Montreal Reviews

angelenroute
Billy

Montreal Reviews

Post by angelenroute »

Hoping a few of you will be posting reviews here today and in the week or so to come. Let's be having 'em! :D
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Montreal Reviews

Post by porschesrule »

Here's the first one and it's a good one -- From the Huffington Post (Quebec). It's in French but I used a translate program. Hopefully you can read it:

http://quebec.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/01 ... 39432.html

I just hope Montreal audiences don't expect to see any of the Billys shown in the first picture with the article :o :D
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Here's what my Windows Live translation came up with. 8-) It's a bit scrumpled, but you will get the idea. :lol:
Award-winning ten Tony Awards and praised all over the world in 2009, Billy Elliot The Musical is probably the best musical to be presented in Montreal in recent years. Building on the directed by Stephen Daldry, the music of Elton John, the libretto by Lee Hall and the choreography for Peter Darling - a Quartet to whom we owe the creation of the film of the same name in 2000 - the show deserves all synonyms of "Grand" to describe the feeling that lives us for nearly three hours.Great Britain, 1984: the national miners Union raises strike to prevent the first Minister Margaret Thatcher to destroy the coal industry. While his father, his brother and the rest of the inhabitants of the village are fighting to defend their rights, young Billy went to his lessons from boxing without motivation, train at the gym a bit longer and assists in Mrs. Wilkinson's ballet. Without that it includes too much why, visibly slowed by the weight of its own prejudices on the dance, the boy lives his first blow of heart. After made her understand that he has an exceptional gift, Wilkinson took him under his wing and helps him prepare her audition for the Royal Ballet School in London, towards and against all.If most musicals focus on catchy songs that trot us in the head for days or oldies that plunge us into nostalgia, Billy Elliot draws its power thrilling choreography and its almost outnumber songs spoken dialogue.Ode to individuality, manifest for the difference, advocacy on the power of art, Billy Elliot The Musical is first and foremost the story of a young single man, performed by an artist as he is little. Playing Billy in tonight's first - four players separate variety of representations - Noah Parets offers a service to take your breath away. 13-Year- old identified as the young male dancer of the year 2011 by American Dance, the dance teen not only as a minigod, but it is also able to sing and play correctly. Although it is surrounded by a distribution of the Thunder, including the masterful Janet Dickinson, who plays a Mrs. Wilkinson benevolent, colorful and engaging, Parets steals the show with his monster energy and determination in any event.Impossible not to mention the sublime work of Stephen Daldry, which implemented its own film in a show at the uniqueness: a staging where the claims of minors intermingle so ingenious children dance lessons, a puppet theatre that is used to demonize the Iron Lady and a party Prize for the simplicity and originality.Billy Elliot The Musical-attend, rejoice to see a child discover a passion, Exult seeing exceed the limits of his ambitions, have wanted to make a standing ovation standing 30 minutes before the end of the representation and coming home promising to watch the movie at least once a year to make sure to relive as great emotions again and again.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

ERinVA wrote:Here's what my Windows Live translation came up with. 8-) It's a bit scrumpled, but you will get the idea. :lol:
That's near enough! ;)

Thanks, Ellen!
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

What a great review! "These kids really are all right"
http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertai ... story.html
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for the link. Yes, that's definitely a good one. :D
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I read the french review. The translation loses a little je ne sais quoi that french so appropriately captures. However either way its a good review. I hope the Montreal audiences enjoy the show!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

It's better in French, as far as I can tell with my limited high school French background. More fluent, one might say. ;)
Ellen

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Although this review from THE CHARLEBOIS POST in Montreal ends by saying "...if you have the chance to see Billy Elliot the Musical, the visual and musical experience is well worth the slightly excessive length of the show (approx. 3 hours including intermission), it makes an unfavorable comparison to the film, about which the critic says "I so loved the film upon which this musical is based, thus leading me to make mental notes every time a new scene was inserted into the story."

http://www.charpo-canada.com/2013/01/re ... lliot.html
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”