Austin Reviews

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Austin Reviews

Post by ERinVA »

While this reviewer has nothing but the highest praise for the cast, he does not like the show itself, including the script, the direction, the musical score and the set design. :? "Please yer Bessie."

http://nationaltours.broadwayworld.com/ ... 1212-page2
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Austin Reviews

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:While this reviewer has nothing but the highest praise for the cast, he does not like the show itself, including the script, the direction, the musical score and the set design. :? "Please yer Bessie."

http://nationaltours.broadwayworld.com/ ... 1212-page2
Such dyspepsic comments simply make the reviewer appear to be a curmudgeon. However, we know that almost every critic praises the cast, and the lighting is equally lauded. The tunes may not be hummable but...the whole point is to reflect the musical styles of the period and the location (I actually knew Marc Boland; he would have approved of Sir Elton's use of northern colliery band influences; and Grandma's song is right out of the 1930's music hall scene at such places as the Victoria Palace Theatre). Ah, well, we cannot all NOT be philistines......
ActingDude17
Tall Boy

Post by ActingDude17 »

When will people realize the point of a musical score is not to provide "hummable tunes"? For God's sakes. The very phrase makes me cringe. I'm getting tired of seeing that as a "criticism" of Billy Elliot. Catchiness has nothing to do with the quality of a piece of art. Some of the most beautiful and transcendent things are not attractive at all. They have an atypical sense of beauty.
UK/Ireland Tour
Billy: Lewis Smallman
Michael: Elliot Stiff

2nd American Tour
Billy: Giuseppe Bausilio, Michael Dameski, Ty Forhan
Michael: Griffin Birney x2, Cameron Clifford
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I thought it was sad that he didn't understand the point of the intertwining lyrics and choreography in "Solidarity." He seemed to think that the focus on the strike and riots was out of place and should have been relegated to a brief note in the program instead of being treated as an important part of the story. I think he just did not get it at all.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Here's a generally positive review from Keye TV:

http://keyetv.com/entertainment/local/s ... -226.shtml
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Here's a positive review from the Austin Chronicle:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/arts/201 ... e-musical/
Ellen

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

And yet another positive review:

http://htl.li/g6Xq7
BillyBob
Small Boy

Post by BillyBob »

Friday night, Austin. Kylend's last show/Ben as Michael/Cameron as Tall Boy.
Let me start by saying I do not claim to be a writer or reviewer. So a lot of this may come out totally wrong or too personal.

What a joy to be part of a very special evening. And it was by pure luck. I've tried at every Texas stop for two years to see kylend and got to see him at his best. Knowing it would be an emotional evening for him, and the cast, I really did not know what to expect. This young man loves and appreciates his audience and plays to them. You could tell throughout the show that Kylend and the cast were enjoying their final moments together. All you had to do was watch his facial expressions. The little grins and smiles, the eye contact. Places where it would not be the "normal" reaction to the scene. I seemed to notice this most in the second act when Kylend would have his last major moment with members of the ensemble. It was both sweet and sour to watch.

Now I know how those who saw the Arkansas performance with Ben and Kylend (as Michael) felt. These two are like watching Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. They were kids. They played off each other. They had fun! They enjoyed their last performance together. It was so fun to watch Ben work Kylend over during Express. Ben was really hamming it up and finally got Ky to break. Not sure the audience really understood it, but who cares. These best buds were having a blast while they had the chance. This playful interaction was also very evident in the gym scene before Billy's dream. Little pauses, glances to the back of the stage and floor let you know how hard it was for these two not to just go off script, completely breakup and rewrite the rest of the show their way. What fun to watch kids.

"The Letter." (side note, don't know if it is an official change or just the Austin program, but I don't like it called "Dear Billy.") What can you say about The Letter. Knowing that this was Kat and Kylend's last performance of this together, you know going in that it was going to be a Kleenex moment. And it was for me. Both lost it in the first Letter but stayed with it. But it was quite obvious that the the tears, the hugs and the words being sung were sincere and that these two have a great emotional attachment to each other. The final Letter was hard for both. You could tell they both new the end was here but there was no way to stop it or slow it down. They both broke but kept it going... every word every emotion. This is professional. At this point I should throw out a huge congratulations to the music conductor of the evening who was very alert to the special moments of the night and let the cast have their time with the music. It's not easy to adjust entrances and timing of the music when the performers are saying their goodbyes. But he stayed right with them. Great job.

Electricity. Let's just say that Kylend left it on the stage. It felt like Kylend was really trying to let us know that these words were his real feelings about dance. He was strong and confident in what he was saying. He wanted us to leave knowing, that without question, this has been, and will be, his passion. He did! The slow to happen, but long lasting, standing ovation at the end of Electricity brought Kylend, yet again, to tears. And during what seemed like a long and awkward time, you could see In his expression how much he loved performing this piece and was probably thinking "that was it, I'm moving on." It was a beautiful moment.

As Kylend was saying goodbye and thank you to Janet (Mrs. W.) before he leaves for school, it was once again obvious that this cast is a family. The pauses and stretching of lines let you know that Janet (nor Kylend) did not want to say that final "bye" in the scene. And the tears were again quite real.

More so than Kylend, I thought that Ben really lost it as he road his bike to the center of the stage and called out to Dancing Boy for the last time. As Kylend ran (and I mean ran) back up on stage, Both barely kept from a complete meltdown as Kylend kissed Ben on the cheek and turned saying "see ya Ben." And then the moment I new would someday come and dreaded all night, Ben's tearful "see ya Kylend."

I have been blessed to see the end of a legend, "the Billy." Kylend. In a couple of hours I will be back in the theater to see the birth of a new Billy as this remarkable show and cast carries on. Happy trails to you Kylend. We all wish only the best for you. Live long and prosper.

Respectfully submitted,

Robert
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

BillyBob wrote:Let me start by saying I do not claim to be a writer or reviewer. So a lot of this may come out totally wrong or too personal.
There is definitely no need to apologize, Robert. Your review of a very special night is magnificent. I'm so glad there was at least one Forum member there to record it and share it with the rest of us.

To me, it was as it should be -- Kylend, always the professional and perfectionist going out in what was obviously a very professional manner, but at the same time displaying his passion and deep feelings for this show he has been associated with for over three years. And also fitting that Ben, his good buddy, who's journey to "Be Billy" so closely parallels that of Kylend, got to "return the favor" and play Kylend's best bud Michael as Kylend had done for him last week.

From tweets and Facebook posts of Kylend's family, cast members and crew, I know this was a very emotional night -- and I'm so happy for you that you got to witness it.

Thanks.
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

Robert

Thank you for that beautiful review and personal tribute to Ky. I wanted to be there for Ky's last show and for the debut of a new Billy but was not able to do it. Your description of the special moments and the emotion brought me to tears reading it. Thanks it was almost like actually being there
Joe

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”