Site Moderator

Publicity for Hartford

Post by kport »

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Publicity for Hartford

Post by porschesrule »

Here's Noah Parets and Janet Dickinson appearing on the Hartford Fox TV news morning show today:

http://foxct.com/2013/06/19/billy-ellio ... -bushnell/
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Sorry, but this is my last chance to complain about the publicity associated with the tour. Billy Elliot The Musical is a multi-layered, complex show, and the publicity centers around the "Billy Jump", which almost never is part of the show. I don't think that anyone ever goes to the show because they want to see the jump. The purpose of publicity is to increase attendance. The tour's publicity failed to do this in most cities.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

accessmenj wrote:Sorry, but this is my last chance to complain about the publicity associated with the tour. Billy Elliot The Musical is a multi-layered, complex show, and the publicity centers around the "Billy Jump", which almost never is part of the show. I don't think that anyone ever goes to the show because they want to see the jump. The purpose of publicity is to increase attendance. The tour's publicity failed to do this in most cities.
The Billys and a major adult cast member are not trained to be publicists. Noah and Janet had to be at the tv station about nine hours after performing a full performance last night. There simply would not be time to rehearse and execute a lengthier skit for an early morning local news interview. In the past, longer interviews allowed several boys to dance part of 'Expressing Yourself' for the local tv outlets, but morning local news programs tend to like shorter snippets (three minutes or less)....with a bit a banter from the Billy and the adult cast member (local connections are an added bonus), a bit of self-deprecation from the local news person, and having a go with the 'Billy Jump' seems to be about as far as they can go, with limited time, during a brief week in any venue. The longer interviews I recall in the past happened under the old management, when the tour stayed in one place for several weeks. I do not know whether the SETA contract restricts the scope of publicity appearances.

That aside, there is a simple connection to using this old chestnut of an interview: all around Bushnell the image on posters and electronic signs is of the 'Billy Jump' (some will be glad to read that they are using the newer, non-ASBO version!).........by relating the jump at a tv interview with the first image the public will see is merely good publicity thinking. But I agree: it presents a somewhat facile image of a multi-layered story.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

A very positive notice from the local Middletown Press:

http://middletownpress.com/articles/201 ... 880058.txt
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »