BBC iplayer restrictions

StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

BBC iplayer restrictions

Post by StevenKing »

Starting a new thread on this. The BBC allows free access in the UK but no where else for one reason...$$$ for rights. It's free in the UK because almost EVERYONE has a tv and pays for it. Charging for it now would invite huge screams and wouldn't bring in much but would lower numbers for people who time shift. If and when people dump tv's for computers and other screens in large numbers(I seriously doubt it) they will start charging a fee then. In the USA and other countries no WAY will they give it out for free OR even for a fee unless it does not impact $$$for rights in that country. BBCA would scream bloody murder over Dr Who and Top Gear being shown here on iplayer. Various PBS stations would scream over Downtown Abbey etc etc. so the popular stuff I don't see being allowed. Something like Deans show though I doubt would EVER be sold here(I could be wrong, local PBS stations MIGHT pick it up for kids). That lesser content is the stuff I miss and NEVER makes its way here. Maybe they could just block out shows that are showen here(a nightmare Concidering how many tv stations we have in the USA).
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: BBC iplayer restrictions

Post by StevenKing »

Is pay services like Hulu plus avalible in UK?
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

StevenKing wrote:Is pay services like Hulu plus avalible in UK?
No. I have Hulu Plus but cannot access it from the UK.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for starting this thread, Steven. As I said in Dean's thread, I couldn't split out the posts dealing with the subject because they were too intertwined with discussion about Dean's show, “The Disgusting Life of Stanley Brown.”

I feel a “statement” coming on, so here it is:

I personally do not use, nor will I use, programs to "get around" the restrictions imposed on viewing iplayer videos. Because they are restricted for those of us outside the UK, it is frustrating not to be able to watch them when they are linked on here, especially since this forum's purpose is to share and celebrate the accomplishments of current and former Billy cast, wherever they are, be it London or here in the US, but it's not the end of the world not to be able to see some of this material. As Brian said above, it apparently works both ways between the UK and the US. And more recently, there appear to be increasing restrictions on some television content from Canada as well. As sad as that is for sharing the "Billy" joy among international fans, it is what it is. At least we can all still enjoy such content made available in our own countries.

What individual members choose to do about “getting around” restrictions on their own computers is up to them, but this forum does make an effort to avoid posting links that involve infringement of copyrights. For that reason, the link provided to a full episode of “Stanley Brown” has now been removed. There are quite probably some other questionable video links that have made it onto the forum in error, but while our moderation may not be perfect in all cases, the forum does have rules and policies that the admins/mods will continue to enforce as best we can.

On a related note, the forum’s rules also cover the posting of links to recordings or videos of the show itself made in violation of the policies established by the Billy London Ltd. and the Victoria Palace in the UK. They extend as well to the policies of various other entities around the world that have been, or currently are, involved with productions of the show, which at the moment means Networks Tours and the various sponsoring organizations that control the performances of the North American touring version of the show, which also prohibit recording or videoing of performances.

I had a recent complaint about the removal of a post containing a link that included an embedded video of the finale of a former Billy’s final show. The purpose of the post was to inform people of the video’s presence in a member’s blog, since it is no longer available on youtube. Sorry, folks, but just because it’s embedded in a blog, that doesn’t make it any more legal than if it were still on youtube, and the forum’s rules still apply.

Especially regarding the London show, this forum has a good working relationship with the Billy company and the Victoria Palace, who graciously allow members to take still photographs after the chair lift at final performances, and we certainly do not want to jeopardize that privilege by promoting links to videos made in clear violation of their policies.

For the reasons given above, the admins/mods will still do their best to moderate posts that go against our rules.

Okay, that’s it! Said all I have to say for now. 8-) If you read it, thanks for reading. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

An interesting discussion but you do realise that I was joking when I posted on Dean's thread don't you???

Anyways, there is some sort of global iPlayer channel on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/BBCiplayerglobal

It seems that 'Global' iPlayer is already available in Europe, Aus and Canada - that seems to have all the major countries covered.

And Kport, I'm on your side about watching from back in the US - you have paid for the licence and not rebroadcasting it so I don't consider that to be out of order.
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

This is an interesting development on the front of internet copyright infringement:

http://www.salon.com/2012/10/09/interne ... rike_plan/
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Non-BETM Archive”