Post by porschesrule »

Here's a review of Pitman Painters from mycentraljersey.com:

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/ ... or-Pitmen-
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Re: Pitmen Painters to Broadway

Post by Billy Whiz »

CJ-Rochester wrote:Did anyone else notice this play also has a Susan Parks character? I wonder if this Susan is as spastic as the one in BETM? :lol:
I actually told Tessa that Susan Parks appears in The Pitman Painters and not only that but she appears nude. Tessa thought it was hilarious.

I went to see The Pitman Painters when I was in New York recently and really enjoyed it.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
HugsY2k
Tall Boy

Post by HugsY2k »

Billy Whiz wrote: I went to see The Pitman Painters when I was in New York recently and really enjoyed it.
:P The best part was your date, wasn't it? :P
Broadway/London/US Tour, including Canada
Performances Attended: a number between 150-200 :)
Billys: 32
Michaels: 20

last update: June 2013
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Last night I saw The Pitmen Painters, sandwiched in the middle of my latest Billython. I guess you could call it a Lee Hall-a-thon. :lol:

This is a very good play, with brilliant writing, and a great set of interesting characters. That it is based on a true story is all the more amazing. Some of the lingo will be very familiar to BETM audiences, including the following phrases that I noted: "driving me mental", "it's for the ben", "it'll be rubbish", "grow leeks or raise whippets".

There are some scenes where the art teacher is explaining to the miners how painting is a journey of self-discovery, and "it's about you". This is the same message (only about dance) that Mrs. W. is trying to teach Billy during the Letter and Born to Boogie scenes.

All of the performances are good. I was especially impressed with Christopher Connel, in the role of Oliver, who is the miner with the most artistic promise. His is a complex character and the acting was top notch!

At times the play gets to be too talky and drags down. I think about 10 minutes should be cut from each act to tighten it up. Although the story takes place in 1930's England, it makes some social commentary that could easily apply to today's economic situation in the US.

One scene in act II has the art teacher in his studio sketching one of the miners. The easel faces the audience and we can see him actually creating the sketch. He starts with a blank page, then outlines the figure, and finally fills it in. By the end of the scene we have seen a work of art created right in front of us!

The story ends around 1947 when the mines are nationalized. The cast sings what they call their "miner's hymn" to close the show. I take it this is a traditional English song. It sounds similar enough "The Stars Look Down" that we can tell where Elton John got his inspiration for the opening of BETM. :D

The play has a limited run in NY and is scheduled to close Dec 12. I highly recommend that people see it while they have the chance.
:/
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Today is the last performance of Pitmen Painters on Broadway.

I thoroughly enjoyed it when I saw it in October. It was also nice to bump into Trevor Fox and Craig Gallivan outside.

Break a leg for today everybody.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”