September 2012 Reviews

Reviews of the show
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: September 2012 Reviews

Post by patc »

Friday 28th September

Harrison, Connor Kelly, Macy

Un-bul-eevable. That's what it was. Un-bul-eevable. This evening's pairing of Harrison and Connor Kelly.

I've seen Connor perform umpteenth times but never better. Calling upon every ounce of energy, skill, eyes, eyebrows, facial and whatever you're having yourself this was a masterclass of Michaelship that whipped the audience into a frenzy of laughter, admiration and appreciation. We are all in for another treat tomorrow evening and it would not surprise me if we got some "extras".

Harrison - wow! At this early stage of his Billy career I've only seen him a few times but this surpassed even what I've already seen from him. It was suggested recently that Harrison may have toned down his emotional side of things a bit. Well, tonight he just went and ripped my heart out not only in The Letter and at the end scenes but right throughout. It was heartrending to watch how he interpreted an anguished Billy notably during his humiliation at Dad's hands at the end of Solidarity and in the pre-Angry Dance scene as Tony and Dad clash with Mrs. W. As for the dance itself, well, if the rent-a-mob crowd are looking for someone to scare the living daylights out of the law then they need look no further.

Electricity was an extraordinary combination of acro and dance, powerful and the wall flip was magnificently done off what looked like quite a short run-up in which he went from 0 to 60mph in less than a second. So brilliant was it that he could possibly have gone around twice. You could see by his "finishing touches" and final pose that he was very pleased. So were the audience. It will be a mouthwatering prospect to see how he develops it even further over the coming months.

A good friend of mine in the UK follows Notts County FC and he was looking forward to seeing the younger talent at the club coming through in their ongoing pursuit of Premiership status. I've told him he's not 'avin 'arrison. I've told him we've gone and nicked him for 'wor Billy. On the evidence of this evening's display of acting, singing and dancing Harrison is headed for a bigger and different stage than Meadow Lane.

Pat
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Saturday 29th September - all day.

Matinee: Harris, Jack, Millie
Evening: Kaine, Connor Kelly, Macy

Another fine day at the Palace.

Last nights have always been and always will be sad nights for us fans as we bid farewell to not only the incredible child cast who have entertained and enthralled us so brilliantly but their lovely families as well. There have been far too many last nights already this year. Offsetting these sad occasions is the great enjoyment of meeting up before the show with fans, the gathering of former Billys, Michaels and Debbies coming to support their own and, of course, the pre-show atmospherics and the entry of David Massey onstage for the preliminaries. Doing both shows on the day is a bonus because you get the "ordinary" show plus all that follows later in the evening.

Mind you there was nothing "ordinary" about the matinee. In a pulsating show, Harris flew in with his unique interpretation of Billy that had the crowd hopping out of their seats. I was in among them today and saw it happen. Not for one second does Harris come out of character. He is not distracted from it no matter how much applause is ringing in his ears. He is Billy at 2.30 and he is still Billy at 5.25. It is only then, in the Finale, that we see Harris as himself, smiling away and letting us know how much he has enjoyed the last three hours as we let him know how much we have enjoyed it, too.

Each time I see him he has pushed the envelope out a few degrees more. The intensity of his superb acting came to a head just before Angry Dance. As he stood on the table listening to the adults fighting over his future with him not even being given a voice on the matter you could see the steam pressure building up in the boiler. When Dad roared out those cruel four words "Well, your Mam's Dead" it was like a dagger being stuck in your back. All in real time you could see Harris' safety valve trying to ease the pressure, all to no avail. With three final violent and helpless gasps the boiler exploded. It was take-your-breath-away time as was the dance that followed. During the past week I had listened to the CD of the show and had marvelled again how the Angry Dance music on the CD is but a pale shadow of the actual music in the show. The real shoes tapping angrily on the real floorboards and the real sounds of batons on reinforced plastic plus the real angry screams and shouts all in unison with the real music is an experience not to be missed and, if possible, from close-up. Harris did this scene proud. His Electricity, always graceful and smooth, is getting more powerful by the week. I love watching this progression. It has always been a great part of the Billy experience. Always something to look forward to.

This marvellous matinee set us up nicely for the evening's proceedings with all eyes focussed on the red door for Connor's final entrance. As soon as he appeared a huge surge of applause and cheers followed. By the look on his face you could tell we were in for a night of it. I wrote the previous evening that I hadn't seen a better Connor show but he surpassed even that in his final appearance. In Expressing all you could do was lie back in your seat and try not to choke with laughter. The audience wanted to applaud almost every sentence. When he came to "A different man" he took a quick deep breath and gave us a prolonged version that Pavarotti himself would have been proud of except that Pav could never have given us the eyes. The brilliant Kaine threw caution to the winds and willingly joined his mate in this hilarious celebration of fun and dance. It really was too funny for words and the entire audience erupted as Connor switched off the lights. My immediate thought afterwards was, blimey, we'll never, ever get to see that again. But that's what memory is for.

Connor was at it again in the Winter scene combining comedy and pathos with consummate ease. An absolute natural.

A wonderful touch at the end of the show. When Kaine stepped forward for his bow (with everyone on their feet) he grabbed Connor and took him out front of stage for a thoroughly deserved joint thundering reception. A moment I will treasure. Thank you, Kaine.

Thank you also to Connor's family for bringing him out so quickly afterwards for photos and autographs. He looked resplendent in his formal gear as you will see when the photos come in. It was a most enjoyable session that had broad smiles on everyone's faces.

So, another legend of "Billy" has departed the scene and into folklore. He most certainly brought so much laughter and happiness into my life. I wish Connor and his lovely family all that is best in this world.

Jack and Millie in the matinee and Macy in the evening did not stand idly by and allow Harris, Kaine and Connor to take all the glory. They all contributed to 6 hours of great entertainment as did the Ballet Girls and Ashley who all did both shows with their usual enthusiasm and skills.

I was surprised that Small Boy Bobby was announced as a leaver as this hadn't been mentioned before. Apparently, he told everyone that he is leaving to become a film star.

Finally, a heap of kudos for the adult cast who, since the changeover last November have worked extremely hard to move the show onward. They have succeeded superbly and I have never enjoyed the show better than I do now. There is not a moment in the three hours that does not grab my attention. Every note in the score is a diamond of genius. Every emotion known to Man is tested to the full and I leave the theatre every single time on a high and looking forward to next time. It should be on the National Health.
Thanks to everyone involved in delivering this unique experience.

Pat
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks for your usual wonderful review Pat.

I always especially enjoy reading about first and last shows of cast members, and you've really brought this one alive for those of us who couldn't be there.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Thanks for the great review, Pat. I agree with everything you write about Connor - his Michael was always memorable and certainly one-of-a-kind. Good luck to him...and to star of the silver screen to be, Bobby!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Here are a few photos from Connor Kelly's last show on Saturday, September 29th.

Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

WOW.................................
They must be the greatest collection of photos ever posted on this Forum. Un-bul-eevable :lol:
..and what about the shot of Kaine in mid-air!!!!

Thanks and congratulations, David.

Pat
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you for the kind comments Pat.

I have finally got this camera sussed.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

Thanks for the review, Pat and thanks for the pictures, David - just brilliant!

Connor is probably my most seen London Michael and I will always remember him for how he sang the line in Express, "a different maaaaaaaan" :lol: All the best to you Connor.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

It was Connor's weekend what a great send off for him and well deserved! Smashing trio of reviews Pat, absolutely spot on! Yes, and I got to see Harrison at last, very impressed. What, a set of great photo's Dave, they are really are appreciated, I bet you are well chuffed, about the Golf also!
While at Kings Cross Station on Sunday morning, I was lucky enough to meet Reece Barrett, had a quick chat and wished him "all the best" from us all.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Billy Whiz wrote:Here are a few photos from Connor Kelly's last show on Saturday, September 29th.
Great photos, BW!!!

Return to “Reviews - London”