Billy Elliot the Musical - The Movie???

Sinatra
Miner

Re: Billy Elliot the Musical - The Movie???

Post by Sinatra »

This would be incredible. Stephen Daldry has been pegged to do a film version of "Wicked" so nothing is set in stone for a "Billy Elliot the Musical" movie yet. After I saw the show, I thought about this same question. Something in me just didn't think it would make a good movie, but I'm sure it could be done.
"You have a life. Use it well."

Here's my expansive and illustrious Billy Elliot track-record:
Madison, WI (first-time): Noah Parets
Milwaukee, WI: Ben Cook

London: Elliott Hanna, Bradley Perret
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I'm 200% sure I want it to be done, I'm 100% sure it can be done, and I'm 50% sure it will be done. The Olympics work was the first thing I knew would get in the way, and now Wicked. But I hope and pray that Stephen remembers the joy of musical theatre once Wicked is finished, and that he sets his sights on a 2014 or 2015 BETM movie.

Just imagine the Angry Dance scene from the original movie and the musical. Imagine the stage version without the restraints, where Billy doesn't need to be wearing covers over his tap shoes in a film-edited environment, but where he can absolutely WRECK his bedroom. Imagine a riot scene like the original movie but with Billy tapping his way furiously in between police and striking miners. An outhouse? Sure. But I want that bloody thing demolished in explosive kicks by Billy. And by God I want a massive amount of expletives!

Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease let it happen. Stephen didn't think it was feasible at first as a musical. He learned he was wrong. Bringing the two mediums together at last would be the FINISHING TOUCH to a trilogy made in theatre heaven! :D

-Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Wowzell
Tall Boy

Post by Wowzell »

angelenroute wrote: Just imagine the Angry Dance scene from the original movie and the musical. Imagine the stage version without the restraints, where Billy doesn't need to be wearing covers over his tap shoes in a film-edited environment, but where he can absolutely WRECK his bedroom. Imagine a riot scene like the original movie but with Billy tapping his way furiously in between police and striking miners.
Yeh but you have to think, would those things REALLY work in a film environment? It would completely destroy the name and reputation of Billy Elliot - both the original film and the musical - if they made a tacky musical like High School Musical or Camp Rock. I don't think Billy Elliot The Musical would necessarily work as a 'stage-to-film' direct adaptation. The suspension of disbelief needed, and successfully applied, in the musical would make a film version of the same song look silly, in my opinion.

Having said that, whatever Stephen Daldry decided to do, I have every faith that he could pull it off.
London: Harris x2, Adam x1, Kaine x1.

'In everything you do, always be yourself... and you always will be true'
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Wowzell wrote:whatever Stephen Daldry decided to do, I have every faith that he could pull it off.
I truly believe he can do it. His original film is so beautiful and the musical so amazing that the two would dance together perfectly. We shall see.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I agree that it can and likely will be done, but may be a few years down the road. Billy has never been a big money maker in the US, but worldwide it has much more potential.
I kindof view this similar to Hairspray. Hairspray went from a movie to a musical to a movie. The same team was more or less involved in each incarnation. However they were careful to give each its own identity. I think the right team, lead by Stephen Daldry, could do the same with BE. A movie could go places and provide scenes that the stage simply isn't capable of. The movie shouldn't be a restaging of the musical though. They would need to adapt it back to the screen. But I definately think there is potential to do it successfully.

However given the choice of having a new movie made, or having the stage production available on bluray/dvd, I would prefer to have the stage production (with tons of extra features, haha).
Wowzell
Tall Boy

Post by Wowzell »

rob_hanson1979 wrote:Hairspray went from a movie to a musical to a movie.
That's true but the second film is essentially just a re-make of the first one, it's not like Billy Elliot where the film was actually completely transformed into a musical. Hairspray started out as one and was mildly adapted. That's where I'd see complications arising.

rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

Just my opinion of course, but I found the second Hairspray movie very different from the first. Plus the first wasn't a musical.
Wowzell
Tall Boy

Post by Wowzell »

rob_hanson1979 wrote:I found the second Hairspray movie very different from the first.
I shall have to watch them and then get back to you! You may very well be right - I've forgotten most of the two films.

rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

haha its ok! I haven't seen the first in ages either. I have the DVD though. I think there was music featured in the film, but it wasn't a musical because the characters themselves weren't singing.
Maybe I better watch it again too!
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Angry dance in the movie was already a musical piece and done already to near perfection, it by FAR showed Jamoe Bells dancing talent(I actually had a problem believing he could e a ballet dancer with the rest of the dancing scenes). I remember reading an article way back when Dauldy had been nominated for the Reader, so just after Broadway started, and it said Universal was pushing for the movie but Dauldry was reluctant to revisit it. I doubt he's anymore interested now and I'm SURE universal is WAY less likly to want it now, maybe we will get a 10th anv taped version of the musical itself.

Return to “"Billy" Around the World”