May 2014 Reviews

Reviews of the show
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: May 2014 Reviews

Post by patc »

9th Birthday show

I won't be near a computer til Thursday and I can't type properly on these wretched tablets so this will have to be short. Matteo had a brilliant debut albeit he had to retire during MCMT due to illness. Superb dancing, singing and acting with a voice and eyes to die for he demonstrated that the company has found yet another gem...and we still have his Electricity to look forward to. The power and passion of Angry Dance was top class. New Debbie Kyria also excelled on her debut as did new tiny Small Boy Liam.

Zach A was sheer class.

Great to see Barnaby and Phil back among an impressive new cast and the show is in good hands for the future.

A really fantastic night was greatly enhanced by the presence of Stephen Daldry who very generously gave of his time to the fans outside after the show during which he expressed his appreciation for continued support.

Finally , kudos to mercurial Mitchell for coming on with such short notice and delivering his usual stunner.

Pat
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks, Pat. The show was fantastic! The new cast is superb. Ruthie H. is as good as promised, and Matteo is indeed another gem. I especially want to mention B2B, which was terrific. Matteo can seriously skip some rope, and we got the piano flip at the end too. David Muscat is a great Mr. B, and Ruthie landed her cartwheel just fine. :D

I do hope I get to see Matteo again before I leave for home.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
MsRF
Small Boy

Post by MsRF »

Monday 12th - Billy Elliot's 9th Birthday!

I was so excited for yesterday night to come around - I was really looking forward to seeing the new cast perform, particularly once I heard there was a new Billy and Debbie starting! To have Stephen Daldry there in person and make the introduction just heightened the sense of anticipation.

I saw both Bradley and Mitchell's first nights (although I don't think Mitchell's technically counts as he was already a pro!) so was really excited for this one. And Matteo did not disappoint - as a Geordie myself, I can say his accent was spot on right from the beginning. I was really impressed. He looks like he has the makings of a great dancer - unfortunately he got ill during MCMT and had to retire so we didn't get to see his Dream Ballet or Electricity, but I'm sure both will be stunning. It must take an insane amount of dedication to get to this stage when he only started dancing at 9, I have the utmost respect for him.

His attitude pose was really beautiful, as were his turns at the end of Solidarity, although he did have a bit of a deer-in-the-headlights expression as he spun! His Angry Dance was also brilliant, full of angry screams. It just shows his professionalism, despite it being his first stage performance EVER, that he kept dancing and didn't look even slightly perturbed when his mic came loose and started dangling around by his chin!

Mitchell picked up the show admirably. I haven't seen him perform very many times, but his Electricity always blows me away. His ballet is just beautiful, especially his pirouettes of which he seems to be able to do endless numbers! I was also over the moon to see Barnaby as Older Billy - I'd heard such great things, and they were all exactly right! He was so elegant, and it was great to finally see some really fast rotations on the wire at the climax of Dream Ballet for a change. (Perhaps it's a good job that Matteo went off - if he was feeling sick and had been spun like that, Barnaby might have needed an umbrella!!)

It was really nice that they let Matteo come on after the Finale for his bows - I'm sure he had been upset he was unable to finish the show and it was good that the audience were able to let him know that they were fully behind him and that they appreciated all his hard work in the first half. I'm sure he will go on to be a fabulous Billy, and I look forward to catching him at his next performance!

As for the new older cast, I think it'll take a few shows for me to get used to it. I loved Ruthie, but she plays Mrs Wilkinson quite differently to Anna-Jane. I did also enjoy the new Tony, Chris Grahamson, but I think he needs a little more time to develop that bond with Billy that Kevin made look so easy.

All in all, this weekend of shows has been brilliant. Not quite sure how I'm going to be able to return to seeing the normal Billy shows after all this excitement! Thank you to all the forum members for being so friendly, it was lovely to finally meet a lot of you, and also thank you to the staff not only for putting on the cakes yesterday, but for making the VP such a welcoming place to be!

Rachel
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

MsRF wrote:(Perhaps it's a good job that Matteo went off - if he was feeling sick and had been spun like that, Barnaby might have needed an umbrella!!)
:lol: :lol: A very good point!!

A nice review, MsRF. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
tomtorfan
Small Boy

Post by tomtorfan »

Allow me to add my voice to the chorus of “hurrahs” heralding the debut of one Matteo Zecca.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the incredible circumstances surrounding this youngster’s arrival on the stage of the VPT last night to perform the most challenging theatrical role ever written for a child.

Rachel has remarked on the fact that this was not just his West End debut…but his first performance ever. That’s amazing in its own right. But it was the remarks in the program insert that really astonish. It turns out that Matteo first saw Billy Elliot three years ago and decided then and there that he would like to play the lead role. This, despite no dance training at all, no history in theatre at any level. How many boys could throw themselves into ballet classes for the first time…and succeed at a level that would pass the toughest audition process in theatre less than two years later?

First performance? You could have fooled me. He hit all his marks, nailed all his lines, skipped rope flawlessly, and managed a neat barani off the piano, all with few discernible signs of first-show nerves.

During the pause necessitated by Matteo’s illness, Stephen Daldry returned to the stage to tell the audience that Matteo had been sick -- not once, but twice -- but still wanted to complete the show (big round of applause). But he said the show’s rules on sick kids wouldn’t allow that so Mitchell would complete the job (great to see him one more time). Daldry then set up the “Deep into the Ground” scene again for the audience and let Mitch and Deka pick it up from there.

When the audience saw that Matteo had managed to join the cast for the final curtain, the applause surged noticeably.

Great to read the other reviews, see some wonderful finale pics from Billy Whiz and DenP, meet up with some old Forum friends and meet a few new ones.

Am writing this from the Netherlands, soon home to its own production of BETM. This country will love this show. Methinks the buzz is already building…

Can you hear it in the distance…
Can you sense it… far away…”
We will find a new tomorrow
When we come to rest at last...
MsRF
Small Boy

Post by MsRF »

Sorry - I had to add (can't believe I forgot in my review), how absolutely adorable Liam Sergeant (new small boy) is! He is the cutest thing, all blond hair and big glasses, he had everyone laughing without even trying! He looked so happy to be on the stage too, I hope to see him again soon!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

MsRF wrote:Sorry - I had to add (can't believe I forgot in my review), how absolutely adorable Liam Sergeant (new small boy) is! He is the cutest thing, all blond hair and big glasses, he had everyone laughing without even trying! He looked so happy to be on the stage too, I hope to see him again soon!
Thanks for mentioning that! He actually added something to the role.....on his first performance. What a little cracker!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I'm absolutely LOVING all your reviews! Tom, you never cease to touch me with your words. Though I hadn't seen the show at all yet when I first did in 2007, I was already a member of the forum here, and so my excitement had built the same beforehand.

Enjoy your other shows, and please keep posting reviews! It sounds like once some of the American fans are back home, you'll still be there, so no pressure or anything. :)

Everyone who has posted and will keep posting reviews, thank you very much!!!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

Wed May 14. My last show in London
Mateao/Mitch
Zak

Wanted so much to see Mateo,s second half but the poor kid got sick again and again Mitch did the second half. The first half was really wonderful. Mateo is a really good little actor,singer,dancer, with a winning smile. The audience was a bit lack luster but really came alive after Mitch's "Elictricity" which was "absolutely stunning" The applause was very loud and long. The audience was really blown away by Mitch,s spectacular dancing.

This was the second time for me seeing Zak. I loved the wounderfully unique and very funny wAy he played the role of Michael.

Now I. Am overcome with "The Great Sadness". I got to 9 shows while here in London and when I get back home to my computer I will get back to all of you with more detailed reflections
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

"WHAT MORE CAN ONE SAY..?"

Is it at all possible to speak justice to the euphoria we experienced over the past week or so? In previous reviews of mine of many similar Billy Elliot "forays," I've always attempted to find a "hook," or two, or an anecdotal thought, here and there, in setting a tone to advance original scrips for such weekend experiences. I'm not precisely sure I can be successful at it this time around, as I believe everyone else will have pretty much "covered the waterfront." Nevertheless, I just feel the urge to at least attempt to put my "two cents worth" in the game. Trying to find all the right words to adequately encapsulate the excitement surrounding what some of us were fortunate to witness at the Victoria Palace throughout the week, leaves me almost on the precipice of speechlessness. I do include the five shows I viewed prior to Monday's "showdown," all of which I found to be vibrantly dynamic beyond a fault, and all of which provided me that "euphoric high" which I've carried back to the States. [By the way, a 36 hour "horror show" of a trip due to a break down of the control towers at O'hare, flight diversion causing us to remain on the plane for some 14 hours; a forced over night stay in Detroit; weather interruptions, and worst of all, the utter confusion and lack of help, communication, and consideration of American Airlines personnel]. Another story altogether!

This was my forth transatlantic venture over several years to the shores of Billy and Micheal's "native land," and their permanent home stage. Every trip has been a discovery of pure mystical delight, specifically to view the extraordinary casts of BETM, and to experience the power by which they have delivered the story lines which must always remain the thrust of this profound production. Furthermore, it is not only Billy and Micheal's storied journey which has engaged me, for as connected to the musical as I am, the challenges of their own discoveries have also been emblematic of the youthful journeys taken in my own life.

"HOW TO COUNT THE WAYS"

My adventure of six performances began with Thursday's matinee, with each subsequent show always seemingly different that the one before. Such has been the total affect all the shows had in delivering me to what must forever remain a soulfully stratospheric height...until, hopefully, some of us might be able to meet again a year from now...that is, if the "powers to be" will allow us long standing "loyalists" to partake of the iconic 10th Anniversary show. Presently, we seem to be locked out of that opportunity.

Of course, we were alerted ahead of time of the leaving and introduction of a few cast members, all of whom I felt delivered the character of their roles in traditionally grand style. For those of us who have seen this musical a "thousand times," whenever there is a "changing of the guard" of sorts, it is always so reassuring how smoothly they fold into the distinctive characters which mean so much in maintaining the integrity of the musical. In support of our extraordinary protagonists who had remained intact for some months, you can bet that the clamour they delivered within the walls of the Victoria Palace, easily exceeded the utter chaos and confusion one encounters trying to gain entrance to the place.

"SO, WHAT WERE THEY LIKE, LIKE"

Allow me to suggest, that of all the weekend show packages I've attended over the years, this time around, I can never recall being so eager to observe a particular block of Billies and Michael's doing their thing. If I were encouraged to dig up a few defining words that could best describe my excitement for each of them, perhaps, I might offer one these descriptions which, of course, could be interchangeable with either one of them.

The Incomparable Redmand Rance

The Ebullient Mitchell Tobin

The effervescent Elliott Hanna

The Exuberant Bradley Parret

The Heroic Matteo Zecca

Complementing these five Billies with the irresistibly humorous, but at times angelic triad of Zak, Zach, and Freddie, and what you have are three Micheal's who delivered performances in that role surpassing a level of perfection which might defy, perhaps, even the expectations of the large congregations in presence. You scramble all seven of these guys, and what you have are "combustible combinations" providing nothing less than a display of "explosive" talent in delivery. You certainly don't have to dig very deeply into your database to wonder how on earth these young guys are so spectacular in pulling off a role of "intimacy" and sensitivity to the extent they do. All I can say is having traveled over half of North America and the Atlantic, and having done so expecting all forms of "fireworks" during my adventure with each of them, I'm thrilled to announce that their "rocket" displays of contrasting colors never disappointed for a moment.

"A FEW ONE-LINERS WILL DO IT"

Watching the "Incomparable" Redmand Rance for 2 and 3/4 hours, is nothing less than observing the pristine polish visible in a priceless jewel the size of the "Hope Diamond." The first time I saw him as Billy some months ago, his role interpretation simply melted me inside and out, such to an extent, he very nearly brought me to tears. I capitulated totally in succumbing to the penetration of his emotions, as his rendition so effectively complements this story, that it empowers him to thoroughly dominate the stage. He visually stuns his audience by catapulting them into an orbit they may never have thought possible.
Redmand causes me to remain so enthralled by his gut-wrenching interpretation, it's as though I were discovering an entirely new corner of the universe. To me, his "Billy" is nothing less that a pure force of nature and artistic perfection. The utter subtlety displayed in his telegenic expressions and animation, and the emotional insight he provides you in the role, easily draws you into Billy and Michael's varied complexities. Redmand never for a moment cuts a corner in his presentation. There never seems to be a "stone unturned." What you have is an example of virtuosity in performance that can leave one thoroughly exhausted. So emotionally involved did I find myself by shows end, in his final poses and with that joyful facial expression of his, he reminded me of so many beacons of light that can easily light a night sky. Not simply because Saturday night was his final performance, I could have endlessly applauded and shouted for his efforts until the sun came up. When I think back over the years on the history of my viewing this musical, Redmand's interpretations will remain as deep and as rich as any I can remember. He will always be an integral part of my Victoria Palace experience. The vibrancy of Redmand's interpretation as Billy have been exemplified by nothing less than a poetry of determination combined with a distinct persona of softness which has forever captured my soul.

Having seen and spoken to him so frequently on the American Tour, I have come to watch Mitchell Tobin as though he were no less than a dear friend. Speaking of jewels, this "golden nugget" of brilliant talent offers an embodiment of visceral soulfulness and mixture of balletic/athletic beauty, he is capable of carrying anyone interested on a ride to the "promised land." He personally invites each of us to become one with him experiencing his pain in "The Letter," as he wrings emotion with each syllable he utters in magnifying what for him was a life changing experience. It was the most emotionally wrenching portrayal of "The Letter" scene I can ever recall experiencing. Mitch actually had to pull himself together while initiating the B to B episode. Then after we've been whipsawed within the fury of his "Angry Dance," he longingly guides us through his poignantly gentle but determined expression of hope exhibited through a robust "Electricity." As with Redmand, there remains a combination of glorious elegance and the explosiveness of fast-twitched athleticism in their dancing to the extent it seems to pulsate through you from head, to toe, to soul. Watching them in concert with Michael, always reminds me of the perfect synchronization of a fast paced heart beat. Such would be the nature of the most conditioned of dancer/athletes.

Then, of course, you have the "irresistible" and angelic Elliott Hanna whose performances remain both mesmerizing and addicting to me. No one was more delighted than I to welcome him back to the fold after an extended absence. His deceptive facial expressions are so delightfully magnified, they create a joy similar to what one might experience staring longingly into the smiling face of a Cheshire cat. Those expressions could well be transfixing enough to deliver some audience members to a virtual hypnotic high. Combining his persona with a scintillating level of dancing perfection, the confidence displayed the moment he hits the stage is enough to convince me that if he were staring into the jaws of a bear, it would not phase him in the least. I don't know, I just find this young performer casting a charismatic aura which one can never seem to catch, but which emits both beauty and a sense of innocence in its delivery. I'm left to wonder how it's possible for this little guy to generate such a breath taking contrast between his "Angry Dance," and the tempered purity he shows in his "Electricity," both of which generated a "white hot" heat throughout the VP. As I've watched this youngster perform, I can't help observing an air of mystery about him which continues to remain elusive, but which is also a mystery I have no desire to solve. This is a young artiste/dancer so totally magical in his tenacious flair, one cannot help having been deeply empowered by the extravagance of this performance.

Our Frenchman's visceral aggression shown in his dancing numbers provided enough energy to scramble my senses. Bradley Parett's contemporary flourishes of his "Electricity," only served to transfer my imagination to an altogether different level of grandeur which totally penetrates to my very core. Having seen Bradley's initial performances in early December, I admit to being thrilled to see such a metamorphosis of virtuosity it simply struck me dumb. His Billy interpretation this last week literally quickened my heart as well as it brought a sense of real joy to my spirit, and for one very important reason; His performance was "perfect." His opulent voice and innovative acting has become so strong and steadfast over the long haul the guy easily set me ablaze. Bradley's talent represents such an impulse of force, you dare not take your eyes off the delicacy of his on stage movements least you deny yourself of something extraordinary taking place before your very eyes. It's exactly the feeling one hopes to experience while watching these guys maturing into the Billy's we revere so deeply.

I was no less disappointed than Yecca must have been to take ill prior to the second act of his debut. As he appeared standing, hands on hips, staring at the platform floor while dad began his number, I sense something had to be amiss. It would be silly to surmise what might have hit him. Suffice it to say, he had exploded with a highly charged force of energy throughout his "Angry Dance," such that I was stunned by his performance which I felt was every bit worthy of a seasoned pro.
Matteo has all the charm and warmth in expression we so admire in our leading protagonists, and I will be in anticipation of seeing a great Billy as the weeks and months pass us by. It was a truly "Heroic" initial performance by Yecca, whose superb qualities were obvious in the first act and his "Angry Dance," and which remain fortuitous for terrific things to come from him.

"HOW MAY IT ALL ADD UP?"

I found the radiance projected by these guys so penetrating that each of them can do nothing less than provide inspiration and bring a total sense of joy to anyone's heart. The mesmerizing "wiliness" displayed through the engaging expressions they so skillfully generate, seems to allow them to fully control both the tenor and character of their audience. In my opinion, their prodigious talent instantly draws one into the total persona of "Billy" and the agonizing route of his personal journey. That is precisely what would be expected of the most consummate of professionals in fulfilling the role.

The privilege of "artiste" I experienced this past week provides a number of personal comparisons for me, such as listening to a soaring symphony of strings; perhaps, viewing a priceless portraiture in a museum, or perhaps, even being dwarfed by a "larger that life" bronze sculpture so majestic in stature, it takes your breath away. Regardless of which artistry you choose, one can't help but being showered with a sense of grandeur watching these splendid kids delivering the Billy Elliot story. It is the extraordinary well-rounded professional skills of these guys which allows one to love Billy and Michael as intimately as we do.

Respectfully Submitted,

Colin

Return to “Reviews - London”