Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: May 2014 Reviews

Post by ERinVA »

Friday evening, May 9th

Mitchell

Freddie

Millie

It was so nice to see Mitchell on stage again after almost a year since Hartford, CT. The first time I saw him, in Richmond, VA, I told the person sitting next to me that Mitchell was a star, and of course I was right. The London show is very fortunate to have been able to bring him into the fold to further confirm to the London crowd the quality of American Billys. His performance was as good as I remembered, but with a little more edge to it, as one would expect from a more teen-aged character. His accent now fits in perfectly with the stronger Geordie of the London cast, and his dancing has just gone from strength to more strength. But the thing that most distinguished the performance for me was Mitchell’s Letter scene. He literally had tears running down his face and dropping on the floor. I don’t know how he manages this on a regular basis, but apparently he does it in every performance. Amazing! His goodbye scene with Mrs. W. was also a bit teary. In that case, it may have been because that was their last performance together.

This show was my first time to see Freddie as Michael, and he did not disappoint. He has some wonderfully funny bits in the Boxing Scene. I must say, he is the only Michael I have ever seen who inspects his arm pits and scratches his bum while George is talking to Billy. I love that each Michael has a chance to work out his own stage business in that scene, and Freddie has come up with some very funny stuff.

The Toilet Scene with Mitchell and Millie was back to the normal timing, with Billy coming out of the stall on the line, “I’ve never really thought about it.”

At this show, Dad was played by David Bardsley. I just want to put in a good word for him. This man has been the alternate Dad for many years, and I have seen him play the role many times. His take on Dad is different from Deka’s, but I have always liked it. One thing I missed, though was the bit he used to do when Dad and Billy are packing the suitcase, and Dad pulls the ballet shoes out of his pocket and hands them to Billy to put in the case. He used to hold them up and make dog ears out of them, but he doesn’t do that any more. I always thought it was a sweet touch.

All in all, it was an excellent show. At the chair lift at the end, I noticed that Mitchell ended with “Finish!” as was always the custom on the tour.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Saturday, May 10th - evening performance.

Many cast members left and here are a few photos from the night.

Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Thank you all for the reviews!!! It's wonderful to hear how you're all doing! And love the photos as well!

:D
Sean
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

As you look through the excellent photos above from Billy Whiz, take note of the 7th one. During Deka's words of praise for the leavers, he called out Tom Fox (Tall Boy) and Max Willis (Small Boy) and had them take their bow. This was the only time I've ever seen a tall and/or small boy get their own bows. It was a nice touch. :D
:/
Katwoman
Small Boy

Post by Katwoman »

Thank you all so much for the great photographs and reviews. I really appreciate them, because I missed out on what seems to have been a wonderful show. Three weeks ago, I was on the point of booking this weekend in London, when my 88 year old mum had a fall. Fortunately, there were no broken bones, but as she can still barely hobble about because of sprains and severe bruising, my trip did not go ahead. I had the strangest feeling that it might be Redmand's last night and my fears were confirmed when I saw the announcement on this site yesterday afternoon. Since he started in BETM, I have seen the show 12 times and not once have I seen a Redmand performance!! I know it's the luck of the rota, but what are the odds?
Anyway, to all those who have contributed with photos and comments, thanks again. Good luck to all the cast who left last night: I saw them all at some point or another, EXCEPT REDMAND!!!!!
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Excellent pictures as always, David ! I always love your "final performance" photos. They really capture the fun and the excitement of the moment. I especially enjoyed the small boy caught up in the curtain, and the last one of Redmand and some of the other cast members from after the show. Was that one taken outside the stage door, or inside the theatre ?
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

The evening's performance was a most fitting tribute to three incredible actors, Redmand, Millie and Freddie; as well as the rest of the company that was leaving the show. It was great that the audience seemed to be filled with their supporters.

Deka gave a moving tribute to all those leaving the cast; these moments are very moving (Janet Dickenson did the same in Hartford); I was pleased that he singled out several who are normally lost in the throng, such as Tall and Small Boys. I will miss Simon Ray Harvey's fantastic Mr Braithwaite; Kevin Wathen's powerful Tony; Helen French (so versatile); and really all of them: but I have to single out Anna-Jane Casey who brought the role of Mrs Wilkinson to new heights for me. I am quite sure the tears (and wishes of 'Good 'luck') she shed as she said her last goodbye to Redmand that night were genuine. She was not alone.

There was a custom on the US Tour that, when one cast member departed, the rest could be heard behind the closed curtain singing 'Happy Trails'. I could not hear that after Saturday's performance, but I could in my mind as I left that most memorable, moving and exhilarating performance. So, to those departing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCr4TtJezjg
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Saturday 10 May

A last night extravaganza

Having had a little time to reflect on the events of Saturday evening I still cannot find all the right words that will do the show justice. I am sure that the day will live long in the memory on many people, not least the 1500 or so packed in to the Victoria Palace theatre, many of whom may now be converts to the show, but more likely converts to the Redmand Rance Fan Club.

This was, I believe, my tenth 'Billy' leaving show. It is hard to say whether or not it was the best, but it was certainly up there with the best I have seen. Such nights are always full of mixed emotions and this was certainly no different. The theatre was buzzing long before the start of the show and the pre-show speech by David Massey. Apart from Redmand, it was also to be the last night for a Small Boy, a Tall/Posh Boy, a Michael, a Debbie, a Tony, a Mrs Wilkinson, plus other alternate/ensemble members, some of whom had been in the show for three years or more. Many in the cast, therefore has 'something to play for', and, boy, did they put on a show. Congratulations to one and all, you did BETM proud.

The star of the show, though, without a shadow of doubt, was a 13 year old from Hampshire, going by the name of Redmand Rance. Never, since his debut in August 2012, has he lit up the stage as much as he did on Saturday evening. Words that immediately come to mind are awesome, stunning, stupendous, but do they really do his performance justice? I am not so sure. Redmand may be small in stature, but in his time as Billy he has gone from strength to strength, not only physically, but in his acting, his dancing, in fact, his whole presence on stage. Everything came together perfectly on Saturday night, with, for me, a performance to remember.

At every opportunity the audience applauded, not only for Redmand, of course, but also for Freddie Butterfield ( Michael) and Millie Thornton ( Debbie), who played their parts in their own inimitable styles. Tears were soon in evidence, not least from me, as Redmand completed his 'Solidarity' pirouettes and looked out in amazement to listen to some thunderous applause, during an emotional Letter scene, during Dream Ballet, a perfect example from Redmand and Lee Hoy. However, the whole place erupted into cheering, whooping, whistling after Redmand's superbly performed Ballet Electricity. A standing ovation that lasted for about two minutes, was the loudest and longest in my memory. It only ended when Deka ( Dad) moved towards Redmand with the coat and bag. Redmand's tears were there for all to see and I am sure he was stunned by the reception he received. Many, many years ago Perry Como sang of Magic Moments. This was one such moment.

The farewell scenes were all played out with feeling, none more so when Anna-Jane Casey ( Mrs Wilkinson) wished Billy 'Good Luck'. And so, the final curtain came down, to more thunderous applause. As usual Redmand's Finale was full of fun and smiles. Deka then came forward to make a little speech to allow the senior cast members leaving to 'take a bow', then introduced Tom( Tall Boy), Max ( Small Boy), Millie, Freddie and, finally, Redmand to receive the audience's appreciation. They all deserved it.

I have written many times before about Redmand, many words, all deserved. He has shown, without fail, that he is a fine, fine actor, a most excellent dancer, someone with personality and a genuine feel for what is required on stage. I wish him well for the future.
Finally, many thanks to Amanda ( Mum) for bringing Redmand out to the front of the theatre after the show to allow fans to take photographs and obtain signatures, a gesture very much appreciated.

This was certainly a night to remember and one where I can honestly say that I was glad to witness.
tomtorfan
Small Boy

Post by tomtorfan »

Just time enough to dash off a few quick notes before tonight's anniversary show...

Other Forum members have already commented ably on the excellent performances the London BETM crew put on, so I won't go on. Well, maybe just a little bit.

Friday night, May 9:

Mitchell is a bit taller than he was in Hartford, and his dancing is even stronger. But the defining characteristic of his Billy remains his astonishing ability to turn on the waterworks during the Letter scenes. Tonight, as per his usual, the tears are streaming down his face. But it went a bit further at this performance. During the scene where Mrs. W. gives him the audition tape, Anna-Jane gives him the reassuring hug we've all seen Mrs W. dole out to countless Billys before. But this is the last time Anna-Jane will get a chance to share this scene with Mitchell. She kisses him gently on the top of his head. Twice. That's all it takes. Mitchell's flood gates open up again. It's not in the script this time...just in his heart...and that sets off Anna-Jane too. One of the weekend's "magic moments" dancingboy was referring to. As Deka Walmsley joked after the Saturday evening show, "We've had enough tears lately to solve the world's drought problems."

Saturday matinee, May 10:

My first time seeing Bradley. What a great actor he is. Subtle touches in unexpected spots. For example, when Debbie ask how he'd like it if she slagged off his mom, Bradley heaves a sigh and looks down before answering -- in a quieter voice than you'd expect -- "Me mam's dead." I can't tell you how effective that was. Add in a ready smile, a kick-ass Electricity and a devastating Angry Dance...and you have quite a package.

The biggest laugh of the performance came during the tutu scene. I don't know what exactly went wrong, but Zak couldn't quite get into the tutu. I don't know if he put both legs through the same leg opening...or if he put the entire thing on upside down. Whatever happened, the straps were nowhere to be found. With mounting horror, Zak realized he would have do the scene with the tutu scrunching his torso like a straitjacket. What did he do? He let loose with the loudest F-bomb I've ever heard at any performance of BETM. Bradley was howling...along with the rest of the audience. But Zak was a real trouper and managed to finish his little routine despite looking like one of the cooling towers at Three Mile Island.

Saturday evening, May 10:

My first, last, and only time seeing the amazing Redmand. And what a warm embrace he and the rest of the cast were given by the audience on this very special night. Whenever a Billy has a last show, you wish that everything goes well. Tonight, it was perfect. Redmand's final Electricity --watched by cast members from the wings -- was one for the archives. And as mentioned before, it produced the loudest, longest standing "O" I've ever seen at any BETM. It just went on...and on...and on. After a while, Redmand had to lower his arms and just soak it in.

The final remarks of Deka's were so special. He asked all the cast members who were leaving to remain standing and told the others to sit. As we all know, there were a lot of people left standing on that stage. He thanked all the leaving adults for their terrific work but didn't single out any of them by name. He reserved that for the kids. He told the two boys (Tall and Small - a.k.a. Tom and Max) to come forward for special recognition. He then asked the audience to hold their applause until he got out of the way, moving to the side of the stage so these two boys could enjoy their only spotlight all by themselves. Such a classy move. He did the same for Millie and Freddie. And then came Redmand. "Normally, we don't single anyone out," Deka said. "But on the marquee outside, it doesn't say Jackie Elliot. It says Billy Elliot," he told a clearly moved Redmand. Then, with one hand on Redmand's shoulder, he told him that none of the adult cast members on that stage could have done what he had done when they were his age. None. Wow. "We all love ya," he concluded. The audience, to put it mildly, agreed.

Tonight, the amazing renewal of BETM continues.....
We will find a new tomorrow
When we come to rest at last...
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

I'd like to add my thanks to all who have given those of us who couldn't be at the VPT Saturday evening such vivid descriptions (and actual images) of all that transpired. Obviously it was a very emotional and momentous chapter in BETM history and I'm sure an expereience those of you who were there will treasure for years to come.

Despite the bittersweetness of a leavers show, and especially one where one of the leavers is a Billy, it is an end to a chapter. But then, the page is turned and a new chapter begins as it will tonight as the show's 9th Birthday is observed and many new cast members continue to bring the show to life.

In the most recent review just above this post, I love the line tomtorfan used to describe it:
tomtorfan wrote:Tonight, the amazing renewal of BETM continues.....
I, for one, can't wait for tonight's reviews to fill this thread.

Thanks again to all for sharing your thoughts about this weekend's shows.

Return to “Reviews - London”