Stripey Shirts Inquiry

Is the Music live? Where are auditons held?
Todd
Dad

Re: Stripey Shirts Inquiry

Post by Todd »

KeefyM wrote: I do know one London Billy had his Stripey Top changed because his hair changed colour during his Billy run, i.e. he is naturally brown haired but his hair was dyed blonde and became more blonde during his run and therefore it was decided another Stripey Top Colour would work better with his now blonde hair.
This is probably a discussion for another thread, but I seem to remember the hair-color topic coming up before without a definite resolution (regarding the former practice of having several of the dark-haired Billys dye their hair a copper/blonde color). With all the information available here about stripey shirts, maybe someone also has some "inside scoop" on why they dyed the Billys' hair for a time. I remember one of the ideas mentioned was maybe that they wanted Billy to stand out as more of a "golden boy," but I'm not sure if this theory was ever substantiated.

I thought I was going to finally find out the answer to this mystery 2 months ago when I was in London. I happened to be near the theatre where "Mama Mia" is playing - right about the time the performance that night was about to end - so I waited by the stage door to say hi to Leon Cooke when he came out. When he did indeed come out, I said hello and mentioned that I had seen him as Billy Elliot several times "back in the day." He was very nice and stopped to chat, and after a few minutes, the topic of his now-darker hair came up. He said, "Yeah, they dyed it blonde for the show." I replied, "I always wondered why they used to do that." He kind of rolled his eyes and said, "I don't know" . . . . as if he was thinking, "I always wondered why they did that, too."

So I guess that mystery remains unsolved.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I was waiting for that to resurface. Yes, that would be Leon. No need to withold names that I can see. He certainly wasn't the only Billy with lightened hair, but his case was probably the most extreme because of how dark his natural color is. If anyone wants to pursue this topic, I'll see if I can find an original thread for it, or start a new one.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Eltonjohn
Miner

Post by Eltonjohn »

jdmag44 wrote:Hey Eltonjohn

Thanks so much for your wonderful questions. I have wondered about those things myself and have learned a lot from the responses of the forum members

The tour is arriving here in just over 5 weeks, so I have to be a quick study and learn just as much as I can between now and their arrival. So far I have read my way through a minority of all the threads in their entirety, sorta Billy 101 :lol:

As they say, the only really stupid question is the one that you're too afraid to ask!
BETM: "the most expensive school play ever."
Lee Hall
in Playbill October 2008
Eltonjohn
Miner

Post by Eltonjohn »

LiamM wrote:By the way, the diamond pattern is called an Argyle pattern.
Some of you may recall another character who is also well known by the argyle patterned shirt he traditionally wears on the job. Just as William is known as Billy, Charles is known as Charlie (and he is not the bonny one).
Lee Hall
in Playbill October 2008
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Eltonjohn wrote:So far I have read my way through a minority of all the threads in their entirety, sorta Billy 101
Ahh. But have you started on the archived articles yet for an historical review of the original discussions about many of your questions?

http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... m.php?f=38
Eltonjohn
Miner

Post by Eltonjohn »

Yes, my OP was concerning what I now know is referred to as the FST to add to the specialty acronymns. (Finale Stripey Top).

Special sincere thanks to Keefy, knower of all things stripey billy, for the photos, one of which shows that the stripes appear only on the fronts of the shirts.

Thing is, I sew, see? So I'm thinking that I can probably concoct and come up with a reasonably passable and all-too-recognizable version inspired by the actual design - but by no means an identical knock off - that will actually fit me (made-to-measure as we say here in america, or bespoke as they say on Saville Row in London) and that I could conceivably wear to the show.... maybe even with a vestigal 4 inches / 10 cm of tutu-like protruding white fringe to accessorize the look! Probably do the shirt up in a LM red version (goes well with my complexion, hair colour, sense of style and showmanship :lol: .)

Speaking of hair colour, somehow I just can't even imagine someone like, say, Alex with his hair turned all blond. But maybe that's just me... :roll:
Lee Hall
in Playbill October 2008
Eltonjohn
Miner

Post by Eltonjohn »

porschesrule wrote:
Eltonjohn wrote:So far I have read my way through a minority of all the threads in their entirety, sorta Billy 101
Ahh. But have you started on the archived articles yet for an historical review of the original discussions about many of your questions?

http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... m.php?f=38

Schiez (sp?) I was afraid somebody was going to ask this! :shock: (why're you up so early?!)
Lee Hall
in Playbill October 2008
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

I have sleeping issues most nights -- am up usually between 3am and 7am, then back to bed for some additonal winks :p
Eltonjohn
Miner

Post by Eltonjohn »

I just realized that the light blue version FSTs are roughly the same tone as the washed out blue jeans also being worn in the scene... pleasing to the eye and sorta monochromatic that... so possibly maybe the reason for standardization to that particular colour scheme, an aesthetic choice...

It looks as if the stripes and argyle pattern could be silk screened on to the otherwise plain white shirt fronts. Ditto for sleeves. The collar and placket (narrow vertical strip where the polo shirt buttons are sewn and button holes cut into the fabric) are of a different, coloured material from the white fabric. I.O.W. it would be feasible to get a supply of screened white material and sew up however many FSTs of whatever size on an as-needed basis. Just speculating.
Lee Hall
in Playbill October 2008
KeefyM
Michael

Post by KeefyM »

London Stripey Shirts Update.

Tade's Red Stripey Top he had since his London debut and that he wore on Broadway is no more - he was changed to the Light Blue Stripey Top on 28th February. Redmand is now the only London Billy who wears the Red Top.
Seems the Light Blue 'standardization' in London is still happening.

Therefore, as from 28th February 2013
HarrisLight Blue (has worn since debut in February 2012)
HarrisonLight Blue (has worn since debut in May 2012)
Tade - (wore Red Top on Broadway and wore Red Top from 6th February (London Debut) until 27th February 2013.
wears Light Blue from 28th Feb).
Redmand - Red (has worn since debut in August 2012)

Thanks to everyone for their comments earlier in this thread, very much appreciated.

Cheers
Keefy (aka Billy Stripey Shirts Expert/Nerd)
:D

Return to “Information/Questions about BETM”