Les Misérables

Chat about other shows here
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Re: Les Misérables

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

cws8998 wrote:Of course, the music speaks for itself and, if nothing else, draws all of us to the theater to see this musical.
Not everyone - personally, i'd want to be paid to sit through it again, and find the music ridiculously overrated :lol:
x
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

I just got the O2 concert on DVD- wow, wow, wow!!! What a fantastic, emotional night. And I LOVE the music - what amazing talent and very memorable songs!

And, so I booked a ticket to see Les Mis when it comes to Baltimore at the beginning of March - it has been a very, very long time since last I saw it, and I can't believe my luck that it is coming here so soon!

Can't wait
maria

PS No sign of BETMUS Tour making it's way to Baltimore or Washington DC. I fear these cities are too close to NYC... Sigh...
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
Gburr
Audience Member

Post by Gburr »

I saw the 25th anniversary tour when it was in Philadelphia back in January. It was good, but I didn't really care for the changes. They did incorporate video for the sewer scenes which is cool. I guess I was slightly let down because I was expecting Les Mis in all of its glory and the new tour just didn't do it for me. I would still suggest it though. Javert is terrific.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Westletonion wrote:
jon01 wrote:Matt Lucas to play Thénardier from summer 2011

Three new Gavroche's have now started at the Queens, Sebastian Croft, Daniel Huttlestone and Oliver Gilmartin. All three performed in the recent West End Oliver! production

Jon

I saw Daniel Huttlestone play Gavroche for what was his second showing in that role on 26th January. Although I have seen Les Mis tons of times I still marvel at its brilliance and could easily see it at least once a month.
I went to see Les Mis again on Saturday evening and was fortunate to see Danny play 'Gavroche'. He was an excellent 'Nipper' and he seemed very comfortable, confident and natural in this new role - it made it so much harder when he dies - having had the opportunity to meet him and his family a few times!

The show was awesome with a fabulous cast. I absolutely LOVED Samantha Barks as 'Eponine' and Lucie Jones as 'Cosette'. It made my night to meet them both at the stage door - they seemed really nice.

Jonathan Williams was an excellent Jean Valjean and Norm Lewis a powerful Javert. I felt Gareth Gates voice had improved since I saw him on the tour too.

I have booked tickets for July with the aim of seeing Alfie Boe & Matt Lucas. Can't wait.
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

For any of you Les Miz fans out there..! May I strongly recommend that should you see advertised the "concert" version of the show being presented on your Public Broadcasting Station in your area celebrating the 25th anniversary of the musical, that you spend an evening watching it. In my own opinion, it was absolutely spectacular, performed in the UK, in front of what had to be a number of thousands of enthusiastic and cheering fans who were presented a treat, I'm sure, they will long remember. I've seen the show more than a half dozen times in musical theater, but this Public performance had to be "grand" beyond anyone's anticipation...certainly my own, and viewed in HDTV, it moved me emotionally as much as I ever remember it do so on stage. Any way, just a thought and recommendation I'd share with you. Regards, Colin Stetson
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

Colin,

I cannot agree with you more. I bought the DVD of the 25th Anniversary concert after hearing folks rave about it on this forum, and I found it emotionally compelling and breathtaking and AMAZING! Was excited to see it made it to PBS last night.

In the meantime, I caught the US tour when it came to Baltimore last week. It was a terrific show, and every bit as emotionally exhausting as the concert, though the concert has its own unique features that make it completely memorable, and I am happy I got the DVD.

Meanwhile, it is safe to say that the show is in good hands on the US tour!

maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I have been watching the 25th Anniversary Concert performance on my PBS station this evening. Wonderful! Alfie Bowe just sang "Bring Him Home." How GORGEOUS!!! I even got a glimpse of Phil Snowden a bit earlier too. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

Before my addiction to BETM I was nuts for Les Miz. In 1985 I was living in the Boston area and began a bi-monthly run to New York to see Les Miz. I can't express how much I loved that show. Beginning in 1987 It came to Boston every year for 5 years ,so I was able to see it a total of 23 times. During one of the shows in Boston DISASTER STRUCK as Gavroche climbs over the barricade to collect ammunition the stage began to turn but got stuck- everything continued but you could not see the other side as Gavroche gets killed. The stage turns back and they continue -when all the men get shot and they are hanging by their feet and legs - again the turn table gets stuck. They are just hanging there and hanging there til finally they had to lower the curtain so they could free themselves and then bring it back up for the scene with just Javert. I felt bad for the audience having to miss the heart pounding drama of those scenes. I remember how I would get all quivery just before that wonderful show began waiting to hear the bum bum, bump a bum can you hear it?

The 25th anniversary show is finally coming to St Louis and I am going to see it Oct 28. It has been 20 years - I can't wait.
Wowzell
Tall Boy

Post by Wowzell »

The Les Misérables film is due to be released in the UK on 11th January 2013.

This interesting video clip - http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/film_inf ... lc_news_uk - shows how the cast sung all the music live on set, and didn't record it in a studio beforehand. Not many - if any - musical films have been made in this way before. Also, a large amount of the film was shot about 20 minutes from where I live 8-)
London: Harris x2, Adam x1, Kaine x1.

'In everything you do, always be yourself... and you always will be true'
Sinatra
Miner

Post by Sinatra »

Saw the musical in Madison. Loved every minute of it. It can be described with one overused word: epic. The story is obviously brilliant, it has familiar solo numbers, the ensemble numbers are beautiful, the set is innovative, and the characters are all so colorful. You think I'm excited for the movie?!? YEAH!
"You have a life. Use it well."

Here's my expansive and illustrious Billy Elliot track-record:
Madison, WI (first-time): Noah Parets
Milwaukee, WI: Ben Cook

London: Elliott Hanna, Bradley Perret

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”