Archive Reviews

chocchipcookie26
Tony

Archive Reviews

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

I was just wondering... has anyone kept old reviews they did, of things like Billy's First Nights and Last Nights etc..it would be fantastic to see them!
x
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Re: Archive Reviews

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

Thanks :) I meant people's own reviews but now i think about it.. yeahh.. that's a good idea too :)
x
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Liam steps in as Michael 8-) The only unscheduled Michael I've seen is Layton who was absolutely hillareous.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 08824.html
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

A few from the early days Talk Saturday 17th September 2005

I really enjoyed the film but was a bit dubious about booking to see the musical as I thought it might not work at all and be a bit of a flop. I waited for the reviews and as they were so good I decided to book. Also I had a gift of theatre tokens given to me as a thank you from a child in my group.
As part of London open house I heard that Stephen Daldry and Lee Hall
were doing a talk about making a musical from a film. I only heard about this on the day before however I managed to get tickets for this on line for myself and a friend thinking I would go even if she didn’t want to. After a day doing lots of interesting London buildings including the wonderfully restored Hackney Empire we got to the Victoria Palace theatre another Frank Matcham one like the Hackney Empire. When we arrived it was a bit confusing as people were coming out after the matinee and trying to pick up tickets for the evening performance. There was a notice up saying that there were very limited day tickets available for the evening performance. We were eventually taken into the foyer area where the shop is there were only about 20 of us there. Stephen first of all apologized for being a bit late but he explained that they were losing their first Billy Michael and Ballet girls that night and how they were having a party for them upstairs. He said they were having a new Billy starting on the Monday called Leon. He said there were lots of tears and upset at leaving the show. Stephen and Lee then talked about how they had created the musical. Lee said how he wrote the words first then Elton did the music though some composers do it the other way around music first then words. Stephen explained that the principles were from all over but the ballet girls were all more or less within the M25. Stephen said it had been very hard work getting the show together. He explained that most of the child cast had very little experience on stage before. They said how they had separate shows for each Billy and how if one had to be swapped the orchestra had to change their score. He was very amusing as he acting out the Orchestra looking up and seeing a different Billy and then quickly rummaging through their music to get the correct score. He said how in the previews it was far too long and the chaperones were hovering in the wings ready to take the children of stage if the show ran past 11pm after which they are not allowed to be on stage. They asked for questions most of them were quite general but one was which song did they regret cutting the most the answer was goodbye Grandma and Stephen said he was determined to get it back in the show sometime or the other. Stephen then thanked us for coming and said he wanted to go back to the kids party. I thanked him for the talk and said how interesting I found it especially as I was going to the show for the first time on the following Wednesday.

September 21st

This was my first visit to see Billy. I had read revues of it and heard a talk by Stephen Daldry however I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect. On the board it said Leon Cooke as Billy I was a bit disappointed as I wanted to see one of the originals. We purchased a programme which I thought was very good value as it was only £4 and was a big souvenir type programme we were up in the front row of the Grand circle and had a very good overview of the stage. When the small boy came on I thought he was Billy and was amazed at how small he was. When we realised that this wasn’t Billy as Billy made his entrance later I was amazed at how tall Billy seemed. Very much a teenager. Though in actual fact he was still very small compared to the adult cast we realised from or programme that it wasn’t Leon but in actual fact either Liam or George and. we felt he looked more like George than Liam but we were not certain. There was so much to see and look at that we were simply blown away by this young lad he could thing and dance and do the most fantastic acrobatics. The thing that amazed us was the flip of the piano in “Born to boogie” Grandma really made us laugh in her song. We loved the ballet girls especially the fact that they were all shapes and sizes. Brad was Michael and he really made us laugh particularly that dreadful dress. The look of amazement and then horror from George. You could see what fun the boys were having the dialogue was very clear and the jokes came over well. Brooke was Debbie and the f**ny scene really made us laugh especially George’s face.

Whilst queuing up for our drinks in the interval I caused great confusion by producing a voucher for 2 free small bottles of wine they had to call someone from downstairs to sort us out. She came apologising for the delay and we got our free bottles of wine. We asked her who was playing Billy she gave an affectionate smile and said “Oh it is George tonight” The second half went quicker than the first. We laughed at the Maggie Thatcher scene especially the giant Maggie. As for Swan Lake we were not expecting the flying and it left us really stunned as George rose higher and higher and spun faster and faster. As for Electricity we didn’t know what was coming next wonderful singing, fantastic dance and as for the acrobatics we couldn’t believe what we were seeing. The run up the wall came as a complete shock it seemed that George just ran halfway up the wall before flipping over and landing back on his feet. It just left us stunned. My friend commented after that she hadn’t seen that on the stage before she had only seen it happen in an old musical film.

Our verdict was that we couldn’t get over what we had seen and from such a young lad. I made up my mind I was going to see it again.

September 21st

This was my first visit to see Billy. I had read revues of it and heard a talk by Stephen Daldry however I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect. On the board it said Leon Cooke as Billy I was a bit disappointed as I wanted to see one of the originals. We purchased a programme which I thought was very good value as it was only £4 and was a big souvenir type programme we were up in the front row of the Grand circle and had a very good overview of the stage. When the small boy came on I thought he was Billy and was amazed at how small he was. When we realised that this wasn’t Billy as Billy made his entrance later I was amazed at how tall Billy seemed. Very much a teenager. Though in actual fact he was still very small compared to the adult cast we realised from or programme that it wasn’t Leon but in actual fact either Liam or George and. we felt he looked more like George than Liam but we were not certain. There was so much to see and look at that we were simply blown away by this young lad he could thing and dance and do the most fantastic acrobatics. The thing that amazed us was the flip of the piano in “Born to boogie” Grandma really made us laugh in her song. We loved the ballet girls especially the fact that they were all shapes and sizes. Brad was Michael and he really made us laugh particularly that dreadful dress. The look of amazement and then horror from George. You could see what fun the boys were having the dialogue was very clear and the jokes came over well. Brooke was Debbie and the f**ny scene really made us laugh especially George’s face.

Whilst queuing up for our drinks in the interval I caused great confusion by producing a voucher for 2 free small bottles of wine they had to call someone from downstairs to sort us out. She came apologising for the delay and we got our free bottles of wine. We asked her who was playing Billy she gave an affectionate smile and said “Oh it is George tonight” The second half went quicker than the first. We laughed at the Maggie Thatcher scene especially the giant Maggie. As for Swan Lake we were not expecting the flying and it left us really stunned as George rose higher and higher and spun faster and faster. As for Electricity we didn’t know what was coming next wonderful singing, fantastic dance and as for the acrobatics we couldn’t believe what we were seeing. The run up the wall came as a complete shock it seemed that George just ran halfway up the wall before flipping over and landing back on his feet. It just left us stunned. My friend commented after that she hadn’t seen that on the stage before she had only seen it happen in an old musical film.

Our verdict was that we couldn’t get over what we had seen and from such a young lad. I made up my mind I was going to see it again.

NOVEMBER 10TH

I queued up over the half term holiday to get day tickets however I was unlucky so I decided to book a ticket this time on my own for a repeat visit to Billy. On arrival looking at the board I was initially disappointed to see the identical child cast that I had on my first visit to Billy George, Brad and Brooke. However I was to be proved wrong. I believe it was an understudy Mrs. W and Grandma but can’t be sure.

This time I was seat B21 in the stalls I loved this seat you could see so much more. Yes you couldn’t always see the dancer’s feet but you could see all the facial expressions. George didn’t look any different from my first visit. You realised what a wonderful young actor he was really living the part and being into Billy. His voice although breaking was still excellent. He was so graceful with his dancing his ballet was so fluid and very different from his street and tap.

Another thing that struck me was how tiny and slight George really was. His arms looked so slim yet there was real power in them.

There were real tears during the letter scene but not overdone, held back like most teenage boys, a gradual welling up. He was still having a discreet wipe of his eyes as born to boogie started. This was great fun and so athletic the flip of the piano close up even more special. Express yourself was great fun close up and you could sense the closeness between the two boys and the fun they were having.
When I first saw the angry dance I wasn’t sure if I like it as it was such a contrast to the rest of the show. But the second time around I became a real fan. The tap was so spot on and you could see the real anger and fury and frustration of a teenage boy.

The only trouble with Swan Lake was that you lost George for a moment as he was lifted up. It was interesting to see the board in place during Electricity and watch George approach and execute the flip.

At the curtain call I was concerned to see how upset and tearful George was he was quite distressed Tim Healy was giving him reassuring hugs all the time and George was desperately trying to control the tears and
wiping them away with the back of his hand. I could just glimpse other member of the cast giving him a reassuring cuddle as they hosted him up onto the chair. However I do feel that probably only a minority of the audience were aware that George was upset. He quickly regained his composure and was all smiles for the grand finale even if he was a bit red eyed. He was blowing kisses into the audience so maybe he had friends or family there.

It was after this show that I became a real full blown fan of the show I purchased the DVD viewed the real Billy Diaries. Got my Mum to watch them as well she commented about what loving stable families they all came from. She particularly like Georges Mums remark about when she was driving along thinking about George being Billy she would well up with tears.

After doing various searches on the internet I found Broadway world and spent ages reading very post and found the transcript from the Frost show and discovered that George often got upset at the end of the show. I then found the old forum and the rest is history.

SATURDAY DECEMBER 3RD

I had been a member of Broadway World and was finding out more about Billy. I then joined the old forum and found out that James was returning for some weekend shows and that George’s last night was going to be December 3rd. I hadn’t thought about trying to get tickets for either performance. However I was in London buying Billy tickets for my Mother and Brother for Christmas presents. As an afterthought I decided to ask if they had any tickets for the matinee they managed to find me one not good the side slips in the upper circle but at least it was a chance to see James perform as I had decided by then that I wanted to see all the originals perform. I then asked about the evening performance and again there was one available this time row A of the stalls.

I knew that there were some people from the forum meeting at the stage door pub, after a bit of hesitation on my part I did approach someone and said hello I think it was Alan Roger. I was immediately put at ease and I thought how friendly everyone was. In the stage door were quite a few young cast members with their parents. I met several other members Celia I think was one. I was then introduced to James’s parents. They were a very nice down to earth friendly couple. Mum was saying that had driven down at 5am in the morning as Dad had been on nights. They hadn’t got tickets. I felt a bit guilty as I had. But said they were going back to their hotel to get a rest and some sleep. She was saying that James was to big for the role now and she felt that he had to go to school and begin to do some work for his GCSE’S as they were not all that far of and whatever James felt they were important.

It was nice to see a different Billy I didn’t really feel that then James was not too big to play Billy. My seat wasn’t at all good and I found the best thing to do was to stand up for part of the time to see properly. It was a different interpretation to George. The dance style was different to George maybe not so balletic as George. His singing voice although broken was very good and very tuneful. Possibly in the beginning James had the best voice. A very tearful letter scene he was still wiping his eyes during born to boogie. Brad was his Michael and they worked well together however it wasn’t such a partnership as George and Brad. An understudy played Mrs W. I was really pleased that I had managed to get James though before he left finally. To sum him up Good voice, good acting skills however his dancing skills were not as versatile as George. I had yet to see Liam perform.
Saturday December 3rd George’s official last night.

Managed to get a seat in row A of the stalls on the day. It was a sudden impulse buy as I was in London to buy tickets for a future show. I went to the matinee in the afternoon as well. It was nice to chat to member of the forum in the pub beforehand Cleary some of the young cast members were in the pub with their parents briefly.

It was clear from the start this was going to be a very special occasion. There were clearly a lot of young cast members in the audience the boys all looking very smart in their suits and the ballet girls all looking far older than they do on the stage in their party clothes. Some of the boys were busy collecting up the stray snow and stuffing it in their pockets no doubt they knew what they wanted to do with it!. Just behind me were two very elderly probably great Grandparents of one of the Billy’s. the Grandmother was so small she had to sit on two cushions to see. Several of us helped her to get cushions, they were possibly either George’s or Liam’s family. Someone who I recognised as one of the Billy’s Mum came over and addressed her as Nana said something about when Liam comes onto the stage.

Stephen Daldry came on stage and said this was a sad occasion because there were losing a lot of cast member Tim Healy Joe Jaffrey and amongst the young cast Lucy Stephenson and most importantly George. Stephen got a bit emotional then and said that George had been with them for over 2 years and they would miss him.

When George first came on he looked a bit down and close to tears, and I was worried as to how he would cope emotionally with his last show, however he generally really held himself together very well and I feel that standard wise he held himself together to produce one of the finest last nights I have seen, and certainly the most emotional.

From the beginning George really gave it his all. He certainly didn’t look to old or too big for the role and his voice sounded fine if a little husky but I understood afterwards that he had been suffering from a cold. Brad played Michael after doing the matinee performance as well. Grandmas song was very good and very tender their was an extra special cuddle from Anne and what looked like a few tears from George as they left the stage and an extra cuddle from Anne. George was very quickly composed for a very special express yourself with Brad smothering George with lipstick much to his amusement. At the end the boys embraced and gave each other a cuddle.

George was working with a different Debbie to normal however you wouldn’t have known it George held the f**ny scene for a long time and a completely straight face. Don’t know all the boys manage to do it. I am sure that they must compete with each other to hold it the longest!

A very tender letter scene that resulted in tears from Hayden from where I was sitting you could see her gently raising her hand to show the MD that she was'nt quite ready to continue. George managed to remain composed. Born to boogie was great fun, The scene were Mrs W gives him the tape was very tender with George just flinging himself around her for a cuddle not really Billy then but George. An extra big cuddle from Hayden and at the same looking over his head to indicate to the MD when they were ready to go on and at the same time comforting George. All this was so discreet that I doubt that anyone beyond the first couple of rows would have noticed it. A wonderful angry dance cheered on by a very enthusiastic young cast, who were with him all the way.

In the interval there seemed to be a whole sea of young Billy’s’ and Michael's wandering around. James and Liam clearly plotting something with the MD.

The second half seemed to go quicker than the first all wonderfully done. A great swan lake, and as for electricity well George was cheered on all the way with cast members shouting out encouragement and huge roar at the end. The biggest grin I have ever seen from George he was just grinning at Tim with such affection almost saying “Look what I have just done Dad”

George managed to get through all the last scenes dry eyed though from where I was sitting I could see lots of encouragement to George from all the cast members extra little touches and trying to jolly him along. In the audition scene when Billy hits the posh boy instead of running to Dad he marched of saying “Just you F******* wait which really made George chuckle” When Billy says goodbye to Michael Brad was really struggling with his emotions as the curtain came down and just at the end he really crumpled and started to sob. Stephen Daldry got out of his seat to give George a hug as he came down the aisle. For once George was dry eyed at the curtain call however there was a lot of jollying along from other cast members trying to make George laugh lots of rather over bright smiles from George. Lots of cuddles to cast members especially the small boy who he scooped up in his arms.

Tim Healy came on stage to say goodbye and ask George’s and Lucy’s parents onto the stage. Lucy’s Mum didn’t come she was in the circle there was much gesturing from Lucy however Mum stood up in the circle and gave her a big wave. As soon as George saw his Mum and Dad approach he stepped away from the cast and you saw a different side from the smiley confident young man. He just snuggled up to Mum and Dad for a great big cuddle. Especially from Dad and I can remember thinking what a lucky boy he was to have such an affectionate Mum and especially Dad who were not at all worried about displaying their affections in public. Then James Liam and Leon were invited into the stage. Lots more cuddles between to 4. One final dance. Then more cuddles clearly the occasion was getting rather too emotional for George and you could see the tears, though probably only a few rows could more curtain calls. Sadly possibly one curtain call too many because the curtain came up to a very distraught George who then had to compose himself for one more bow. I would have sooner not had my last viewing of George seeing such a upset and tearful boy.

I stood for a little while outside the stage door pub after chatting to a few of the others but I don’t really do “ the stage door” preferring to watch from afar so I left before George came out. However I was glad that I had made this sudden decision to see if I could get tickets for George’s last night not realising how lucky I was to get one.

SATURDAY 24TH DECEMEBER CHRISTMAS EVE

I decided at the last minute to see if I could get tickets for the matinee as I said on the forum that Liam would be performing and I wanted to see his as he was the last of the original three that I had to see, also it would be a chance to see another Michael as up until then I had only seen Brad perform.

Liam’s dancing was wonderful so graceful and balletic. His ballet I felt was the most accomplished of the original 3. However I do enjoy the street dance style as well and I missed all the acrobatic movements and the wall flip. I was expecting a lot younger portrayal of Billy and although a bit younger portrayal it was still age appropriate and a young teenager style. His was a lot more composed less emotional Billy than the other two. Ryan by contrast was a lot smaller than Liam and younger looking very much a little boy it was my first introduction to the younger Michael's that we are now seeing. However expressing yourself was still a joy to watch and the boys had such fun doing it.

I was really pleased that I had finally got to see Liam perform and complete my three Billy’s’. By now I had decided that George was my favorite Billy, I liked his style of dance and his portrayal of Billy. Outwardly tough and confident but inwardly quite sensitive and looking for a Mother figure. I felt that of the three he was the one who really lived Billy.
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

Have a lot more so will bore you with them over the next few days.
Mike
Ballet Girl

Post by Mike »

here is a copy of a review from my trip to London last Nov & Dec.

I just returned from my trip to London to see the show and what started out as a trip to see one show and then see the sites around London ended up with me seeing 5 shows and 4 different Billys. ( not sure how many different Michaels and Debbies because that was too much for me to keep up with....LOL) I wish i had been able to see Tanner so i could have saw all the current Billys but i guess you cant have everything..... LOL

It was very interesting to see the different styles that each new person had. I dont really think i have the experience and knowledge to give a good review of the shows i saw so i'll just list the things that stood out to me. (hope that no one takes offense if their performance didnt make a big enough impression to be noticed by me.)

Fox's performance of electricty Thurs nite blew me away and reminded me of why i wanted to return to see the show again after seeing it for the first time last March. He well deserved the praise he recieved from the audiance. I agree with another person who said that the crowd Tues nite really seemed to be a "dead" crowd. After Fox went back onstage and gave Lewis the kiss there were some teenage girls sitting somewhere in the stalls off to the right ( as you are facing the stage) who made it a point to laugh rather loudly at this and as Fox came back down the alise he looked directly at their location as he passed by where i was sitting so i know he heard them. I thought it was very untasteful for them to do this.

Brad was impressive on his opening nite Monday. New comers wouldnt have known it was his first show if they hadnt told them. As someone else has said after he knew he had made it through the show without any major problems he really seemed to relax and enjoy himself. Once he has a few more shows under his belt he will settle into the role fine.

Lewis is a great Michael. He really seemed to help Brad get through his first nite. He really seems relaxed and to be enjoying himself. Shaun also put on a good preformance as Michael sat nite.

I was really impressed with the performances of Phil Whitchruch as dad. His singing of Deep In The Ground was so real it sent chills down your spine. I was able to meet him for a sec outside the stage door sat nite and tell him how much i enjoyed his work.

Ann Emery gave a great preformance every show i saw. She plays the role of grandma so well.

I really think they should have gave all the leaving cast members a better send off than just telling everyone about it before the show.

I also want to say a big thanks to everyone who made me feel welcome. Billy Whiz- your pics are increbile and you should be given credit where credit is due. John H- thanks for letting me tag along with you and Billy Whiz. Johnny C- thanks for the advice and help learning to get around town without getting lost too much. ( funny note to this is that when i returned home i went to the wrong MARTA station to get my car and it took me forever to find it.) Also thanks to the other forum members i met ( sry not too good with names on first meeting). Also i'm glad the new Tony's knees passed approval....LOL

I also want to say a really big thank you to the staff at the Victoria Palace who were so helpful when i became sick Thurs afternoon due to jet lag and prob what seems to be a sineus infection. They also were very pleasant during the other shows i saw and one could only hope every theater has such a good staff.

Hopefully i will get the chance again to see BETM in either Lonodn or NYC. I can only dream about seeing it in Oz. Aus is another country i would love to see.

Thanks again everyone and to the cast : KEEP UP THE EXCELLENT WORK !!!
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

Afew more reviews to bore you with

Saturday 18th February Matinee 2006

My 6th visit to Billy Elliot and the first one for my Mother and Brother. Row A seats 26, 27 and 28. Saw several people in the audience who I thought I recognised from Dec 3rd didn't get a chance to chat to anyone though. I will post my Mum's comments first she is 80. She said she would love to go and see it again but would sit further back next time as her neck hurt at the end. She thought it was a wonderful show. She loved it all she was a little bit disappointed by the audition scene. She didn't realise that it was actually taking place on stage at the opera house. When I asked her about the swearing she said she didn't think there was that much! Especially from the children. I think she had got so absorbed she didn't notice it. I have heard several phone calls to friends about it and quite a few people in church today heard about it from her. She is still chatting about it. My brother just loved it and we are already talking about seeing it again this time from the upper circle we are both on a limited income. Have to persuade him to do it before May 4th so that I get another visit. Will post my review separately.
Saturday 18th February Matinee 2006
Brad
Liam
Brooke
Gillian Mrs Wilkinson
David Saturday 18th Feb matinee. My 6th visit.
Bardsley Dad
Billy's older self Tom

We were in the front row. It was interesting to see that the orchestra had a white board with the name of the boy playing Billy written on it.

It was a great performance from start to finish. Liam was great his acting has improved so much as has his singing. You only have to watch him stand and move to see that he is a trained dancer. He has grown up so
much yet he doesn't seem too tall or too old for the part.
The opening was a great as ever it is such a moving almost anthem type song. I really enjoyed the breakfast scene it was so chaotic it summed up a house in chaos that could do with a women to look after it and them. Gillian was great in shine and I loved seeing all the ballet girls trying to study them all and watching them play their own individual roles.
Anne Emery was as great as ever in We'd go dancing she has such a twinkle in her I and I love the way the relationship with Billy is established. Solidarity is great and all action packed and really tells a story and moves the plot on. Express yourself was fun and I loved the pairing if Brad and Liam having only seen him with George, one small criticism I need feel that some of the funny one liners were rushed and so a bit lost. The tap was great though. I always enjoy the letter scene and the change it brings on the audience contesting with the laughter of the previous item. There is a silence everyone is absorbed apart from the odd sniffles no one even seem to cough. Boon to boogie was great fun My Mum couldn't take her eyes of Mr Braithwaite. I always love the end of this scene when Mrs Wilkinson does her Mother act and helps Billy into his jacket and Billy cuddles her. Liam looked quite moved as this point. The angry dance was great you could really feel the anger and frustration. Merry Christmas great fun there seemed to be fewer jokes at the beginning I was looking forward to supplying the answers to the jokes but somehow missed this. Brad had great fun playing with the Angels hallos. Deep into the ground is one of my favourite songs from the show and David sang it beautifully. Swan Lake was wonderful this was the first time I had seen Tom but I had no worries. He could be a star was great the emotion between Dad and Tony was wonderful. Electricity was very good Liam was great but I must admit I miss the street and gymnastic style of George and James especially the run up the wall. I thought when Dad went to embrace Billy and he just ran away was well done but very sad. Once we were Kings was well done but I felt the bear hug between Dad and Billy was rather rushed. The letter reply was a sad as ever. Brad's final goodbye always brings a lump to the throat. The finale was as great and energetic as ever. A great show sorry this review is so long but I had a lot to say

May 4th 2006
Great performance last night a very enthusiastic audience wonder why?
There were obliviously some friends and family of at least one of the ballet girls in the audience.
Colin In Billy box Liam had great fun pulling faces and sticking out his tongue during the finale.

Liam playing Billy Brooke Debbie and Brad Michael, full cast except for older Billy I think that was played by Tom

The show seemed to flow very well from the start' it may have been a little late starting. Could be due to a disturbance caused by men in pink and purple skirts!

Liam as good as ever, voice even better. He looks so tall now I think they should say he is 13 rather than 12. I am sure he is as tall if not taller than James and George. All the cast seemed on top form. Liam might not be the most emotional of Billy's but he has wonderful facial expressions and makes good use of pauses especially in I'll show you my .......... I think the boys must all have a private competition in seeing how long they can hold the pause!

All the dancing was great; it must have been hot for them all up on the stage. A small criticism in the expressing yourself scene both boys appeared to cut on each others lines rather too quickly also some of the jokes were lost. The angry dance was very good such stamina.

Second half seemed to go very quickly, a great electricity. As usual found deep into the ground very moving it is really a gem of a song.

Wasn't sure about change at the end of audition scene especially when posh boy flew into his fathers arms I preferred the response just you F.....
Wait. Finale great fun. It was nice to really concentrate on the other characters having seen the show several times. Looking forward to May 12th June 3rd times two and then another performance for a friends 50th birthday in October.

Really nice to chat to Et go home in the interval.

Gala Performance 1st Birthday

What a fantastic time was had by all. You could feel the atmosphere as soon as you got to the theatre. A queue of the younger cast members were outside the theatre obviously on a high the chaperones were trying to get them all into the theatre without losing any on the way. Ticket front row of upper circle. Haven’t sat here for a long time but you did get a very good overall view of the stage if you can only afford a cheap ticket go for this first time round then try front row of stalls. People have given very detailed reviews so will post some random observations hope they all make sense.

I managed to miss James and George running around at the beginning also when they were sceneshifters etc during ballet school auditions. The ballet girls were great they really pushed George around a lot. It would take a very brave boy to stay in a class with that lot! Hope the girls in the boys own ballet classes were a bit nicer! George responded to the pushing around with lots of wonderful glares. Not sure quite how long George waited to reply in the f**ny scene but it was a long time! Loved George’s interaction with Haydn when she gave home the tape. You could really feel the sadness for a young boy who missed his Mum and the cuddles and affection that she gave him. Then angry dance was fantastic I had forgotten quite how good it was also how graceful and fluid George was with his ballet. Liked the spontaneous cuddles when he got his acceptance of his place at the ballet school. Would like to have heard his sing a bit more. George is a very talented actor but we mustn’t forget his singing and dancing talents. I felt that he hadn’t altered all that much since I last saw him on Dec 3rd and still didn’t look out of place playing the part.

I felt James had altered most of the Billy’s he just looked so much more grown up. He seemed to have filled out. His acting skills were superb and he did the reply in such a sensitive way. He seemed quite overcome with emotion at the end. I loved expressing yourself the tap was spot on and they both seemed to have such fun. I always like Brad as Michael he always plays him with a lot of depth. It was a shame that we didn’t get to see some of Jame’s superb gymnastic skills.

Liam was as fantastic as ever he seems to grow a bit every time I see him but is still able to carry of the part of a young teenager. I loved his grin at the end of electricity it was a big as George had at the same time on his official last night. I just don’t know how he put in such a consistent high standard all the time. His ballet is so superb it would be a great shame if he didn’t return to the royal ballet.

Overall a wonderful evening wish I could see it all over again so that I could see the bits I missed.

I went with a friend who was seeing it for the second time, she saw it in August and slough she enjoyed it she wasn’t widely impressed however by the interval she decided that is must have been an of evening for the cast on her first viewing as she now thought it was wonderful.

Matinee June 3rd

It was nice to find that I was sitting alongside two members of the forum Jess and her /Mum from South Wales. It was nice to chat to them.

People have posted such wonderful reviews that I will just give a few random thoughts.

Liam Brad And Brooke.

My 8th time of seeing Brad. I love his portrayal of Michael so confident and happy. Yet at other times so vulnerable and unsure of himself, and as for that dress well you can’t say it makes his look attractive but it is so him! The costumes the other two wear are not quite so ridiculous. Even the gloves only he could get away with them. He just doesn’t really suit women’s clothing! His voice is as wonderful as ever but certainly very different from the cast recording unfortunately I think he could be the next Michael to go. I feel he has really studied his Michael.

Liam What can I say he seems to improve every time I see him. His dancing continues to improve he is much less the little rather bewildered little boy that he first portrayed very much the young man. He seems so strong. He is constantly aware of what is going on, on the stage and responds to it. I honestly can’t really fault any scene though I would say that although they seemed to be having a great time the express yourself scene didn’t go with the same gusto as, say George and Brad used to do or Joey and Leon later in the day. He really held the f**ny line for as long as possible with a completely straight face. He seemed to be more emotionally moved at the various sad bits than I have ever seen him particularly at the letter response. A little thing I noticed was that he didn’t actually drink much milk unlike George on the 12th he managed to down the whole bottle.

I felt the whole show went with a buzz. The audience seemed to be very responsive. I think there was a whole party of people of mixed ages behind us and they were having a wonderful time laughing and giggling particularly at the f**ny line. The cast all seemed very tuned in and were all-keen to have a great time.

One final question has anyone noticed the name of the office block alongside the stage door. I will leave it to my next posting for the answer!

June 3rd part two

For those who wondered about the name of the office block it is actually Elliot house! This has probably been mentioned elsewhere but I noticed it for the first time last night.

I was really pleased that it was Leon performing it was good for him to have a special show as joining later he has seemed to miss out a bit in the attention the original 3 got. I was pleased for anther reason I had only seen the original 3 Billy’s this is between Sep and now 10 viewings. Leon was one I was very keen to see also Joey as I have mainly seen Brad. I wasn’t a bit disappointed.

Emma the first time I had seen her, I really enjoyed her interpretation of Debbie a more mature Debbie I felt than either Brooke or Lucy. Despite being very emotional from the start she maintained her character very well. She didn’t rush her lines and was very clear. I loved the way she spent ages during the Christmas party trying to open her present urged on I might add by her on stage companions. I loved the extra peck on the cheek when she said goodbye to Leon.

Joey what can I say that smile which was there nearly all the time. I loved his skirt in express yourself he really made rather a sweet little girl! His outfit wasn’t as hideous as Brad’s dress. Express yourself was just such fun to watch. You could really sense just how well the two boys got on and what a ball they were having. For working well together as a team and bouncing of each other it reminded me of the George and Brad partnership. I loved the contrast between express yourself and the winter scene, which was really well done. There were understandably tears at the end but he was very quickly over them and back to his smiley self in the finale. From where I was sitting I could see him dancing away in the wings. When Leon came of stage they gave each other a cuddle in the wings whilst waiting to go on.

Leon was just as I had hoped I wasn’t in the least bit disappointed. I loved his dancing especially his ballet he was so fast and strong. His Billy was different again a very cool and laid back and well adjusted. Only very rarely showing glimpse of anger then very quickly over them. A sensible and mature Billy who seems to be coping as well as he could with the situation he is in and what life has thrown to him. Maybe the only person who his Billy could really open out to was Michael and gradually Mrs Wilkinson. Loved the embrace with her it was a real boy just seeking some comfort. I thought his angry dance was really good. Loved the ending back flip to Electricity not sure if I have seen that tucked back flip before. Loved the way he peered into the mirror and the look and giggle when he saw what Joey had done to him. I think he had a bit of difficulty emotionally in getting through a few of the sad scenes. He held himself together very well emotionally. Even at the end during the letter reprise when clearly he was overcome with emotion he managed to get through that song. You could see that when he was facing the back of the stage he was trying very hard to wipe the tears away this made it all the more poignant. Loved the hug to Joey after the goodbye kiss. It must have been a very lonely walk up the aisle for him. Like Joey he very quickly become the smiley Leon again and really enjoyed the finale.

A few other thoughts great as both Phil and David are I still love Tim’s deep into the ground. I always found that so moving. Anne Emery was as great as ever she really seems to relish the part and has such fun. She appears to have such a good relationship with the boys. Just like a special Grandma really.

I was really sorry to see Haydn go she is such a great Mrs Wilkinson caustic but with a real heart of gold. Loved the way she gave the boys the cuddle she seemed to give a slightly different cuddle for each boy. Definitely on Dec 3rd she was cuddling a boy who was really upset about his term as Billy coming to and end.

I still don’t like the new end to the audition scene. Think the bear hug is special to Billy and his Dad. Loved it when the posh boy just glared at his and said “ just you f**king wait.” Felt this was the sort of response you would have got in that sort of situation.

Great evening would have been nice top have seen a nice goodbye on stage from the cast to Haydn and Joey and Emma. But maybe they didn’t want it. Shame George and Phil weren’t there but am sure that they had very good reasons.

Great evening possibly not quite as emotional as 3rd December but then that was very emotional.

Great to meet so many members of the forum. Hope to meet you all again soon. Will probably try and stick to finishing nights now as can’t afford to keep on going. Please post as soon as we know for definite when people are leaving and they are happy for it to be announced.
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

Thursday 17th August Matinee.
Leon
Shaun
Leyci
Gillian.

Queued up for day tickets was successful despite arriving quite a bit later than intended as there were all sorts of problems on the Victoria lie so had to change at Kings cross and the train went very slowly to there took a lot longer than usual and kept on stopping in the tunnel. It took overall nearly an hour for a 35-minute journey. Forgot about having to pay with credit card as I was going to use some of my theatre tokens, still no problem can always use them some other time. Theatre seemed to fill up very quickly sometime before the show started.

It was nice to see Jess and her Mum from Wales even though I had a side seat in the dress circle. I was disappointed not to see Sally for the first time, will have to make another visit! I didn’t find fault with the new lines though Leyci did appear to slip up slightly at one time. I was interested to hear about James appearing as a stagehand I thought it looked like him but then decided it was me not really paying attention.

It was a really great show. Leon was spot on right from the beginning is it me or has he grown since June 3rd he looked bigger and older to me. Not sure of the small boys name but he was really small he delivered the w***** line with great gusto. Shaun looked really tiny when he first arrived on the stage. It would be quite amusing to see him perform with Liam like a little and large show. Loved watching all the different ballet girls they all have developed very good characters. Gillian was really good, as Mrs Wilkinson have seen her perform this role quite a few times now. Expressing yourself was great fun but again it didn’t really catch the jokes. Usually heard the question but not the punch line, don’t know if they are delivered too fast or the background music is overloud. Have found this quite a bit though when I first went to the show and saw George and Brad I did catch them. Letter scene was very well done with lots of good facial expressions and suppressed and hidden emotions. The angry dance was really good probably not as much anger in it as some I have seen.

The winter scene went well Shaun seems to be putting more emotion into it now. Leon managed to kick his chair over during Swan Lake but he very quickly recovered his movements were very strong you could really see him as a male ballet dancer in a few years time. Prefer the posh boy running to his Father in the audition scene. Though I still prefer just you f**** wait. Dancer from Glasgow today not Walthamstow maybe not politically correct to say you are from Walthamstow at this time! Electricity was fantastic and it had the biggest round of applause of the afternoon. I agree with all the remarks about Leon’s dancing it is very strong and manly. His singing voice is still very good. His actual speaking voice is quite a bit deeper. He is still small enough for the part but he is looking older. I hope that he carries on for as long as possible still with GCSE’s looming next year he might decide to not stay too long. It was great to see the show again hope to have a repeat viewing possibly in September.
bubsycm
Debbie

Post by bubsycm »

Loving these old reviews, thanks.
Charlotte x

Return to “Reviews Archive”