Sao Paulo, Brazil

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Sao Paulo, Brazil

Post by kport »

accessmenj wrote:So Billy Elliot The Musical is going to Brazil. This must cost close to a million dollars, so its purpose can't be to make profits. It must be a test to see if this is a good future market.

Remember that Giuseppe's mom is from Brazil, and he speaks fluent Portuguese. He would be a great part of any promotion. It would make a good Summer job. His mom could visit relatives. And the local connection will sell tickets. And we all would love to see it.
Giuseppe as a young Tony. Now that could be interesting. 16 year olds went down the mines in 1984. Even younger one, in some case.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

kport wrote:16 year olds went down the mines in 1984.
Just as Dad sings in "Deep Into The Ground".
:/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

In fact, he sings: "On me fifteenth birthday..."
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Indeed he does. So it would not be beyond the realms of possibility for Tony to be 16............although I see him more around 18-19, the age when a young man would be physically equal to his father.

Back to Giuseppe....he and his mother would be great ambassadors for the Brazil leg, and would be perfectly placed for promotions. If not Tony, I am sure a role for him could be found.
ActingDude17
Tall Boy

Post by ActingDude17 »

kport wrote:Indeed he does. So it would not be beyond the realms of possibility for Tony to be 16............although I see him more around 18-19, the age when a young man would be physically equal to his father.
I agree completely - this is key. Tony is also supposed to be an extremely strong contrast to Billy. A young adult can easily provide that whereas a mid-teen only three or so years older than Billy cannot.

I can't wait to hear how the Brazilian people respond to BETM. It's so great that yet another audience will be able to enjoy this artful and spirited show.
UK/Ireland Tour
Billy: Lewis Smallman
Michael: Elliot Stiff

2nd American Tour
Billy: Giuseppe Bausilio, Michael Dameski, Ty Forhan
Michael: Griffin Birney x2, Cameron Clifford
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Having traveled quite a bit in Central and South America I know that some people speak varying degrees of English, but certainly not enough to understand the show (I know there are a few that will). Therefore, I agree that it may be some kind of testing ground for Brazil. If hordes show up to see it in English, no doubt they would show up in droves for a Portuguese version. Just my 2 cents. At any rate, great to see the show on it's way to Brazil!
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

My theory...Brazil is inviting the world over the next 4 years(world cup, Olympics) and this is part of that push. The backers there may even lose money but think of it as a lose leader.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

dongringo wrote:Having traveled quite a bit in Central and South America I know that some people speak varying degrees of English, but certainly not enough to understand the show (I know there are a few that will). Therefore, I agree that it may be some kind of testing ground for Brazil. If hordes show up to see it in English, no doubt they would show up in droves for a Portuguese version. Just my 2 cents. At any rate, great to see the show on it's way to Brazil!

A large screen for translations could be placed above the stage. As in Les Mis.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

StevenKing wrote:My theory...Brazil is inviting the world over the next 4 years(world cup, Olympics) and this is part of that push. The backers there may even lose money but think of it as a lose leader.
Good observation. I will not be surprised if this is being sponsored in some way.
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

kport wrote:
StevenKing wrote:My theory...Brazil is inviting the world over the next 4 years(world cup, Olympics) and this is part of that push. The backers there may even lose money but think of it as a lose leader.
Good observation. I will not be surprised if this is being sponsored in some way.
Exactly - I can envision some Brazilian group saying to the tour "Come to Brazil and we'll pay your travel expenses" (or something along those lines.) As Steven mentioned, the spotlight will be on Brazil over the next 4 years with the World Cup and Olympics.

Return to “Billy Elliot the Musical - N. Amer./Int'l Tour”