May 2009 - UK Reviews

bubsycm
Debbie

Re: May 2009

Post by bubsycm »

chocchipcookie26 wrote:K 11.. our group had K 1-12 .. K11 isn't bad but i much prefer very close to aisle seats..a head was in the way at some points :P

That's the closest i've been to the front so can't wait for Row C!
Row A..think i'd find it a little too far forward!
x
Yeah, the first couple of times I saw it I was quite far away. The third time I was in Row C and I actually felt a bit too close. I then went onto Row E near the aisle which I really liked. But now I tend to always have Row B. Which is amazing. It's funny how tastes change! I don't like being further away now! To be able to notice every little detail that is put into a performance is brilliant. You'll love being near! Report back after the performance :)
SaveTheChickens wrote:On may 25th I went to see Billy Elliot The Musical (BETM) for my second time. I had this gut feeling that the person playing Billy would be Fox and I was surprised to see I was right :mrgreen:. I was sitting there amazed through the whole performance. He had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up and they never went down, even at the interval :P. I thought the most funniest bit was when he had finished doing electricity, which I must say was fantastic with the back flip, us audience wouldn't stop clapping, as you do, and he looked at us and just started to laugh, which then of course made us lot just clap that much more, so after about 5 minutes of clapping :P, he could finally finish. After seeing his performance it just made me 1000000000000000x more in love with BETM and it sure won't be my last performance I see. I no I've only seen the show twice, but I live quite a bit away and my family aren't in love with it as much as I am, but i'm hoping to go up myself soon, but yeh back to the performance... wow Fox is a fantastic Billy and sure thing that performance along with Josh's will stay with me forever. I also never seem to get the chance to go to the stage door and get some shots of the Billy's which really makes me sad :(, but i'll try and make it my mission next time.

All in all I loved the show and I just love Fox! Good Work!
Glad you enjoyed it- Fox is a special kid :D
Charlotte x
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Re: May 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by johnnyc »

Observations on performance of 27 May (Wednesday)

This was my first time seeing Dean as Michael. It took me a while to warm up to his style, but then I really liked his Michael. And as for Brad as Billy...that little scamp brought tears to my eyes! Twice. During the letter, and then when Billy said goodbye to Mrs Wilkenson. That's the first time I have gotten really emotional in a long time. This was not a stand up audience, but there was still enthusiastic applause for Brad's Electricity, which made his smile wider and wider. :) As for everyone else, they appeared to be doing what they are paid to do, and doing it well. :lol:

So now it's time for me to head for the VPT and the Thursday matinee. :D Someone else can do a proper review of the Wednesday show.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

but there was still enthusiastic applause for Dean's Electricity,
I would have stood for that!

Think you meant Brad's, didn't you? 8-)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
SatinandLace
Tall Boy

Post by SatinandLace »

johnnyc wrote:This was not a stand up audience, but there was still enthusiastic applause for Dean's Electricity
Wow, I must get back to the London show...when did they Michaels start performing Electricity? :P
~Lauren~
8xTrent 3xSam 3xLayton 2xJosh F. 4xCorey
1xFox 1xHogan 2xScott 1xRhys
4xDavid 4xKiril 1xTanner
2xCesar 1xTommy 1xJ.P.
2xDaniel 2xLex 2xGuiseppe
1xKylend 1xKaine 1xJosh B.
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

Wednesday 27th May
Billy - Brad
Michael - Dean
Debbie - Annabelle

My 5th show :)

After writing a really long review.. i'm not going to do another for Wednesday's performance...but i'll make some points

Brad doesn't seem to have grown much.. but i suppose he is still tall next to Fox.. but he looked pretty tiny to me :)
The Small Boy (Thomas Sharps... i think...) was absolutely tiny, smallest i've seen yet i think :) He was brilliant :)
I reallly like Phil Snowden as Dad, i think he's brilliant...so emotional in He Could Be A Star and brilliant throughout. I haven't seen Joe Caffrey yet..but not too bothered..i think 'cos he played Tony originally he seems a bit young.. but i must see him sometime!
Romy was Grandma.. she's good, but i wont lie..Ann Emery is just a star and it's always a relief to see her on the stage
Craig is a brilliant Tony! Looks perfect for it and is a really good actor. The only thing that worries me about the part is.. how do the actor's not ruin their voice speaking it?!
Dean-Charles is a little star. I love him as Michael.. he's nice and over-the-top (in the best possible way =]).. lovely singing voice and great actor
Annabelle is a brilliant Debbie..great little actor :)
We had Gillian as Mrs Wilkinson.. i must say i really enjoyed her playing the role.. good singer and i think she plays it less.. can't think of a word...harshly? than Kate.. although i love her interpretation too! I did miss Gillian as the Audition Women though!
The Letter was the most emotional i've seen to date. Brad was fantastic, such good acting..
Back to Sean Kingsley as Mr.Braithwaite. I think he's fantatsic.. but i do slightly prefer the understudy..sorry! Although they are both brilliant, there isn't much in it.. i just prefer bigger guys in the role, so that's a sort of compliment :P
Angry Dance.. Oh.My.Gosh.. most angry i've seen.. i was scared..really scared. Brad was amazing, it was so powerful and i was shaking like a leaf.. amazing stuff.

My withdrawal symptoms today are huge..so huge that i cried listening to Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher on my iPod.. ashamed!
There was someone with a Manu shirt on in A10.. and George said 'You don't get that in the bloody European Cup Final!'.. 'Do you want to know the score? 4-2 to Manu...nah only joking..Manu are losing 2-0'
I found this absolutely hilarious as a Liverpool fan! Not sure the A10 occupant did though :P

Deep into the Ground was lovely.. Brad is still going up the octave and sounds wonderfully sweet. The Winter Scene was hilarious.. i really love Dean.. but also very moving when it needed to be...he had to stretch quite a bit to reach Brad!
Swan Lake was with Shaun as Older Billy again. It was magical but i think there was a slight fault, only minuscule in the 2nd half.. apart from that...stunning
He Could Be A Star was again.. very emotional.. love Craig and Phil together
The Audition Scene was very funny..especially the Pencil bit.. found it particularly hilarious today! The audience gasped when Brad hit Posh Boy's head against the curtain.. it was a big thump.. what is the material of that?! (Not sure who Posh Boy/Tall Boy was :()
And Electricity.. stunning. Brad's dancing is fabulous.. and being the only Ballet Billy at the moment.. it was nice to see 1 Street (Fox) and 1 Ballet. The audience werne't particularly loud yesterday but we all loved Electricity and Brad's smile was huge :)
Once We Were Kings, Goodbye to Mrs Wilkinson and The Letter Reprise were all so emotional.. Brad is a truly brilliant actor and made me cry a lot.. they were fantastic
And the Finale.. Ohh.. Brad is fantastic in it...his facial expressions are just hilarious..just brilliant :) All around me i could hear 'What a show' and to my delight my Dad said it was the 'Best show he'd ever seen, ever'...seconded!

I didn't manage to get any autographs this time as they are all herded quickly into the bus..which is a great shame. I asked Brad but he very apologetically said that they werne't allowed..he was very nice though. I saw Tom too..he's tiny! I think Fox is taller than him now but not sure! So small :)

Another great show..but now i'm home and very sad..can't wait for my next visit.. hopefully in the summer

Oh dear.. turns out it wasn't just a few points and i've just done another...quite long review :P

x
scottyboy
Small Boy

Post by scottyboy »

Another great review keep them coming :D
Sam x4 Hogan x2 Fox x12 Layton x2 Brad x6 Tanner x3 Tom x9 Ollie x7 Dean x5 Rhys x2
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Just a few words about the need to bring on a backup Billy at today's (Thursday) matinee. At the beginning of the scene leading up to Angry Dance, we saw that Tom Holland was having a slight nose bleed. Several times while Mrs Wilkenson was arguing with Billy's family, Tom ran off the stage to have the problem looked at, but it persisted. He did return to be put up on the table. Those of us in stalls B19 and 20 could see the stage manager motioning for Tom to quit, but he mouthed that he was OK. Apparently she thought otherwise, so she came out and stopped the show, saying there was a problem and it would resume shortly. After about five minutes the stage manager came out again and told the audience that Tom would be replaced in Act 2 by Fox and the interval would begin immediately. So there was no Angry Dance at this performance.

We were all disappointed, of course, but the decision was made in Tom's best interest. I'm certain the nose bleed was minor, but it had to be tended to properly. It's just a shame Tom should have such bad luck again so soon after his fall at the end of Electricity during an earlier performance. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we wish Tom the best and hope to see him back in action for his next scheduled performance.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

SatinandLace wrote:
johnnyc wrote:This was not a stand up audience, but there was still enthusiastic applause for Dean's Electricity
Wow, I must get back to the London show...when did they Michaels start performing Electricity? :P
hHey, Dean's a very versatile young man. Who's to say he didn't do a splendid Electricity at this performance - while Brad took a nap. :lol: :lol: :lol:
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

scottyboy wrote:Another great review keep them coming :D
Thanks :) I wish i could keep them coming.. it would mean going to lots more shows..but not going to any more for a while :(
bubsycm
Debbie

Post by bubsycm »

chocchipcookie26 wrote:
I saw Tom too..he's tiny! I think Fox is taller than him now but not sure! So small :)
Do you think? I still think of Fox as the tiny one! :P
How did you enjoy Row C?

Haha, see, Fox or Brad is who you see!
johnnyc wrote:Just a few words about the need to bring on a backup Billy at today's (Thursday) matinee. At the beginning of the scene leading up to Angry Dance, we saw that Tom Holland was having a slight nose bleed. Several times while Mrs Wilkenson was arguing with Billy's family, Tom ran off the stage to have the problem looked at, but it persisted. He did return to be put up on the table. Those of us in stalls B19 and 20 could see the stage manager motioning for Tom to quit, but he mouthed that he was OK. Apparently she thought otherwise, so she came out and stopped the show, saying there was a problem and it would resume shortly. After about five minutes the stage manager came out again and told the audience that Tom would be replaced in Act 2 by Fox and the interval would begin immediately. So there was no Angry Dance at this performance.

We were all disappointed, of course, but the decision was made in Tom's best interest. I'm certain the nose bleed was minor, but it had to be tended to properly. It's just a shame Tom should have such bad luck again so soon after his fall at the end of Electricity during an earlier performance. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we wish Tom the best and hope to see him back in action for his next scheduled performance.
Oh, poor Tom. :(
Charlotte x

Return to “Reviews Archive”