Boston Reviews

atreyu
George

Boston Reviews

Post by atreyu »

I should be going to bed now, but just had to express a few thoughts before that happens.

If Noah was nervous in front of friends and family tonight, it certainly didn't show. A performance to be proud of, for sure. Oh, there was a stumble here and there, but three things highlight the evening for me.

What a fine singer Noah is! A delight to listen to with subtle nuances to put his mark (already) on that facet.

Absolutely nailed the jump rope; a pro already there.

Nice form in all aspects of the dancing, including an impressive Angry Dance. As this was his 6th show, it's evident Noah has a very bright future.

Just one item that we BETM veterans can sympathize with, but Noah will soon be able to look back and laugh about it. Must have been a rather sinking feeling when given the "Trackies off" instruction, to finger the waistband and . . . . hmm . . . something's not there. :o No harm, no foul, just looked a bit odd doing Expressing Yourself with the trackies and the skirt.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Boston Reviews

Post by kport »

Just got home from tonight's first show in Boston. Thought I'd pen a few lines before hitting the hay.

The show was amazing. Boston really loved it! The Opera House has fantastic acoustics - it resembles a much larger VPT. The house was at least 90% full - orchestra was sold out.

With a local boy in the lead role, the Boston audience cheered loudly as soon as Noah's name was announced. He received 90 second standing ovation after 'Electricity', and one almost as long and loud just before, and another after, the finale. I think the town of Sharon, and Noah's dance school, all turned up tonight. The audience was one of the best I have encountered at any Billy show.

I have commented in the past about the slower pace of the US show. Tonight the pace moved as snappily as I have ever witnessed at the VPT. The synergy between Rich Hebert, Cullen Titmas and Noah was perfect. Things cracked along just right.

There is not doubt that Noah is a genuine triple threat. His confidence after just...six?....shows is astounding. He is, as one would expect, an excellent dancer. His acting is very confident, showing an ease with the role that I would not have expected yet. His singing is, in a word, fantastic - Noah has filled Ty's singing vacancy extremely well.

Small Boy seemed to have a blast, and he incorporated some extras that I have not seen before. The BGs were on top form: Ethan Major did a fine job as Michael (a role for which he is not credited in his bio in Playbill); and Cameron was so understated as Tall Boy that it took a while to realize that it was, indeed, him in that role. As it should be in a supporting role. Every member of the cast seemed to be buzzing with excitement, drawn from the enthusiastic and responsive audience.

Perhaps for me the best moment was the look of pure happiness on Rich Hebert's face as he applauded the audience as the final curtain fell; he was back home in his town and in front of his audience. (The same look that was seen on Kevin Youkilis' face last week when he played in front of a Fenway crowd a week after being traded to the White Sox.) Only Boston does that to you; nothing is sweeter than coming 'home' to Beantown. Just ask Rich. Or Noah!
ActingDude17
Tall Boy

Post by ActingDude17 »

It looks like the Boston reviews are off to a great start. Thanks for sharing them with us. Tonight was the start of a lovely homecoming for Rich and Noah, to be sure.
UK/Ireland Tour
Billy: Lewis Smallman
Michael: Elliot Stiff

2nd American Tour
Billy: Giuseppe Bausilio, Michael Dameski, Ty Forhan
Michael: Griffin Birney x2, Cameron Clifford
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

It's really great to hear that the show is off to such a fantastic start in Boston, atreyu and kport. If last night's audience was any indication, New Englanders love the show and the cast responds to a good audience. Nice to hear home boys Noah and Rich were so well received and had a great time performing for a hometown audience. Now if we could just get those Red Sox to perform that well.... :(

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts and observations, atreyu and kport.
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

atreyu wrote: Just one item that we BETM veterans can sympathize with, but Noah will soon be able to look back and laugh about it. Must have been a rather sinking feeling when given the "Trackies off" instruction, to finger the waistband and . . . . hmm . . . something's not there. :o No harm, no foul, just looked a bit odd doing Expressing Yourself with the trackies and the skirt.
This is how it was done in Louisville. Michael says "Trackies off" and Billy thinks for a second then shakes his head and puts the skirt on. It was done this way due to the mics being at the bottom of the trackies. For Michael, they were in his knee-high socks.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Thanks for the early reviews atreyu and kport! It sounds like the Boston run is off to a great start. As Rich stated there are microphones sewn into Billy's blue trackies to pick up the tapping sounds. It is puzzling that they have not changed the "trackies off" line to something else, but this is how it has been since the tour reboot last fall.
:/
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Is Noah now doing the full Dream Ballet, complete with working on the wire? He didn't wear the wire in Louisville, and the only mention of him in the Madison reviews said he did not do the wire part there either.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

kport wrote:Cameron was so understated as Tall Boy that it took a while to realize that it was, indeed, him in that role. As it should be in a supporting role.
Totally agree! I'm always impressed when a Billy or Michael plays Tall Boy, as it's such a small, understated role compared to the ones they usually perform. And for some reason, this comment reminds me of the joy of clapping for Peter as Tall Boy at the last Broadway show. Ahh, memories. =)

Sean
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

johnnyc wrote:Is Noah now doing the full Dream Ballet, complete with working on the wire? He didn't wear the wire in Louisville, and the only mention of him in the Madison reviews said he did not do the wire part there either.

Would Noah NOT do it last night, at the first Boston performance? I think not! Indeed, he did the full wire sequence in Dream Ballet. (He slipped whilst jumping over his chair right at the spot where 'salt' had spilled on the stage in the breakfast scene; he recovered as though nothing had happened. (I remember seeing the salt from my seat, thinking to myself 'Wait for it....'!)) Max Baud's incomparable support for all of the Tour Billys was on full display; you could see him 'will' Noah on to success last night, as though he was looking at his young self.......
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Good to hear that Noah is doing the full routine now.

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”