'Lord of the Flies' UK Tour - 2014

Chat about other shows here
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

'Lord of the Flies' UK Tour - 2014

Post by kport »

Matthew Bourne's New Adventures group will be presenting 'Lord of the Flies' on a UK Tour in 2014. NEW ADVENTURES has produced some of the most successful dance theatre productions of the last 25 years including Swan Lake, Nutcracker!, Cinderella and last year’s sell out hit Sleeping Beauty.

Now the company brings to the stage a thrilling new dance production of William Golding’s classic novel Lord of the Flies. The action is transferred from deserted island to deserted theatre. A group of schoolboys find themselves abandoned. With no adults around they start to make their own rules and create their own civilisation, before order breaks down and the story builds to an electrifying climax.

With a cast of New Adventures dancers and remarkable young talent from across the UK, Golding’s legendary characters are brought to life with raw energy, emotional intensity and breathtaking performances. Chilling, beautiful and hugely entertaining, Lord of the Flies will enthrall Bourne fans and inspire a generation of new audiences.

Choreographed by Olivier Award-nominated Scott Ambler, set and costume design by Olivier Award-winner Lez Brotherston, music by Terry Davies, lighting design by Chris Davey, sound design by Paul Groothuis, adapted and directed by Olivier and Tony award-winner Matthew Bourne and Scott Ambler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCnQHl7FDY#t=32

Dates are:

SALFORD QUAYS | LOWRY
Wednesday, 02 April 2014 to Saturday, 05 April 2014

PLYMOUTH | THEATRE ROYAL
Wednesday, 30 April 2014 to Sunday, 04 May 2014

BIRMINGHAM | HIPPODROME
Wednesday, 14 May 2014 to Saturday, 17 May 2014

INVERNESS | EDEN COURT
Wednesday, 28 May 2014 to Saturday, 31 May 2014

GLASGOW | THEATRE ROYAL
Wednesday, 11 June 2014 to Saturday, 14 June 2014

ABERDEEN | HIS MAJESTY'S
Wednesday, 27 August 2014 to Saturday, 30 August 2014

LIVERPOOL | EMPIRE
Wednesday, 10 September 2014 to Saturday, 13 September 2014

CANTERBURY | MARLOWE THEATRE
Wednesday, 24 September 2014 to Saturday, 27 September 2014

CARDIFF | WALES MILLENNIUM CENTRE
Wednesday, 22 October 2014 to Saturday, 25 October 2014

NEWCASTLE | THEATRE ROYAL
Wednesday, 05 November 2014 to Saturday, 08 November 2014

BRADFORD | ALHAMBRA
Wednesday, 03 December 2014 to Saturday, 06 December 2014

http://www.new-adventures.net/productio ... lies/about
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 'Lord of the Flies' UK Tour - 2014

Post by porschesrule »

joninfinity wrote:it appears that the 'young people' are not near as young as those in William Golding's inspired novel. That's a shame really, it would've been nice to see another dance project of this sort available for 'Billy Elliot' aged performers;
I suspect part of the reasoning behind this is that Bourne's dance company is mainly a repertory type entity. Projects he creates usually serve to keep members of that company working.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

That was the first thing I noticed too . . .the "children" in the trailer who looked to be in their 20's. Kind of took me back to some of the films and TV shows over the years who portray high school classrooms filled with actors who look old enough to be the high schoolers' parents. Which brings me to another curiosity: the odd decision of producers to continue casting adult women to play the part of Peter in "Peter Pan."

But I digress. Back to "Lord of the Flies" . . . . .
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

If you read the description of Bourne's production, you'll see that the story has been modified a bit. Also, apparently, the professional company is adding in young people (but not children) who aren't pro's (or at least that's the impression I get). It should be interesting. As for the ages of the performers, of course, adults taking the roles of children is nothing new in the world of theatre and dance. What about "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown," for example, or the "older kids" in "Matilda"?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

From Euston Station in London, it takes about an hour and a half to Birmingham by train.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Of course, you could see Bourne's Swan Lake during your London visit also. It will be at the Swan Theatre in High Wycombe from 13 May to 17 May, and the train journey from Marylebone Station in London takes less than an hour.
Ellen

StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

I think this is easily one of the most important books everyone should read even if it's about as depressing as you can get with that lesson of how close we all are to savagery. Really an inspired idea to put it to dance! The mix of kids and young adults looks ok...Imagine Revolting Children taken to the ultimate extreme, Literally :lol:
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

This local online news source for the Lancashire region has an interesting paragraph that gives some clue as to how boys will be found - and trained - for the Lord of the Flies Tour:

On January 16, six boys from Year 6 of Bolton-le-Sands Primary School had the opportunity to take part in a Lord of the Flies dance workshop at St Michael’s C of E High School in Chorley. The event was organised by Matthew Bourne’s celebrated dance company. Matthew is a renowned dance choreographer whose dance company featured in the film Billy Elliot. Talented individuals were given the chance to be involved in a dance production of Lord of the Flies at the Lowry Theatre in Salford.

http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/news/commun ... -1-6389632
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

The casting has been announced for "Lord of the Flies" and includes another former Billy -- Layton Williams:

http://www.new-adventures.net/latest_ne ... _the_flies
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Auditions for young men (ages 10-25), with no previous dance experience required, will be held in each area where the tour will play. Here are the details:

http://www.new-adventures.net/productio ... etinvolved

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”