'Lord of the Flies' UK Tour - 2014

Chat about other shows here
jdmag44
Michael

Re: 'Lord of the Flies' UK Tour - 2014

Post by jdmag44 »

It is somewhat hard to imagine Lord of the Flies the Musical. There was not much singing or dancing in the book other than savage rituals. But then who would have imagined Les Misirables the musical and look what was done with that!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Golding's subliminal message behind the plot of Lord of the Flies is man's descent from good to evil, originating from the story of Adam and the Fall in the Garden of Eden. He cast school-age boys as the protagonists; his job as a schoolmaster at Bishop Wordsworth Grammar School, on the edges of Salisbury Cathedral Close (his later novel 'The Spire' was taken from the cathedral's spire, the tallest anywhere), gave him a point of reference with which he could cast the most innocent as characters - children. The use of choirboys as those who first 'fall' came from his observations, from his classroom, of the playground of the Cathedral Choir School next door. He noticed how the 'supposedly innocent' choristers could behave like bloody savages when having free time away from the almost incessant supervision of schoolmasters and choir director. The grammar school boys he taught were local lads and of a lower social class than the choristers (who would be destined to go on to Public (capital P) schools). His pupils would be more worldly and sensible, and able to adapt to new challenges; hence the island would pose them with a challenge, whereas the choristers perceived it as a frightening threat. The head chorister (Jack) would have quasi-adult authority over his juniors and expect - and receive - their obedience; hence Jack found it almost impossible to accept that other children would not see him in that role, or that Ralph would be chosen leader over him. The Fall would not be without social tensions.

In one fascinating novel, Golding brought the entire British class system into this tale, and wrote a story which can - and has - been analysed on many different levels. A Common Entrance student might have a different take on it than a GSCE one, or his father; a miner would interpret it differently from a Queen's Counsel. Yet it possesses the quality of being able to relate to all.

I think a production using teenagers or young men defeats Golding's purpose and intent: the idea is the loss of absolute innocence when authority and experience are suddenly removed and replaced by the unknown. The island becomes the choristers' unsupervised playground. Older teenagers are not seen to possess the supposed 'pure innocence' of pre-teens; they have 'tasted of the fruit' and have already had their eyes opened to much of the world. I would not choose to go to a performance using older teens or adults who have passed adolescence; it would have little relationship to Golding's intent. I suppose I would feel differently if I did not know the real plot and setting.

By the way, I thought the American film version was a travesty (though far more technically sophisticated); give me the rough Peter Brook black and white version with music by Raymond Leppard any time; its spare use of modern technology and cinematic rough edges enhance this allegorical tale of the loss of innocence. Even the BBC or Channel 4 have not contemplated a remake of the film, which is viewed as a classic of its type.

Apologies for the mini-essay!
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

Agree on every point Bill. Excellent explanation of a great classic piece of writing.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

The thing is, this production is not a play. It's a ballet. This, plus the fact that is is a Matthew Bourne piece, means that it is not going to be bound to strictly interpreting everything about the novel. I love the book "Lord of the Flies," but I expect Bourne's production to take creative license with the story. However, I am willing to bet that the ballet will get Golding's point across just fine. If you want to see the story interpreted as a mostly faithful reproduction of the story, then rent one of the film versions. If you want to see something highly creative, then book a ticket to the ballet.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

This may give a better idea of what it will be like than the previous clip in the first post: from Lord of the Flies (New Adventures) stage show promo 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqffS-_9LDw

It will certainly be interesting.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for that link, kport. It looks as though the local boys are very well integrated into the production, with the principal roles, who would be the older boys anyway, taken by the professionals. I see Dominic North as one of the leads in that original production, although from the video, it's not clear which character he is. I expect that he played Ralph, but I could be wrong.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Again ballet not play, rather huge difference. I think they can get across the main themes rather well with only dance if done well and ALL of Bourne's work is as close to theater as you can get minus spoken words. The fall from civilization to savagery really does lend itself to dance in my opinion and the story itself is fairly simple(and also one of the most important books any person should read imho). As too the ages of the dancers well again its a ballet SUPER heavy in acting so no choice there but the main theme works with older people...I'll admit not as well but it works. On the movies the American version was okish but it dropped the ever so important British class subtext that I guess us Americans wouldn't understand :roll: so yea the first one is better. Of course the whole story is about as depressing as you can get but an important commentary on the importance of "civilization" though from a VERY British point of view.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I guess the best way to "vote" against the production is not to see it. I would love to see it, and would have no reservations about doing so, but since "Swan Lake" will be playing at a much closer venue while I'm in London, I am going to see that instead.
Ellen

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

A local lad from Altrincham will take part in 'Lord of the Flies':

http://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/ne ... ?ref=var_0

Isn't it wonderful how all of these wonderful opportunities for young male dancers almost always cite the influence of 'Billy Elliot'?
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Well, he'll get the opportunity to dance with a real Billy as part of the show. :D
Ellen

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”