changes to the new tour production been made to adapt the scenery to slightly smaller venues?

http://www.rutheckerdhall.com/_assets/d ... pecs_1.pdf

Having said that, this will be a sell-out. The REH is extremely popular and is surrounded by hundreds of thousands of retirees and snowbirds with money and time on their hands who support it. Clearwater is on the tourist side of Tampa Bay, and Pinellas County is the 'posh' part of Tampa Bay. I suggest you buy tickets as soon as possible for this one. I might wager a 'Romney' (that's $10,000) that these few performances will make more money than a week at the Straz did. Smart move, Networks Presentations.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Another observation that many of us familiar with the tour are aware, is that being on the tour is a brutal lifestyle now that the length of time in each city is shortened. This earns money for the tour(less empty seats) but does not allow the crew to sightsee or rest. They are paying a big price to be in showbiz.

That's why many of us are happy that the stay in Orlando was shortened. This leaves ten days off, as pointed out by ERinVA. That's a well-deserved vacation in Orlando for the kids(and adults). Perhaps instead of heading home to visit family, the whole family can have a Winter Florida vacation together.

I'm hopefull that the short stop in Clearwater next year is part of a plan for a similiar break for these hard working people next year. And maybe a similiar break in the Summer.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

accessmenj wrote:Another observation that many of us familiar with the tour are aware, is that being on the tour is a brutal lifestyle now that the length of time in each city is shortened. This earns money for the tour(less empty seats) but does not allow the crew to sightsee or rest. They are paying a big price to be in showbiz.

That's why many of us are happy that the stay in Orlando was shortened. This leaves ten days off, as pointed out by ERinVA. That's a well-deserved vacation in Orlando for the kids(and adults). Perhaps instead of heading home to visit family, the whole family can have a Winter Florida vacation together.

I'm hopefull that the short stop in Clearwater next year is part of a plan for a similiar break for these hard working people next year. And maybe a similiar break in the Summer.
The date of the break after Orlando ties in with February school spring break that exists in much of the country. I hope these kids and the cast can go home and have a break!
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

If I lived in Michigan, Minnesota or Ontario, I would not be looking to return home in February. California----maybe. Either way, they all have worked so hard that they deserve whatever they want.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Just a heads up that the Tour will be at Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater Fl, for just three performances - January 29th/30th. Each is preceded by an optional buffet ($20/two hours before each performance). My guess is that these will sell out almost immediately.

These performances ARE NOT listed on the Tour website.

Single tickets on sale at noon:
Circle of Stars Sept 17
Producers Sept 18
Troupers/Thespians Sept 19
Players Sept 20
Performers/Prompters Sept 21
Public Sale Oct 1

Tickets $50 - $70

727-791-7400

http://www.rutheckerdhall.com/tickets-a ... loc=header
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

kport wrote:These performances ARE NOT listed on the Tour website.
That makes it one of many tour stops not listed on the tour website.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

porschesrule wrote:
kport wrote:These performances ARE NOT listed on the Tour website.
That makes it one of many tour stops not listed on the tour website.
Then it is up to us to promote these 'phantom' performances.

I wonder..did the REH 'buy' three performances from the Tour, just as a wealthy man could 'buy' the Vienna Boys Choir to sing at a wedding?
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

It's going to be an interesting, and it would seem very hectic, "split" week. Tuesday and Wednesday in Clearwater and then Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Richmond, Virginia. It's the first time the tour has done this.

Seems very intense to set up for two days in one state and then for three days in another, non-contiguous state 800 miles apart. It makes one wonder if there's more than one set in use now going forward. If so, it would make sense to use one in Richmond, Birmingham and Greenville and keep the second one in Florida after Clearwater for the Naples, Jacksonville and West Palm Beach stops. After Greenville, the second set could be shipped to Peoria and then used for the western Canadian stops and the California and Las Vegas stops, while the set in Florida stays in the east.

I have no inside knowledge that this is the case, just a theory that makes sense...

Return to “Billy Elliot the Musical - N. Amer./Int'l Tour”