Options for 2014

Will "Billy" be staged all over the world? A place to discuss.
We will move posts, if starts, so has own section, like London, New York etc
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Options for 2014

Post by kport »

mikey2573 wrote:I don't think BILLY will be a problem for regional theaters and I suspect that, once the tour closes, we will see numerous regional productions. It is a popular title with lots of children in the cast and that is appealing to many audiences. As to finding Billys to fill the shoes, most areas around the US have dance and ballet schools and the boys would be obvious contenders for Billy. They may not be as "polished" as those Billys we've seen on Broadway or on tour (though they could be), however Billy is not supposed to be a great dancer; it is the POTENTIAL that must be seen. Just look at Jamie Bell's dancing in the film; there is definitely a "rough around the edges" look to his dancing. Makes it more suspenseful if he isn't a shoe in for the Royal Ballet.
I agree, Mikey. The powers-that-be should dust off the Billy Youth Theatre production script and spruce it up for international use, just as Les Mis did for schools, and perhaps make a semi-professional version for regional adult theatres as well.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

This about Universal and Working Title Films;

UNIVERSAL PICTURES STAGE PRODUCTIONS (UPSP) (Producer) is the live stage division of Universal Pictures, the motion picture studio which is part of NBCUniversal. It owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group and world-renowned theme parks.
Comcast Corporation owns a controlling interest in NBCUniversal.

WORKING TITLE FILMS (Producer) . Working Title recently announced the creation of a new television production company, WTTV. Based in LA and London, WTTV is a joint venture between NBC Universal International, Bevan and Fellner. Recent productions include adaptations of Birdsong and The Borrowers, both for BBC One.

This connection between the Producers of Billy Elliot The Musical and television, especially the new television production company of Working Title Films, makes me even more certain that a television adaptation of BETM is in the near future.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Comcast has now purchased the rest of NBCUniversal that it did not already own. This means that the big-buck producer of Billy Elliot The Musical is now a cable tv giant. I don't know if this is good or bad for the 2014 options, but it will have an effect in the future.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I worry that a TV series about Billy would take away all the grit and emotion. The sensors would never allow the language and some of the attitudes that existed in that world.
I'm not saying it can't be done. I would just be worried that it may not be done well.
However if Stephen Daldry is involved, I'm sure he would protect it and make sure it was done well.
ActingDude17
Tall Boy

Post by ActingDude17 »

Were a television adaption on a premium network such as Showtime, the full creative potential could be realized. I'd love to see a truly gritty rendering that did visceral justice to the time period and setting.
UK/Ireland Tour
Billy: Lewis Smallman
Michael: Elliot Stiff

2nd American Tour
Billy: Giuseppe Bausilio, Michael Dameski, Ty Forhan
Michael: Griffin Birney x2, Cameron Clifford
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

ActingDude17 wrote:Were a television adaption on a premium network such as Showtime, the full creative potential could be realized. I'd love to see a truly gritty rendering that did visceral justice to the time period and setting.
The cost of such a program would be enormous (it would have to use London cast, as the Tour cast will be cast asunder after August).

'Finding Billy' would work. It is out there, and compelling.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I don't think a TV show would use any of the casts of the Musicals. They would want their own cast.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

All the first year shows for NBC were a bust. They are in need of content for a new show. They have "The Voice", and not much else. Have they already put 2+2 together?

Of course they have! The rights to "Billy Elliot The Musical" is an asset. Like any business, management will evaluate the use of their assets. Whether they think that they can use BETM in broadcast TV, cable TV, a movie, etc. will be evaluated. It no doubt has already been evaluated. We will know the results soon.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ar ... Stories%29

This probably sums it up. All touring shows seem to be hurting(probably excluding a certain show with the a "Morman" in the title) so they wont risk extending a musical that's already toured most places...ALWAYS think about the $$$ first...and middle and last. If it wont make money it wont be done. That means no Tour anymore, Broadway a WAY more no way(MUCH more expensive) and honestly how many people would watch a Billy Elliot TV show in the USA...they might have VERY well added 2+2 and got .1...I'm not being glib there, in my opinion that might be overestimating the audience here. If its not already being done in the UK(where itd cross promote with London) it wont be done here.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

ActingDude17 wrote:Were a television adaption on a premium network such as Showtime, the full creative potential could be realized. I'd love to see a truly gritty rendering that did visceral justice to the time period and setting.
Showtime already does this...its called "Shameless" lol. Converted for USA granted, and pretty popular(still like the original though(still running!!) but the accents REQUIRE subtitles for my ears).

Return to “Where will "BETM" play next ?”