Drew Minard - Billy

atreyu
George

Re: Drew Minard - Billy

Post by atreyu »

Todd wrote:
lasob wrote: My only complaint is that his close cropped hair was a little jarring and you could see his entire mic because of it.
I noticed that with Noah Parets as well, as he had just had a new/shorter hair cut when I saw him last weekend. Never really thought about it, but I guess I can't remember ever seeing a Billy with close-cropped hair before, and now there's two of them on the tour. Besides the entire mic showing, I would think it would be easier for it to come loose and start flopping around since there's no hair to clip it onto to hold it in place. Might be reason enough for them to require the Billys and Michaels to keep their hair a bit on the shaggy side.
The mic systems have to be able to support the Thommie Retter hairstyle (or lack thereof?) :lol: But obviously it's more critical for Billy, which is why they have multiple mics on him

But anyway, I submit (and pretty sure lasob will agree) that any viewer who has an initial reaction to Drew's appearance will quickly get over it when he knocks your socks off with his Billy performance!
lasob wrote:His timing was a little off in the beginning,
The "Take me up" opening, Drew needed to wait one more measure or something like that. I've seen that happen even to a well-experienced Billy.

For that matter, there was one missed line for the scab's donation, "Hang on a minute! It'll pay for everything!" But it wasn't critical since Tony's "Billy, we don't have dirty money in here" can stand on its own.

But those are the couple bread crumbs for critics to nitpick and now that that's over, we can all focus on the 99.9% superb, wonderful, breathtaking, astounding, magical, fantabulous, . . . sorry, getting carried away. :D Drew is good.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

You can bet that Mary Martin...or Judy Garland....or the King's College Choir, for goodness sake...have missed an entry or two . It is the job of the conductor/accompanist to sort it out. That is what they are paid to do. It happens more than you might imagine. A good conductor/accompanist will make it disappear, as though it never happened.............
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Playbill has the announcement of Drew's debut in Austin:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/17 ... he-Musical
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

aubergine
Audience Member

Post by aubergine »

Hi - new to the forum! My 12-year-old daughter and I saw Drew as Billy in Baltimore on 12/27, and we were blown away! This was only our second time seeing the show. We saw Kylend a year ago at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. We loved Kylend's performance and felt fortunate to have seen him. I couldn't have imagined better. But now my daughter and I agree that we liked Drew's performance even more. I didn't detect any mistakes. His dancing, acting and singing were right on. We're privileged to have experienced such an amazing talent. And he was having so much fun! Especially during the curtain call number his joy was simply shining through.

A couple of other posters mentioned his short haircut and the visibility of his mic. We were sitting pretty close and I definitely noticed the mic strapped around his head, but didn't think anything of it. I guess I thought he was so cute that it didn't occur to me that longer hair would have camouflaged the mic arrangement.
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

Welcome to the forum aubergine! I was at that same show and have to agree with you about Drew. He is a wonderful addition to the cast - hard to believe he just started a few weeks ago, he comes across as such a pro. He was pure joy during the finale.

Very talented singer, actor and of course, dancer - he leads a wonderful show. And yes, he is cute!

As for the mic, yes I noticed it for a second, but then quickly forgot about it as I got engrossed in the show.

maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Welcome to the forum, aubergine. Glad you found us. :D I didn't get to see Drew in Baltimore, but I am looking forward to seeing both him and Mitchell in Richmond in February.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I've already said this elsewhere on the forum, but I saw Drew perform on Sunday afternoon in Baltimore and feel like screaming it from the rooftops how amazing he is as Billy!!! Fans who need an extra push to see the show (few though you are around here, haha) you simply MUST see this kid perform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UN-frickin-BELIEVABLE!!!

Triple threat and then some, just absolutely nails it all!!!!!!!!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
rickyfc
Small Boy

Post by rickyfc »

OK, now I'm jealous and want to see him!
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I'm not sure if you guys saw my review from Wednesdays Ottawa show, but I agree wholeheartedly with Sean. I was a little worried that Drew may seem green or raw since he was so new in the role. However as per usual, the producers have picked an outstanding boy to play Billy.
Drew was very confident and comfortable in the role, and it would have been easy to assume he had been playing it for years, instead of a couple weeks!
I can't and won't compare him to other Billy's because they all have their own strengths, but I can assure you that Drew more than holds his own in the role. I hope you guys get a chance to see him perform :-)

Return to “Cast - N. American/International Tour”