Electricity sung in which keys by which Billies?

Is the Music live? Where are auditons held?
Eltonjohn
Miner

Electricity sung in which keys by which Billies?

Post by Eltonjohn »

Has anyone been able to note which keys the various boys sing in?

For example, Liam sings the signature piece Electricity in A. (Whereas I, the composer, sing it in a key that's a few tones lower)

It would be interesting to see which key is / keys are the most common among the population of Billy's.
BETM: "the most expensive school play ever."
Lee Hall
in Playbill October 2008
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Electricity sung in which keys by which Billies?

Post by ERinVA »

Please post your questions about the show in the section for questions about the show. I am going to move this thread to that section.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Eltonjohn wrote:Has anyone been able to note which keys the various boys sing in?

For example, Liam sings the signature piece Electricity in A. (Whereas I, the composer, sing it in a key that's a few tones lower)

It would be interesting to see which key is / keys are the most common among the population of Billy's.
You can buy the songbook for BETM. I assume that the version of "Electricity" in the book is the one in the key that is most commonly used. Actually, "Electricity" is not the only song whose key has to be modified, nor is it the most challenging as far as higher notes go. The biggest vocal challenges for Billys in that regard are the ending of "Deep Into the Ground," and the two performances of "The Letter." As for what the specific keys are, I think you would need to ask the Musical Director at a performance.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

I think there is an "ideal" key(no idea what it is) but almost EVERY Billy would start dropping keys near the end(down to whatever key David was singing at the end being the record low). Billys having a bad voice night have even been known to flat out speak lyrics. I'll bet on average that "ideal " key is used less then you'd think. And pacing is unique to each Billy, it almost NEVER sounds like the pure song on the cd. Well literally it wouldn't with that added refrain(grrrr).
Eltonjohn
Miner

Post by Eltonjohn »

I just got the OC CD. I think it must have been recorded in a studio without all the dancing going on simultaneously, does anyone know for sure?
Lee Hall
in Playbill October 2008
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Correct. It was a studio recording with a full orchestra and a supplemental chorus from the Metro Voices. I believe if you read the liner notes, you will see that the executive producers of the album are Phil Ramone and Elton John. One of the reasons there was never a Broadway cast recording is presumably that because of sparing no expense (Ramone, orchestra, Metro Voices, etc.) on this one, the company decided not to do a Broadway one.
Ellen

Eltonjohn
Miner

Post by Eltonjohn »

ERinVA wrote:It was a studio recording with a full orchestra and a supplemental chorus from the Metro Voices.
I most appreciate the fact that the soloists are not short of breath from dancing up a storm, esp. for Electricity.
Lee Hall
in Playbill October 2008

Return to “Information/Questions about BETM”