Louisville Reviews

BEtourfan
Tony

Louisville Reviews

Post by BEtourfan »

Here's a very positive review for the show.
http://artslouisville.blogspot.com/2012 ... ecent.html
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Louisville reviews

Post by porschesrule »

This blogger generally liked the show, though was troubled by, as he puts it, the "subplots" and the portrayal of the character of Michael:

http://travismcclain.blogspot.com/2012/ ... sical.html
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

porschesrule wrote:This blogger generally liked the show, though was troubled by, as he puts it, the "subplots" and the portrayal of the character of Michael:

http://travismcclain.blogspot.com/2012/ ... sical.html
I wonder who 'Ty Forman' is? Dies he sell grills under his own name? :shock: :)

This blogger admits no previously knowledge of the story and therefore cannot place Michael's role in the context of 1984 northern England. I can understand the context, having lived through it myself, and I can understand this bloggers difficulty understanding since he/she did not. I think the musical gets it right for a stage production; it makes the role comical enough that those who do not understand the context can at least enjoy it, and poignant enough that those who can get it -do. To read too much psychology into it is not really any use. The film version is better suited for that, where Michael is in much more pain than in the musical. (In fact, when I first saw the film, I was relieved that Michael appears in the final scene, happy and having 'found himself' just as Billy had; I was afraid he would have descended into a living hell or ended it all - a feeling I never get in the musical).

It is interesting to read the reviews from different parts of America, which is less homogenous as a society than it may think it is. Yet, this musical seems to leave behind it a warm feeling in every city, which means it is a great success!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

"I was actually sad for Michael when Billy recoiled, falling back on the heteronormative/cissexual/cisgender theme"

Does this blogger sleep with a dictionary under his pillow?
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

I didn't think the blogger did a bad review to be honest - apart from mangling the concept of transvestism & transsexualism. To say he went in cold and with low expectations the show really won him over but he had questions about certain aspects of the show that were unfamiliar to him.

I honestly have no idea how the concept of men dressing as women goes down in mainstream US entertainment (I'm not talking drag queens here). In the UK, particularly from the 60's - 80's it was very common on mainstream UK tv (no pun intended) and quite often the men doing it were not gay. Men playing women just seems to make Brits laugh for some reason and of course, at Christmas, it is the mainstay of that most family friendly entertainment - the pantomime.

So the fact that Michael dresses in women's clothing may or may not be related to his sexuality but the two are not inextricably linked. The only reason it's in there is because it plays well to a British audience, which might of course be confusing to different cultures.
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

Here are some reviews from the PNC Broadway Across America Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/broadway ... 6537831541
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

This is not so much a review as a few comments that I got from the lady who works at the information desk in my hotel.

I asked her where the theatre was and she wanted to know if I was going to see Billy Elliot whilst I was in town. When I said yes, she said "Oh my god, I went to see it last night and I have never seen anything like it before in my life". She also told me that she "must" see it again before it leaves town. She thought Ty was incredible and "amazing that someone so young should have so much talent". Amen to that :)

I asked her for the reaction of the audience and she said at the end people were not just applauding - they were screaming with delight.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Friday-Saturday June 29-30:
Friday: Zach/Jacob,
Saturday matinee: Ben/Ethan,
Saturday evening: Ty/Cameron.

Three great shows in a row, with three fantastic Billys. I think this was the first time ever having three different Michaels in three consecutive shows. Sadly I must end this Billy-thon and pack for a morning flight home. Will post detailed reviews later on Sunday.
-Chris
:/
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

Though I normally don't write reviews, I wanted to post a few notes about this weekend in Louisville.

Two new Billys and a new Michael - what luck, since I planned this trip before knowing any of this would happen this weekend. I was so happy for Ben Cook - he has been so patient in waiting for this debut and he nailed it in spades. And then there's Noah, a triple threat to be sure. Ethan, the tours newest Michael, delivered a fantastic and cheeky performance. None of these three showed any first night jitters.

I also managed to see Zach for the first time. His dancing is so smooth and polished, yet very powerful - LOVED his Electricity. Cameron, Jacob and the ballet girls also did an exceptional job in their shows, My only disappointment was that I did not get to see Kylend. :cry:

As for the adult cast, well, what can you say - it's PHENOMINAL! When you travel on the road all the time, you tend to bond and their on-stage chemistry shined brightly.

I have to say this was one of the best Billythons I've had since I was introduced to the London show 7 years ago. Without a doubt, this tour is in great hands. If you've been debating whether or not to see the tour, don't hesitate any longer.

rgds,
Rich
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I second everything Rich B said! :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”