Los Angeles Reviews

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Los Angeles Reviews

Post by porschesrule »

A place for reviews from the Tour stop in Los Angeles.
cglaid
Small Boy

Re: Los Angeles Reviews

Post by cglaid »

Guess I'll be the first. Here are a few thoughts from tonight.

I saw this tour in SF with Kylend as Billy. He's the only tour Billy I've seen. He was on again tonight. I was not disappointed in the slightest to see his name on the board. Plus, Jacob was on as Michael. I had seen Griffin the last time.

Jacob is a riot. A born performer. A true talent. And an all-around wonderful Michael. He had the crowd roaring with laughter. He is so cheeky. And such a natural. Absolutely delightful. Can't use enough adjectives. Hard to believe he didn't know how to dance before the show. He looks completely at ease. And so confident. So happy to have seen him.

Kylend is better than ever. His Letter was sung beautifully. Take Me Up too. They changed the key and the pacing in Deep Into the Ground. He had great chemistry with the entire cast. His dancing is top-notch. I don't think he had a one-handed cartwheel off the chair in the beginning when I saw him in SF. Some of his choreography was sped up too, adding more complexity to the routine. Kylend plays Billy beautifully.

Leah Hocking is great as Mrs. W. Her singing voice is crisp and wonderful. And she had a great rapport with Kylend.

The ballet girls were hilarious. I think I recognized all of them from the previous run, but maybe there were less of them? I might be wrong, but there seemed to be fewer BG's. Samantha Cutler was great as Debbie. Very sassy. Great delivery.

Dead Mum seemed to strain a bit on the higher notes. She was just okay.

And Rich as Jackie was all-around well developed. He seems very at ease in the role and plays it quite nicely. Lots of emotions, and a great range. I enjoyed him. The guy playing Tony just seemed far too old for the part. Almost as if he rivaled Rich's age. Was a bit weird.

All-in-all, the tour is in great shape. I didn't find the scaled down aspects distracting or disappointing. It ran smoothly and was a wonderful night at the Pantages. They truly did start at 8 pm on the dot. Was impressed. Lots of latecomers which was annoying. Looked like a pretty full crowd too.

Fun fact: sitting three rows behind me, none other than Tessa Netting. :D

Edited to add: Jeremy Zorek is just adorable!
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks for the great review, cglaid.
cglaid wrote:All-in-all, the tour is in great shape. I didn't find the scaled down aspects distracting or disappointing. It ran smoothly and was a wonderful night at the Pantages.
I was just reading an interview by Rich Hebert. In responding to a question about the show being scaled down from the Broadway version he says:

"When Stephen Daldry, who directed the 2000 film, came and saw this scaled down production, he said 'This is the way it was supposed to be. This is the best production of the show I've seen.' You see the community on stage because we're moving things around ourselves. It creates much more of a community effect, which is what the show is really all about."
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Nice review cglaid. :D
cglaid wrote: Fun fact: sitting three rows behind me, none other than Tessa Netting. :D
Last night Tessa tweeted from the theater:
@tessanetting
WE GOT IN! FINALLY seeing Billy Elliot with @kevinkevink after getting detained at the Rose and Crown...

KYLEND is on for BILLY. MY GORGEOUS. I remember when he was on as Tall Boy and we were screaming Harry Potter spells during Pit Gates
:/
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for the great review cglaid.

I must try and catch the tour next time I get to the other side of the pond :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

The blog "Los Angeles Travel" has a positive review of the Tour's stop in LA:

http://golosangeles.about.com/b/2012/04 ... um=twitter
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

A brief, but positive review from the blog "lapicturesque":

http://lapicturesque.wordpress.com/2012 ... s-theatre/
inspired
Tall Boy

Post by inspired »

cglaid wrote:The guy playing Tony just seemed far too old for the part. Almost as if he rivaled Rich's age. Was a bit weird.
In a recent radio interview with Rich and Cullen posted on this forum (NPR? sorry, I can't remember which) Cullen said he was in his early 40s, I believe.
28 shows, 17 Billys, 11 cities
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

inspired wrote:
cglaid wrote:The guy playing Tony just seemed far too old for the part. Almost as if he rivaled Rich's age. Was a bit weird.
In a recent radio interview with Rich and Cullen posted on this forum (NPR? sorry, I can't remember which) Cullen said he was in his early 40s, I believe.
That's about the age I thought he looked to be when I saw him in St. Louis. With my suspicions now confirmed, it makes you wonder why he was cast for the part. There are plenty of age-appropriate actors out there who could have played the role of Tony more convincingly, in my opinion.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Will Chase in the Broadway show was also well beyond the age for Tony, but I thought he was good anyway. I haven't seen Cullen in the role, so I will reserve judgment until I see him if he is still with the tour when it comes to Richmond next year.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”