Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Thommie Retter

Post by ERinVA »

Yes, it is! :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

A much much better explanation of Thommie's ability than my lame description. Thank you, ERinVA, for making my point so well. Many of the older links for Thommie are broken now. :( Great to have a good one.
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Thommie Retter

Post by cincinnati »

Thommie Retter's father passed away this morning.....sending prayers and thoughts to the Retter family.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I have been in touch with Thommie to ask his permission for the above information to be posted on the forum. Not only did he grant permission, but he asked me to share with you all his eulogy for his father, which I am posting here. What a lovely, lovely tribute. Thank you so much for being willing to share it with us, Thommie.

David M. Retter

I was talking to my brother David a month or so ago, we were talking about the youth of America along with those that are a drag on society and our economy. I told him “I like going to work and always have”. I had kind of a “what’s their problem” tone in my voice. David replied “that’s an easy one”. The reason we enjoy going to work and being productive is because we watched our father get up every morning and do the same thing.

David Retter Sr. had a way of teaching by example.

Our dad was not lazy. He was a hard working man his entire life. I heard him complain of work only one time. He was telling me about being a little confused with the new way they were doing things at work. He also said something like “The only part about having that anurism that I regret is the fact that I can still remember being sharp as a tack.” He told me he wished he had lost that part along with the rest.

One of the reasons he was sharp as a tack is because well after he had five children he decided to improve himself by going back to school to get a degree. I was just a toddler but I remember clearly going to his college graduation. We were in the back of the theater and I can remember Cathy Cocain and Ron Hogerhyde as well as the Retter clan all being there and cheering when he crossed the stage to receive his diploma.
Anyhow, I tell you this because our father showed us you can make improvements to your life if you apply yourself.

David Retter Sr. had a way of teaching by example

As a kid I can remember being at friends houses and hearing the man of the house talk down to his wife, raise his voice in vain, belittle her for what he thought were her shortcomings. That was never the case at our house. Don’t get me wrong, there was a lot of yelling going on but it was all directed at us boys.
Our dad treated our mom like a queen every day of my life. Because of the way we saw him treat our mom and sister, the Retter boys will always be viewed in a wonderful light when it comes to holding women in the highest regard.

David Retter Sr. had a way of teaching by example.

I would be crazy to not mention what a great dancer my dad was. You wouldn’t see him dancing at the studio unless you were lucky.
But if you’ve ever been to one of our family weddings you definatly saw my dad cut a rug!

When he was going thru a mid life crisis you all may remember him dying his hair the wrong color brown. Go ahead laugh, it’s funny. Well I can asure you that none of his boys will make the same mistake. And the reason…

David Retter Sr. had a way of teaching by example

In all seriousness, today is a sad day for the Retter Family and we will have tough days ahead. I want to thank you all in advance for caring for our mom while she copes with the loss of her beloved husband. Please find a way to stay in touch with her. I know she will take comfort in your calls and visits.

A lasting comfort to me is knowing that my daughters will grow up with a caring and loving father. Because I grew up with a caring and loving father who had a way of teaching by example.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for posting this cincinatti and ERinVA.

It is so sad to hear this news. Thommie's eulogy is wonderful and he obviously thought the world of his dad.

My thoughts are with Thommie and his family at this difficult time.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Yeah, I didn't really know what to say so was waiting for someone else to post first. I'll go with what Billy Whiz said.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I didn't realize Thommie's section here was so neglected, but as I never posted here either, I share the blame! I just want to say a couple of things really quick about Thommie Retter...

1) He's been a wonderful liaison between the show and the fans, a true good will ambassador. He's provided dance classes for the fans, joined us for countless meals and stage-door conversations, and just been an all-around GREAT guy!

2) Thommie knows that a few years ago, he may have been in our place, watching a Broadway show from the other side of the big red curtain, cheering the stars from the other side of the metal barrier at stage door. So he really goes out of his way to make things extra special for us all the time. If we had said a prayer before the show opened in New York asking God to send us someone in the cast who would help us get a little closer, have more special moments, tell us personally how it feels to be on that stage, Thommie Retter would have been the PERFECT answer to that prayer.

3) At stage door, he always has a warm hello when he sees fans he knows and on multiple occasions he's corralled the young stars for a group shot with the fans. I have to say, by the way, that I usually feel uncomfortable asking for photos individually with the Billys, though I have on a rare occasion. But those group shots with the stars--including Thommie--are always extra special and make this Forum and the Friends Of Billy forum come alive, and strengthen the community we have with one another. Though some people online here prefer to go on their own, which is fine, I love the many good people I've met through the Forums. Having photos taken together at Stage Door is a great opportunity to remember those extra special days we've had together (and they've all been special).

4) All of Thommie's awesome off-stage time with us aside, his on-stage talent is unmatched. And even though I'm beyond confident that he could perform the role of Dad or George to fantastic results, he's certainly already proven to be an incredible Mr. Braithwaite! For those who may not know, Thommie is ever conscious of his role, always looking for fun ways to bring his character alive, and his dancing, while always beyond top notch, has only improved over time, with each new little move he's added along the way. In short, he's single-handedly made Born To Boogie a SHOW STOPPER!!! People cheer and clap for him mid-number all the time!!! And tons of laughs too!!!

I could go on and on about this guy, but I'll stop for now. But I hope I have at least in part provided a good summary of just SOME of the many reasons we love Thommie Retter!!!

Sean

Sean Patrick Brennan/angelenroute

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

You're right on the money there Sean.

Well said :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Happy Birthday Thommie!

This is my 1000th post on this forum, and is dedicated to you and your amazing talents. :D
:/

Return to “Cast - Broadway”