Les Misérables

Chat about other shows here
athadj
Miner

Re: Les Misérables

Post by athadj »

I was pretty surprised to see that Nick Jonas was Marius at the concert. Out of all the people that have played the part I can't believe they chose him. Did they really think they would need a celebrity to be in the show??
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
*Lottie*
Tony

Post by *Lottie* »

Nick did 3 weeks at the Queen's theatre in June/July in preparation for the o2 concert.
Personally I dont believe Nick's voice is 'weak' it just doesn't have the range of the other cast members because he is not a trained musical theatre performer, and I think this should be considered when he is judged. Taking this into account I don't think he could have done a better job. I'm glad Cameron Mackintosh gave him the chance.
Charlotte

The Musical Vs The Film - " there's more depth & passion to it" - Scott Mckenzie 9.3.11
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

*Lottie* wrote:Personally I dont believe Nick's voice is 'weak'
When Michael Ball sang at the end of the concert there was huge rapturous applause. It was really noticeable then how incredibly weak Nick's voice was in comparison. Jonas has been absolutely slated on some message boards by the vast majority of those who went. In my opinion he acted it 'okay', but I don't think most people would even agree with that.

When most of the tickets were £150+, I think the audience members deserved someone of a higher quality. Les Miserables is not a show which needs to rely on 'names' to draw in the crowds. In fact, I actually wouldn't be surprised if Jonas actually had the opposite effect and put some people off going.

All that sounds awfully negative. It really was an amazing night overall.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

*Lottie* wrote:Nick did 3 weeks at the Queen's theatre in June/July in preparation for the o2 concert.
Personally I dont believe Nick's voice is 'weak' it just doesn't have the range of the other cast members because he is not a trained musical theatre performer, and I think this should be considered when he is judged. Taking this into account I don't think he could have done a better job. I'm glad Cameron Mackintosh gave him the chance.
Actually, Nick performed on Broadway as a child.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Jonas
Jonas's career started when he was discovered at the age of 6 in a barber shop while his mother was getting her hair cut and was referred to a professional show business manager.[15][16] At the age of 7, he began performing on Broadway.[17][18] He had acted in several plays, including A Christmas Carol (in 2000 as Tiny Tim and Scrooge at eight), Annie Get Your Gun (in 2001 as Little Jake), Beauty and the Beast (in 2002 as Chip), and Les Misérables (in 2003 as Gavroche).[18][19][20][21] After Les Misérables closed, he performed in The Sound of Music (as Kurt) at the Paper Mill Playhouse.[22]
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
*Lottie*
Tony

Post by *Lottie* »

I know he did. Hes no stranger too it. But he hasnt done it for a long time.
I'm not going to comment further tbh everyone has an opinion
Charlotte

The Musical Vs The Film - " there's more depth & passion to it" - Scott Mckenzie 9.3.11
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Well they showed the concert at theaters lastnight...amazing. I agree with most responses above...Nick did better in the second act but didnt hold the notes long enough most of the time and CANT belt, he acted fairly good. But when Ball started singing, well after 25 years he still shamed him. I should have known Madge was a former Dodger...pretty obvious the way he acted...best Gavroche i ever saw. Kicked myself not recognizing the guy from LND...tsk but i thought id seen him before amazing voice. Last time i saw LM in london it felt WAY tired and i didnt have any reaction emotionally to it...this time i sobbed(even without the Gavroche death scene) so the old magic was back!!(There is no better original cast i think to any musical ALL were perfect so ending was even better then the main concert!)

Steven
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

I have been reliably informed that one of the Nippers from 'Oliver' is going to be a 'Gavroche'......(yes one Nipper is going into Love Never Dies as Gustave and another into Les Mis!!).
jon01
Miner

Post by jon01 »

Matt Lucas to play Thénardier from summer 2011

Three new Gavroche's have now started at the Queens, Sebastian Croft, Daniel Huttlestone and Oliver Gilmartin. All three performed in the recent West End Oliver! production

Jon
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

jon01 wrote:Matt Lucas to play Thénardier from summer 2011

Three new Gavroche's have now started at the Queens, Sebastian Croft, Daniel Huttlestone and Oliver Gilmartin. All three performed in the recent West End Oliver! production

Jon

I saw Daniel Huttlestone play Gavroche for what was his second showing in that role on 26th January. Although I have seen Les Mis tons of times I still marvel at its brilliance and could easily see it at least once a month.
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

Not precisely sure my comments belong here, but, thought I'd give it a shot, anyway. I was fortunate to travel into Chicago last evening to see the touring company's presentation of Les Miserables which is being presented for a very brief run at the Cadillac Theater. Why I thought I might be disappointed with a touring company's performance, I just don't know. I guess it may have had something to do with being advertised without the rotating stage and almost total restructuring of the staging, as well as different orchestration, as compared to the original, most of which remains memorable to all of us.
Wow, was I ever blown away. I can't even begin to express what a superb Les Mis this is. Of course, the music speaks for itself and, if nothing else, draws all of us to the theater to see this musical. I can't even begin to describe all the variations and differences in staging that went on during this production...I would have had to take notes to remember it all, but it was thoroughly engaging, extremely well conceived, dramatic and flawless in it's changes from scenes to scenes...and to me, simply eye opening compared to the original.
I would just like to say, for anyone who may be thinking you might be disappointed about seeing a "touring" company, particularly given the enormity of Les Mis, I want to encourage you to go see this production if it comes to your city. It will be as though you're seeing the musical for the very first time and I'm convinced you will be as favorably impressed as I am. Have confidence you will see a production that will rekindle your love for this dramatic musical. Kindest regards, Colin

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”