Need help, and think you guys would be the best!

Ilovetravis
Audience Member

Need help, and think you guys would be the best!

Post by Ilovetravis »

Hi everyone,

I haven't been online for ages, so you have probably all forgotten me, but I have just finished 3 years of hard slog at uni, and am in need of a bit of help!

Some of you may know, but probably don't, that I am a keen musician, and am hoping to play in west end orchestras in the future. Now I have finished uni I am hoping to concentrate more on my music, and begin playing in more theatrical environments.

I have written to most west end theatres, including Billy, to see if I could come in for a day or two, and sit and watch rehearsals/a performance in the pits to get an idea of how it works at the highest level. I haven't had a reply from anyone, not even to say no, and I presume this is because they get so many letters asking for work experience from an acting point of view, that they wouldn't read them all.

I was hoping someone on here would have an idea of someone at Billy I could speak to, or write to directly who could help me, or at least give me an answer. Perhaps one of the MDs or if someone knew one of the backstage staff? I have considered speaking to the MD in the interval/after a show, but I am conscious that they need their breaks/want to get home after!

I would really appreciate any help, please PM me if you don't want to post on here, any kind of lead would be great, and I would appreciate it so much. Hope to see you again at Billy in the future, haven't seen it since Travis left, which is a very long time!

Thanks everyone :D

PS. If you were interested in my background, I completed grade 8 piano, 4 years ago and have been working on a diploma in piano performance. I am grade 8 flute and sax, and am hoping to pass these in the next year, now that uni has finished. I have played in orchestras since I was young, including at the Royal Albert Hall, but am less drawn to playing in classical orchestras, and would prefer to work in a theatrical environment
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Need help, and think you guys would be the best!

Post by kport »

Sometimes writing to a person by name opens doors, whereas writing a 'general letter' to 'to whom it may concern' does not.

The Music Director of Billy Elliot is Chris Hatt. I am sure you can write to him directly in care of the VPT (too often, letters not addressed to an individual take a short trip to the 'circular file' in a large and busy organisation.). Keep it short and simple and point out your interest in BETM to grab attention. He may be able to give you some practical advice to advance your career, or introduce you to someone else who can. Be sure to give him your phone and email address. It will be a case of knocking politely on doors until one door opens a crack...then things will begin to happen! You may start off being a 'go-fer', but so did we all. Grab any opportunity that looks like it could lead to something. Good luck with your quest...........!
Ilovetravis
Audience Member

Re: Need help, and think you guys would be the best!

Post by Ilovetravis »

Thanks very much kport, I will try that and hopefully that door might open a bit! Will let you know if anything comes of it! :)

Return to “Non-BETM Archive”